Turkish aid organizations rushes aid to Philippines

Survivors stand outside their damaged house at typhoon-hit Tacloban city, Leyte province central Philippines on Monday. (Photo: AP)
Survivors stand outside their damaged house at typhoon-hit Tacloban city, Leyte province central Philippines on Monday. (Photo: AP)


Date posted: November 11, 2013

AYDIN ALBAYRAK, ANKARA

In the strongest typhoon on record that hit the country on Friday, thousands of people are feared dead. According to some officials, the number of casualties from Typhoon Haiyan may even surpass 10,000.

Turkish humanitarian aid organizations have sent rescue teams to the Philippines. “A 10-member rescue team of ours has already reached the Philippines,” Yusuf Yıldırım, who is in charge of foreign aid at Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?), has told Today’s Zaman. The humanitarian aid organization will also distribute 6,500 food packages to the victims.

“Our voluntary representatives in the Philippines will see to it that food packages are prepared in the capital Manila and are transported to the disaster area by army helicopters,” Yıldırım stated. Based on the reports Kimse Yok Mu will get from its team in the disaster area, the humanitarian organization may also launch an aid campaign for the Philippines.

According to Philippine officials, at least 2 million people in tens of provinces have been affected by the disaster and at least 23,000 houses have been ruined or damaged. In a country made up of thousands of islands, Typhoon Haiyan swept through a string of islands from east to west — Samar, Leyte, Cebu and Panay. Around 800,000 people are believed to have fled their homes. In the devastating calamity, ships were thrown inland, vehicles were swept out to sea and bridges and ports were washed away.

Many survivors of the disaster have not only lost their loved ones, but also all they had. In addition to a lack of drinking water, food, medicine and shelter are scarce. Dead bodies left to rot in the fields or at the sides of roads, which is increasing the risk of disease.

[Excerpted from Today’s Zaman]

Source: Today's Zaman , November 11, 2013


Related News

Pak-Turk Inter-School Math Olympiad: Prize distribution ceremony held

The ISMO titled, ‘Pakistan Seeks Al- Khwarizmi,’ was held on January 27 at all the branches of Pak-Turk Schools across the country simultaneously in which some 16,500 students participated, representing around 500 institutions. The students of 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grades participated in the competition to prove their incredible potential.

Turkish schools issue [in Pakistan] still to be resolved

The official demand has now apparently been watered down to transfer ownership/administration of these educational institutions to the official Maarif Foundation tasked by the Turkish government to encourage foreign governments to seize other Turkish educational foundations operating in those countries, possibly targeting enterprises run by individuals close to US-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen.

Astana says Gulen-linked schools to remain

The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan said in a statement on July 30 that the Turkish schools linked to Fetullah Gülen, who allegedly led failed coup attempt in Turkey according to the President Erdogan, will remain on the territory of the Central Asian nation. The statement followed the Friday warning of Turkey’s ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Water well for 10 thousand Pakistani with the money from cattle milk

A philanthropist woman from Kocaeli (a province in northwest Turkey), Siyade Yilmaz, has financed a water well, in memory of her father, at the service of 10 thousand in Daraban town of Tehsil Kulachi in Dera Ismail Khan District in Pakistan. In her statements, Yilmaz said they had been previously able to go to hajj […]

Kimse Yok Mu sends aid materials with 24 trucks for Syrian refugees

Emin Çalhanoğlu, an official from the Kimse Yok Mu told Cihan news agency that aid material that was delivered for the refugees has valued at TL 60 million so far and they will continues their humanitarian aid efforts.

CCTV shows school principal being ‘abducted’ as post-coup crackdown in Turkey spreads to Malaysia

A school principal and a businessman have disappeared in the latest in a string of international arrests allegedly ordered by Turkey in a post-coup crackdown that has seen more than 100,000 people detained. Human rights group warns pair could be tortured if they are extradited back to Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

The impact of corruption on elections

Erdoğan’s requests to shut down Turkish schools abroad perceived as patronizing

History teacher gives birth to her third child in prison

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Turkish schools will not be closed

LDP leader says received ‘indecent proposal’ from pro-gov’t paper

Turkish-Kyrgyz educator’s abduction shows Ankara’s ruthless disregard for law: HRW

Torture – Turkish prisoner says tied to chair, pushed into sea while under custody

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News