Islamic lender raises capital after massive gov’t withdrawal

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: January 27, 2014

ISTANBUL – Reuters

Bank Asya, Islamic lender known to be having close links with Fethullah Gülen, has increased its cash capital after last week’s claimed deposit withdrawal.

Turkish Islamic lender Bank Asya has made a cash capital increase on the back of claims that state-owned companies and institutional depositors have withdrawn millions of Turkish Liras of the bank’s total deposits.

The lender said it had decided to make a cash capital increase of 33 percent to 1.2 billion liras ($515 million) and was selling an 18 percent stake in retailer Yeni Mağazacılık (A101) for 298 million liras.

The bank last week said it had weathered mass deposit withdrawals, which the media said were orchestrated by government supporters as part of a backlash against a corruption scandal blamed on an influential cleric.

Turkish media had said companies and depositors close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have withdrawn 4 billion liras ($1.79 billion), some 20 percent of the bank’s total deposits, over the last month to try to sink the lender.

In an interview with Reuters last week, Bank Asya chief executive Ahmet Beyaz had admitted the withdrawal, without specifying the amount.

“The deposit withdrawal was a significant sum, but new deposits worth more than half that amount were placed in the bank, making it possible for us to manage our liquidity,” Beyaz had said Jan. 21, underscoring the bank is not at risk.

Beyaz said the bank’s founders included sympathizers of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who officials accuse of being behind the corruption investigation.

Despite being a sympathizer of the U.S.-based cleric, Beyaz also underlined that his bank did not belong to Gülen’s Cemaat religious community network: “This bank does not belong to the Cemaat. Its founders include people close to the Cemaat.”

Source: Hurriyet Daily , January 27, 2014


Related News

Dangerous and unnecessary tension

MARKAR ESAYAN Turkey has been experiencing heated tension over the prep school issue for a while. And unfortunately, the discussion was taken out of the educational context and has become a political issue. The Taraf daily, in its recent reports and with the official documents it published, argued that the Justice and Development Party (AK […]

Who’s conspiring against Erdoğan?

Erdoğan has recently been verbally attacking everyone, including even his own allies. In his most recent statement he threatened Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, saying that his government “will reach your caverns and tear you into pieces.

Fethullah Gulen’s “old friend” detained by İzmir police despite suffering from advanced Alzheimer’s disease

An 81-year-old Turkish man, who is known as a “longtime friend of Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, was detained by police in the Turkish province of İzmir on Monday due to his links to the Gülen group.

Erdogan’s diplomats have become ‘Gulenist-busters’

A diplomat told me that there was no way he would do what Tayyip Erdogan was asking him to do. It was against everything he held dear: chasing one’s own citizens without any credible evidence. Soon, many diplomats who refused to turn into Gulenist-hunters were not promoted, demoted or, worse, expelled from the ministry.

Prof. Nanda: Extraditing Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would erode the rule of law

Turkey’s strategic importance cannot be overestimated. However, Erdogan’s personal friendship with Trump alone cannot resolve the difficulties. Even if Trump may be willing to find a way to extradite Gulen or find another country to accept him in order to placate a NATO partner for geopolitical reasons, he must not. The damage to the rule of law would outweigh any benefit Trump hopes to gain from such an action.

Students from 140 countries to participate in Turkish Olympiads this year

A total of 2,000 students from 140 countries will attend the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which brings together hundreds of foreign students studying at Turkish schools around the world, this year. A press conference was held by a member of the International Turkish Olympiads organizing committee, Işılay Saygın, on Monday in İzmir to give details […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu aid cheers up Albanian community in Petrella

Fethullah Gulen: I consider the coup attempt as a serious “terror coup”

Gülen movement challenges Islamophobia, contributes to peace

Dialogue advocacy group ‘disturbed’ by Erdoğan’s harassment of Hizmet

Int’l scholars discuss ijtihad, qiyas at İstanbul symposium

Congratulations to Fethullah Gulen and Izzettin Dogan

UN and OSCE experts deplore crackdown on journalists and media outlets in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News