KCK suspect Ersanlı says doesn’t believe Hizmet behind coup, terror trials


Date posted: January 6, 2014

İSTANBUL
Professor Büşra Ersanlı, who is among suspects in an investigation into the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) on terrorism charges, has said she doesn’t believe claims raised by some officials linked with government that the faith-based Hizmet Movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is behind major trials.

Speaking to the Hürriyet daily on Monday, Ersanlı has said she doesn’t agree with allegations that the Movement could be behind the Ergenekon, Balyoz and KCK trials.

The allegations surfaced after a major far-reaching corruption investigation into the alleged bribery and rigging linked with public tenders began to proceed by inclusion of high-level members of the government. Some government officials have come up with accusation that the Movement indeed was the main culprit for launching investigations into the claims of plot to topple civilian government by army officers in first years of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) rule.

The Movement has strongly denied such claims, deeming such full-hearted efforts a conscious campaign to divert public attention away from the graft probe which has shaken the roots of the government, leading to resignations of three ministers and several other deputies from the ruling party.

Ersanlı and Ayşe Berktay said they don’t believe claims suggesting that the Movement could be behind the trials.

Historian Ersan was released pending trial in July 13, in 2012, along with 15 other suspects in the KCK case. Several defendants in the case appealed the İstanbul 15th High Criminal Court recently in an attempt to benefit from a law inserted in a newly approved judicial reform package, requesting their release from prison pending trial. They argued that the newly approved reform package allows for them to spend the remainder of the trial outside of prison. The court accepted their request on Friday, ruling in favor of the release of 16 suspects.

Ersanlı, along with publisher Ragıp Zarakolu, was arrested in November 2011 on terrorism charges as part of an investigation into the KCK, an umbrella group that allegedly encompasses the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and affiliated organizations. Zarakolu was released pending trial in April.

Ersanlı, who was a member of the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party’s (BDP) constitutional commission, faces up to 22-and-a-half years in jail on charges of leading a terrorist organization. In a recent interview, Ersanlı denied the charges and said all her activities were within the limits of freedom of expression and freedom of association.

The KCK is accused of attempting to establish an alternative system of governance and terrorizing locals in the country’s predominantly Kurdish areas. Most of the accused face charges of membership in and/or aiding and abetting a terrorist group.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 6, 2014


Related News

Somali students caring for the Soma orphans

The Somali students who were previously brought to Soma, Manisa, for study by Kimse Yok Mu Foundation (KYM) in 2011, recently donated stationery supplies for 105 orphans the mining disaster left behind.

Erdogan set up Maarif Foundation to seize Hizmet-inspired Turkish Schools

Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Hizmet-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.

Gülen lawyer dismisses claims in International Herald Tribute report, says allegations unfounded

20 April 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s lawyer has dismissed claims in a report by the International Herald Tribune and said his client has no hidden agenda. Orhan Erdemli said in a statement on Friday that claims in the article, which accused Gülen supporters of infiltrating into police and judiciary, are unfounded […]

The latest step by AKP-Gov’t witch-hunt against Hizmet Movement

In Turkey, the increasing pressure over the freedom of press, property rights and authoritarianism have reached an alarming level. A recent report on the rule of law and respect for human rights inTurkey declared that Turkish government had been perpetrating systematic human rights violations since December 2013.

A dirty war in the run-up to the elections

With the Gülen movement officially marked in police reports as being a “terrorist organization,” we can say that the ruling party’s war against the civilian populace has truly reached its dirtiest stage. A brief summary: The Gülen movement is undoubtedly one of the Muslim world’s most peaceful and tolerant civil movements ever.

Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him

Independent deputy İhsan Barutçu denied telling the Star daily that the Hizmet movement had plotted against him, after the daily ran a headline on Friday with a quote from the deputy.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu heals wounds in the Philippines

Criticism and risks

I see real patriotism in the Gülen movement

Visually impaired journalist’s letter shows he can barely survive in prison

Asylum for Fethullah Gulen Movement Supporters?

Pakistani rights group calls for immediate release of abducted Turkish principal, family

AKP turns medical university into its headquarters

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News