TUSKON says 2 businessmen threatened members with ‘blacklisting’


Date posted: March 4, 2014

İSTANBUL

Two Turkish businessmen from the Central Anatolian city of Konya have threatened a business confederation by telling it to “cut ties” with Turkey’s largest volunteer-based grassroots movement, the Hizmet movement, or be placed on a government blacklist of entrepreneurs affiliated with the movement, the head of the business confederation has said.

Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) Chairman Rızanur Meral told the CNN Türk television station on Monday evening that members of the confederation had received threats from pro-government businesspeople.

Due to allegations that the Hizmet movement is working to undermine his political power, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has openly threatened business groups affiliated with the Hizmet movement with a “total crackdown” and described them as “traitors.” Erdoğan has failed to provide evidence to prove his claim so far, while the Hizmet movement has dismissed all such claims fabricated by pro-government media as “baseless.” However, Erdoğan’s speeches have not directly named prominent Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is the inspiration behind the Hizmet movement.

“Two businessmen that we know from Konya came to TUSKON members and warned them to distance themselves from Hizmet, or else they would be put on a government list of companies affiliated with the group. … Our members said this is not a problem, and the government can go ahead with blacklisting them,” Meral told CNN Türk.

Referring to an illegally recorded phone conversation in which TUSKON Secretary-General Mustafa Günay consults Gülen about a tender for a refinery in Uganda, saying a Turkish company — Koç Holding, if possible — should enter it, Meral said, “This is normal conduct.”

After being asked whether TUSKON has been affected by Erdoğan’s threats, Meral asserted, “We fear none but God.”

Over the weekend Meral invited Erdoğan, who had called on the Hizmet movement to form a political party, to “join in trade and make his money in equal competition with other market players.”

Source: Todays Zaman , March 4, 2014


Related News

Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

Turkey’s Capital Markets Board has asked to be informed of future issues, Cengiz Onder, head of investor relations at Bank Asya, said in a phone interview today from Istanbul. An official at the board, asking not to be named under government policy, said it’s seeking further documentation from Bank Asya before sales can resume, without giving further comment.

Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has geared up his rhetoric against the movement of U.S. based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling for a boycott of the movement’s schools.

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

In Pennsylvania, Gülen and his aides scrambled to denounce the coup attempt as it unfolded. “As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt,” Gülen said in a statement, referring to Turkey’s spotty democratic history. The U.S. also was quick to condemn the coup attempt, but not quick enough for many in the Turkish government and media.

Couple jailed for watching Fethullah Gülen videos at Internet cafe

An Ankara couple has been sent to prison after they were caught watching videos belonging to US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen at an internet cafe earlier this week.

Gülen says many would like to be in detained journalists’ shoes

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he believes many people, including he himself, would like to be in the shoes of Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı and Samanyolu Broadcasting Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who were detained in a police operation on Sunday, implying that it is an honor for the journalists to be in custody under Turkey’s current circumstances.

Return to Turkey or lose citizenship, gov’t tells Gülen followers

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) will revoke the citizenship of followers of the faith-based Gülen movement who sought refuge abroad due to a government crackdown on alleged movement sympathizers if they do not return to Turkey within a certain period of time, the pro-government Sabah daily reported on Thursday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Minister Şahin praises Journalists and Writers Foundation for courageous coverage

Kimse Yok Mu did not forget Bangladeshis in Eid al-Adha

IFLC sends messages of peace in Germany, calls for Turkey to widen its horizon

NBA player and Erdoğan-critic Enes Kanter’s father arrest in Turkey

Fethullah Gülen undergoes successful cataract surgery

Friendship Dinner hosted by Pacific Dialogue Foundation in Philippines

Fethullah Gulen’s poetry in songs calls for Peace

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News