Did Erdoğan say ‘shut up’ to Gen. Eruygur?

Emre Uslu
Emre Uslu


Date posted: November 29, 2013

EMRE USLU

Liberal daily Taraf has published yet another document showing that the government, back in 2004, signed an agreement with the generals to fight the Gülen movement. The document outlined that the government agreed to prevent Gülen sympathizers from getting jobs in state institutions.

Some political observers argue that the document shows that in 2004 the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government was under heavy pressure from the military. AKP officials were quick to say that they signed the document but did not follow up on the military’s requests.

Well there are several indicators that cast doubt on the government officials. For instance, in 2006 the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) set up websites to “inform” the public about how “dangerous” the Gülen movement was. In addition, in 2009, Turkish generals again prepared documents and reports to justify action against the Gülen movement.

Moreover, the Turkish National Police Department’s intelligence section also requested reports from its units tracking the Gülen movement back in 2009. The media resumed a disinformation campaign against the Gülen movement soon after the decision made at the National Security Council (MGK) in 2004.

Personally, I tend not to believe what the AKP officials say about the document. Indeed, veteran journalist Alper Görmüş wrote in 2012 that since 2006 he had been hearing a rumor in AKP circles that the AKP government was going to target the Gülen movement.

Furthermore, it is a well-known fact that in 2009 the AKP government formed a pool of officials in the Prime Ministry from which to choose its top bureaucrats. One of the most important criteria in receiving a nomination for a high-level post is whether the bureaucrat has sympathy for the Gülen movement or not. If the bureaucrat in question is merely sympathetic to the movement, no matter how talented he or she is, Erdoğan’s government will not appoint him or her.

Indeed, this was one of the points in the MGK document the government signed in 2004 — to eliminate Gülenist bureaucrats from government posts. This one example is enough to prove that, regardless of whether the government wanted to implement the decision or whether the government took this initiative by itself, the decision to remove Gülenist bureaucrats from their posts was implemented.

It could be politically risky for the government to admit that that they did indeed sign such a document and decided to remove Gülen sympathizers from bureaucratic posts. For this very reason, they may not admit to the reality on the ground.

No matter what, the proof that Erdoğan signed a document to target the Gülen movement has dented his image as a tough leader willing to take on the military establishment. What is funny, however, is that the pro-government media have started trying to restore the prime minister’s dented image with nonsense stories.

One of the stories that they came up with is the following: When the Gendarmerie Commander Gen. Şener Eruygur started criticizing the government in 2004, Erdoğan shouted, “Shut up.” Such stories remind me of the old tales the Soviets fabricated to show that the regime and leader were strong. One needs to answer the following question: If Erdoğan really shouted “shut up” at Eruygur, why did he sign the document that Taraf published?

Source: Today's Zaman , November 29, 2013


Related News

Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan Reject Turkish Calls to Close Gülen Schools

Kazakh authorities said the Gülen schools would remain open. In a statement, the Education Ministry said “These schools (27) will be working as they used to.” The schools were established through a bilateral deal signed by Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev and then-Turkish President Turgut Özal shortly after independence, according to Akipress. Both Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are remaining firm that they will not bend to Ankara’s will on this issue.

ESİDEF: Targets doubled despite intimidation

Federation of the Aegean and Mediterranean Industrialists and Businesspeople (ESİDEF) President Mustafa Çelik said anti-democratic rhetoric and intimidating speeches against the business world in Turkey have motivated them to double their targets.

Are there autonomous Hizmet groups?

İHSAN YILMAZ  18 May, 2012 When we look at the recent discussions and debates surrounding the Hizmet (Gülen) movement especially in the Turkish media, I observe that some writers are inclined to see the movement composed of a few relatively autonomous groups with sometimes clashing visions and practices. I do not think that behind this […]

German Greens MEP backs Gülen school official’s plea against extradition

“To be a teacher is not a crime,” said Rebecca Harms, a German politician who is current head of the Greens-European Free Alliance in the EU parliament. She was speaking at a press conference in Tbilisi after visiting Mustafa Emre Cabuk in prison on Sunday.

Hizmet will continue its mission regardless of attacks

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who, along with the faith-based Hizmet movement, has been subjected to numerous attacks from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has said the movement will continue to perform its mission regardless of circumstances.

Canada’s Green Party leader on human rights violations in Turkey: I am entirely horrified

Canada’s Green Party leader and lawmaker Elizabeth May said during a panel discussion held at the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa on widespread human rights violations in Turkey that “I am entirely horrified by the behaviour of the Turkish government. We need to be more speaking out loud.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Interview with Kimse Yok Mu Foundation’s President Ismail Cingoz

TUSKON-led trade volume reaches $30 billion

Reactions snowball after PM likens Hizmet members to Hashishin

The Gulen Movement Is Not a Cult — It’s One of the Most Encouraging Faces of Islam Today

Education [for Kurds] in mother tongue

Pakistan – Of friends and us

Local priests participate in landmark interfaith trip to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News