Turkish president approves closure of schools run by Erdogan rival


Date posted: March 13, 2014

ANKARA

(Reuters) – Turkish President Abdullah Gul approved on Wednesday a law closing private preparatory schools, many of which are a source of income and influence for an Islamic cleric accused by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan of seeking to topple him.

The move highlights Gul’s solidarity with Erdogan as the prime minister battles a corruption scandal he says has been orchestrated by the cleric, Fethullah Gulen, whose “Hizmet” (Service) network wields influence in the police and judiciary.

Education is central to the mission of Gulen’s movement. Millions of students prepare at the cram centres for entrance examinations to win limited spots at state high schools and universities.

Tensions between Erdogan and the U.S.-based cleric, formerly allies, have been simmering for years but boiled over when the graft scandal erupted in December with the detention of three ministers’ sons and businessmen close to the prime minister.

The scandal, which Erdogan has cast as a plot to oust him by a “parallel state” of Gulen’s followers, came weeks after the government moved to shut down the prep schools, worsening the public row with the cleric’s followers.

Parliament voted earlier this month to close the schools by September 1, 2015 but the move was subject to the approval of Gul, a figure seen by many in Turkey as having been closer to the Gulen movement than the prime minister.

Erdogan, currently campaigning around the country for municipal elections on March 30, has responded to the corruption scandal by reassigning thousands of police officers and hundreds of judges and prosecutors in what his aides have described as a bid to cleanse the judiciary of Gulen’s influence.

Gulen’s followers say they are the victims of a witch hunt.

Source: Reuters , March 13, 2014


Related News

Operation against the Hizmet movement soon!

The AK Party government sees the corruption probes as a coup launched against it by the Hizmet movement and it has convinced itself that the probes are a defensive move in response to the effort to close prep schools. Already Erdoğan has presented movement supporters as spies and succeeded in dividing the state bureaucracy, families, friends and neighbors in the country. Unfortunately, this polarization in society is quite dangerous.

Senegalese PM Addresses Gulen Movement Conference in Dakar

Abdoul Mbaye* Headmaster of Yavuz Selim Institutes, members of Atlantic Senegal-Turkey Association (ATSA), distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, It is a great pleasure for me to join the members of Atlantic Senegal-Turkey Association (ATSA) to welcome the eminent people guest who, with this conference, will enrich the collective reflection on the theme “Diversity and Cohesion […]

AK Party takes action to expel deputy who opposed closure of prep schools

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) referred Kütahya deputy İdris Bal — who opposed the government’s planned closure of prep schools (dershanes) — to the party’s disciplinary board for expulsion on Thursday. Bal, reiterating his opposition to the closure of prep schools, he said that such a move would violate the Constitution.

Police officials who carried out graft operation detained in raids

As many as 100 high-ranking members of the police force were detained in a large-scale operation which began late Monday night/early Tuesday morning in over 20 provinces as part of the government’s attempt to contain an embarrassing graft scandal which has implicated several ministers and dozens of pro-government businessmen. The operation has been described as […]

520 children of imprisoned mothers growing up in jail, yet Turkey celebrates Children’s Day

As Turkey celebrated the 97th anniversary of the foundation of the Turkish Parliament and Children’s Day on April 23, at least 520 children with imprisoned mothers have been deprived of enjoying the day as they are obliged to grow up in jail.

When the masks have fallen

It seems that the judiciary will be forced to investigate the claims of a so-called illegal organization, and sham trials will be performed to intimidate the Hizmet movement and cover up the corruption claims that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, by taking tactics from the former Ergenekon supporters nested within the army, the bureaucracy, business circles, the media and the judiciary.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet movement applauded at friendship dinner in Italy

Catholic University of Leuven establishes Fethullah Gülen Chair

Police awaiting outside hospital to detain woman who just gave birth

Kimse Yok Mu organizes international cartoon competition: ‘Refugees’

Ufuk Dialogue Foundation honours The Sun MD, others

Afghan official lauds Turkey’s education drive

Irrationality rules

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News