Switzerland: Number of Turkish asylum-seekers more than doubles


Date posted: September 16, 2019

The number of Turkish refugees in Switzerland has risen by around 130% since a failed coup against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan three years ago, according to the NZZ am Sonntag

The newspaper, quoting information from the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM), says about 2,800 Turks had applied for asylum in Switzerland since August 2016, compared with about 1,200 applications during the previous three-year-period. 

“The increase in Turkish asylum-seekers is a consequence of domestic developments in Turkey,” said SEM spokesman Lukas Rieder. 

Last July Turkey ranked second on the list of countries of origin of all asylum-seekers in Switzerland. 

The SEM says many Turkish asylum-seekers are very well documented for their asylum procedures and submit numerous documents, which is why Switzerland grants asylum to an above-average number of Turkish nationals. The recognition rate for the current year is 62%.

Purge 

Ankara blames US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, of masterminding the failed putsch on July 15, 2016. He has denied any involvement. 

In the three-year purge since the coup attempt, more than 77,000 people have been jailed pending trial and about 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others have been sacked or suspended from their jobs. 

Turkey’s Western allies and rights groups have criticised the scale of the crackdown, saying President Tayyip Erdogan has used the abortive coup as a pretext to quash dissent.

Source: SWI - swissinfo.ch , September 15, 2018


Related News

Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national

About five months after submitting a request for asylum, Ugur Toksoy, a Turkish national whose  extradition procedures to Turkey were terminated by the State Prosecution in December last year, was granted refugee status in Kosovo.

Turkey’s purges continue a year after failed coup

One year on, Turkey’s crackdown on suspected coup plotters shows no signs of ending – and has now reached human rights workers. Diego Cupolo reports from Ankara.

5-months pregnant woman detained as police fail to locate husband

A woman, identified as B.D. was detained after police failed to locate her husband as part an investigation in to the Gulen movement, media reported Saturday.

What Is Next In Turkey?

The generals were never the script writers of the coups but only players. The script writers of the coup on July 15 in Turkey aimed to simulate a coup as if it was staged by the Gulen movement. It was simply a false flag. While only a few hundred soldiers were involved in the coup, more than ten thousand officers were purged and arrested. While the police officers challenged the coup plotters, twelve thousand police officers were fired two months after the coup.

UK acknowledges being a Gülen sympathizer in Turkey may be grounds for asylum

In a 60-page policy guidance to Home Office decision-makers, the UK Home Office has recognized that being a Fethullah Gülen sympathizer in Turkey may be grounds for asylum in the UK.

Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison

Yavuz Bölek, a former police chief who was dismissed from his job following corruption probes implicating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has colorectal cancer and will soon be paralyzed if he is not given medical attention. His requests for treatment have been ignored.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen Speaks to Süddeutsche Zeitung daily, warns of on-going witch hunt against Hizmet

Jews and Muslims Break Their Fasts Together

Open Letter to the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)

Filipino – Turkish Tolerance School students excel in ICAS 2014 exam, Ten others top in campus journalism

Clash of the Anatolian Tigers

Philippine education minister invites Turks to open more schools in his country

‘Parallel state’ and ‘theft of national will’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News