Turkish press council condemns false reports on Gülen movement


Date posted: February 24, 2014

İSTANBUL

The High Committee of the Press Council in Turkey, following an appeal by the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has examined certain articles from the Sabah and Takvim dailies and condemned them for violating its basic principles of journalism.

The Press Council in Turkey, expressing discontent over the articles for making false statements and slandering the faith-based Gülen movement, on Monday condemned the dailies for violating the principles of journalism. The council condemned Sabah daily reporters Abdurrahman Şimşek, Ferhat Ünlü and Serkan Bayraktar for running a defamatory headline targeting the Hizmet movement, for specifically referring to Osman Hilmi Özdil as “The police imam of the Hizmet movement” (Cemaatin Emniyet İmamı) and for other slanderous allegations by the dailies that claimed “a palace” was built for Gülen in Ankara. The council also condemned the Takvim daily for running similar headlines on the same day targeting the movement.

Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, decided to appeal to the council regarding the articles in question, after the dailies refused to publish a correction approved by a public notary. The council gathered on Feb. 19 to assess the appeal and decided that the complaint was valid, highlighting that there was a violation of the sixth article of the principles of journalism, which prohibits a claim being published before its reliability is proven as far as is possible.

The council asserted that the dailies continued publishing articles which carried claims a residence was constructed for Gülen even after the owner of the residence, Akın İpek, refuted the claims and a statement from İpek was published by the same dailies.  The council drew attention to the ninth and 10th articles of the journalism principles which say that “no one can be deemed guilty unless it is proven so by law” and “crimes cannot be attributed to a person until convincing reasons regarding the accusation are found.”

The council stated that there has been a violation of article 16 of the press principles which requires journalists to respect media outlets’ right of reply and to have false repots corrected.

The council’s decision has also been published on its website.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 24, 2014


Related News

Hrant Topakiyan’s feelings about the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Hrant Topakiyan, Kentim Gazette, April 5, 2010 Journalists and Writers Foundation = Love For many years I have attended the love-filled Ramadan iftar dinners arranged by the Journalists and Writers Foundation. My Lord allowed me to meet very valuable people at these dinners. Since it is impossible to write all their names in this column, […]

PM Erdoğan also slammed me for my questions on Uludere, says journalist

Ahmet Dönmez, a leading correspondent based in Ankara with the Zaman daily who was sharply rebuked by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan after asking him a question about recent allegations of corruption during a press conference on Feb. 12 and who was proclaimed both a national hero and a traitor on social media outlets shortly thereafter, says that he was also reproached by Erdoğan once before and that this is indicative of the state of journalism in Turkey.

Bank Asya says raising capital, set for growth

“Bank Asya expects to raise its total capital by TL 300 million to TL 1.2 billion. … We sold an 18 percent stake in the retail chain A101 as part of this plan,” the bank said. Bank Asya said its capital adequacy ratio is 14.8 percent — well above the conventionally accepted minimum level of 12 percent — and that it expects to enjoy further growth in 2014. The bank said it expects the capital adequacy ratio to reach 17 percent, making it one of the five strongest (in capital) banks in Turkey. Previously, the bank held 21.84 percent of the shares in A101.

The Other Side of the Ocean – What Happened in Pennsylvania?

During the time when the Gezi events were at their peak, a certain group in the United States planned to carry out a demonstration in the area where Fethullah Gulen is currently residing by organizing over the Internet, similar to the way they had in Turkey. For weeks they shared with tens of thousands of […]

Police raid house of 96-year-old philanthropist in İzmir

Police raided the house of 96-year-old Mustafa Şık, a prominent philanthropist, in İzmir on Friday as part of a government-initiated “witch hunt” operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement.

France sentences attacker targeting Gulenists as Turkey releases gunman in similar case

A 28-year-old man of Turkish origin has been handed down a prison sentence of eight months and a fine of 23,000 euros by a French court after he attacked several institutions affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in the country.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet movement to address Armenian issue

Dr. Esposito: The Gulen Movement Introduces Turkey To The World

German view of Hizmet Movement (1)

Crackdown on journalists leaves void in post-coup Turkey

Turkish schools boost Turkey-Brazil ties

TAA to hold annual Turkic American Convention in Washington

1915 tragedy to be commemorated with foreign delegation for first time

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News