Response to aspersion on Hizmet

Hüseyin Gülerce
Hüseyin Gülerce


Date posted: December 6, 2013

HÜSEYİN GÜLERCE

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) made an important statement on Thursday. Its press release, issued in connection with the recent tension that threatens to disrupt social consensus, seeks to defuse tension with regards to the rift between the government and the Hizmet movement.

“[T]he ways in which legitimate demands are voiced should not be offensive and should not allow those demands to be perceived as unjust,” it advises, addressing the volunteers who are inspired by the movement, while sporting recommendations for the government, political parties and civil society.

The most striking part of the press release is about recent allegations and slanders. Concerning the claim — I think this is more than a claim; it is slander — that the Hizmet movement will lend its support to the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) and campaign for Mustafa Sarıgül in İstanbul — although the CHP hasn’t announced his nomination — the press release says: “[I]t is impossible for [the Hizmet movement] to encourage its members to lend support to any specific political party or candidate. In particular, some recent approaches that put the spotlight on certain targets or political choices are completely illusory.”

The most unfair and ruthless slander in recent days is that the Hizmet movement partakes in conspiracies devised abroad against the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The GYV responded to this claim as follows: “All conspiracy theories that suggest that by opposing — which are nothing but civilian and democratic in nature — the plan to close down prep schools the Hizmet movement is actually seeking to ‘divorce the ruling Justice and Development Party from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,’ ‘prevent Erdoğan from being elected as president,’ ‘establish a political party and seek a political career,’ ‘conspire with foreign powers against the AK Party’ or purse similar political projects are totally baseless, unfounded, clearly slanderous and defamatory.”

What bothers me the most is that the Taraf newspaper added fuel to the rift between the government and the movement by running a story about the National Security Council’s (MGK) 2004 decision. The press release notes the tutelage regime in force at that time, invalidating conspiracy theories:

“It appears that the decision in question had been signed involuntarily by the civilian government in the anti-democratic circumstances of the time, but this decision does not tally with the government’s subsequent democratic practices.”

In addition, the GYV expressed its concerns about the profiling of citizens, civic groups and public employees. “It is worrisome to witness developments that echo the said MGK decision, such as the plan to ban prep schools, the profiling of public employees or the purging of bureaucrats who are affiliated with certain communities,” the statement said.

Without a doubt, the most significant part of the GYV’s statement was about the videotape conspiracy that infringed on the privacy of individuals and occupied the country’s agenda before the elections. Unfortunately some certain circles have directly or indirectly attempted to put the blame of the videotapes, which have been posted on the Internet, on the Gülen movement. For those who fear Allah, there cannot be a more grave insult or nefarious attack than this. This time, the state’s intelligence unit should be more vigilant in this regard.

During the debates on the tension between the Gülen movement and the government, the people of Turkey have been upset because of erroneous expressions. Hearts have been broken and minds have been clouded. Now, it is time to mend the bridge. Blaming each other for our mistakes will not pave the way for peace and a heart-softening process.

As it is stated in the statement: ” The Hizmet movement nurtures a heartfelt desire for Turkey to be endowed with true democracy, transparency and full-fledged rule of law and shows due respect to the nation’s democratic preferences and to Parliament.” No one will then have a problem with the elected government. And if the government embraces everyone and places a priority on justice and the rule of law, then everything will be fine.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 6, 2013


Related News

Gülen resorts to UN to investigate Turkey’s coup

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gülen calls the United Nations to form an international commission to investigate Turkey’s controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016, and to acquit himself after Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused him of launching the coup d’état.

The irrationality of demanding Turkish schools abroad be shut down

Since last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been constantly “advising” his foreign counterparts to shut down the Hizmet schools in their countries.

Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous

Mr Gulen denies any role in the failed coup in July, and US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently described the delay as a joke on Turkey.

Arınç calls Gülen’s extradition request a ‘political move’

Speaking to journalists following the Cabinet meeting on Monday, Arınç added that he does not know how US would react to this political request. Admitting that there is no legal base for Gülen’s extradition, the deputy prime minister said that without the necessary documents, evidence and a court order, it is not possible to get someone extradited from a country.

Governor’s office closes 3 Gülen-inspired prep schools in Çorum

Despite a ruling from the Constitutional Court and the Council of State annulling a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government-sponsored law that required privately owned exam preparation schools in Turkey to be closed down or converted, the Çorum Governor’s Office has ordered the closure of three prep schools as part of the government-led operation against institutions and businesses owned by the faith-based Gülen movement.

ABA urges Obama to protest Turkey’s suppression of free speech

On September 1, the American Booksellers Association joined American publishers, authors, and librarians in a letter urging President Obama to protest the widespread suppression of free speech in Turkey during his September 4 meeting with Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan in China.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

‘Turkish schools are excellent good will ambassadors for Turkey’

Pro-gov’t journalist suggests killing family members of jailed Gülen followers

Losing rationality in politics and the economy

Gülen says paying price for not supporting Erdoğan’s desire for presidential system

Father jailed over Gülen links, 6-months-old paralyzed baby left in intensive care

Turkey’s Erdogan exploiting failed coup to crush dissent, tighten grip on power

U.N. rights chief questions due process in Turkey purges

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News