Bank Asya says it weathers ‘stress test’, still strong


Date posted: January 22, 2014

İSTANBUL, REUTERS

Turkish Islamic lender Bank Asya said it had weathered mass deposit withdrawals, which the media said were orchestrated by government supporters as part of a backlash against a corruption scandal blamed on an influential cleric.

Turkish media say state-owned companies and institutional depositors loyal to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have withdrawn TL 4 billion ($1.79 billion), some 20 percent of the bank’s total deposits, over the last month to try to sink the lender. The government has declined to comment. Bank Asya’s chief executive Ahmet Beyaz said the bank’s founders included sympathizers of cleric Fethullah Gülen, who officials say is behind the corruption investigation posing one of the biggest challenges to Erdoğan’s 11-year rule. But he said the bank was not at risk.

“The deposit withdrawal was a significant sum, but new deposits worth more than half that amount were placed in the bank, making it possible for us to manage our liquidity,” Beyaz told Reuters in an interview late on Tuesday. He said the new deposits came from ordinary citizens, supportive of the bank and its ethos. Despite being a sympathizer of the US-based cleric, Beyaz underlined that his bank did not belong to Gülen’s Cemaat religious community network: “This bank does not belong to the Cemaat. Its founders include people close to the Cemaat.”

Erdoğan has reacted furiously to the corruption investigation, decrying an attempted “judicial coup” his supporters see as orchestrated by Cemaat. He has reassigned thousands of police officers, more than a hundred judges and prosecutors, and purged official bodies of executives he suspects of being close to the cleric. Beyaz declined to say how much money had been withdrawn, but said the bank had been “comfortably positioned” on liquidity due to expectations the US Federal Reserve would cut the stimulus that sent cheap cash flowing to markets such as Turkey. “Some big companies withdrew their deposits upon request, but they may change their minds in time and bring their deposits back. I don’t believe in animosities in business,” Beyaz said. Bank Asya’s deposits at the end of third quarter of 2013 were TL 19.5 billion.

Smear campaigns

Beyaz warned “smear campaigns” about lenders’ health would create systematic risks for the Turkish banking system after pro-government media speculated that his bank could be seized by Turkey’s Saving Deposit Insurance Fund because it was illiquid.

“Bank Asya has a capital adequacy ratio of 14.8 percent, is constantly supervised and audited, and is without a single negative report against it. Any action against such a bank would be impossible to explain to the world,” Beyaz said. The political turf war sparked by the corruption scandal has driven investors away from Turkish assets in recent weeks, sending the lira to record lows. The turmoil comes at a bad time for Turkey, when the reduction in US monetary stimulus is already hammering emerging market assets. Erdoğan has cast both the corruption probe and anti-government protests last summer as part of a foreign-backed plot to undermine Turkey’s international standing.

Beyaz said the bank expected little or no impact from the deposit withdrawal on its 2014 targets – Bank Asya expects loan growth of 20 percent in 2014, asset growth of 22 percent and deposit growth of 18 percent. The lender is also planning sukuk issues worth $500 million and 800 million lira this year.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 22, 2014


Related News

Islamabad High Court: Pak-Turk Schools will not be handed over to Turkish Government

Justice Aamer Farooq of the Islamabad High Court on Friday disposed of a petition filed by Pak-Turk Educational Foundation against the possible handover of its schools to another Turkish educational network, the Maarif Foundation.

Turkish Olympiad students visit top level gov’t officials in Ankara

İPEK ÜZÜM, ANKARA Students coming from all round the world to participate in the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and which this year brought together 2,000 students from 140 countries, visited the Ankara Governor and the ministers of energy and EU affairs in Ankara on Tuesday. A group of […]

School officials to sue the Turkish ambassador for defamation

In response to statements made by the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia on Monday, officials from the Zaman International School (ZIS) yesterday denied any links with terrorist organizations, saying the ambassador’s claims were unfounded and lacked evidence.

Purge accelerates Islamist radicalization in Turkey

The ongoing purge leaves no room for doubt that the Turkish government is ready to go to any lengths to eliminate the Gülen movement. The current rise in homegrown Islamist radicalization is another sign that Turkey’s social fabric is undergoing a noxious change. The major effect of this change has been damage to the traditional mainstream understanding of Islam in Turkey.

Denmark charges Turkish informants as spies

A broad ranging investigation by the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) has resulted in trials being opened against three people who informed on Turkish citizens living in Denmark to the Turkish government, Turkish news portal Gazete Duvar reported on Monday.

Malaysia also to blame for Turk’s torture, say rights groups

Human rights NGOs have called on Malaysian authorities to accept responsibility for the alleged torture of a Turkish teacher in his native country after he was deported from Malaysia.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen says planned assassinations of prominent figures in Turkey could be blamed on him

Palestinian woman denied visa to Turkey for treatment, says Kimse Yok Mu official

Faith Communities and Home-Grown Extremism

Int’l Festival of Language and Culture takes stage at European Parliament

Analysis: Power of Turkey’s Fethullah Gulen

Albanian president to Erdoğan: Turkish schools pose no threat

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences and Condemnation for Manhattan Terrorist Attack

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News