Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for the El Paso and Dayton Attacks


Date posted: August 7, 2019

I learned with grief about the attacks in El Paso, Texas on Saturday and Dayton, Ohio on Sunday morning which took the lives of 31 people and wounded dozens of others. I extend my deepest condolences to those who lost their loved ones during these tragic incidents and to all Americans. 

These attacks which are assaults on the sanctity of human life shatter our hearts but should strengthen our eagerness in serving the goal of living together peacefully and should also lead us to a societal self-examination. 

The fact that both attackers in these two incidents were in their twenties is both upsetting and cautionary. We should do a serious examination of why these young men, who should have been hopeful about their lives, would both ruin their own lives and take away other people’s lives in a state of hatred and insanity. 

It was reported in media that the El Paso shooter carried out the attack due to his racist views. Unfortunately, similar hate-driven attacks that happened recently shows that there is a need for a greater effort to remedy the illnesses of racism, hatred and resorting to violence. 

A crucial step in healing the sick mindset that leads individuals to kill people out of hatred or other reasons is for every individual to acknowledge the dignity of every human being, to respect them as a work of art that was created by God and to inculcate this perspective in the minds of our youth. 

May God, the Most Compassionate, protect the United States and the rest of the world from acts of violence and increase the number of islands of peace in which people embrace each other with respect all around the world.

— Fethullah Gülen

Source: Alliance for Shared Values , August 5, 2019


Related News

Fethullah Gülen expresses thanks for condolences extended after brother’s death

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has thanked those who expressed their condolences following the death of his brother, Hasbi Nidai Gülen, last week. Gülen’s brother died on Friday morning at a hospital in Ankara, where he was receiving treatment for lung cancer. He was 66. Hundreds bade him farewell at funeral ceremonies held in Ankara […]

What befell Niyazi-i Misri in the past is happening to Fethullah Gülen now

BÜLENT KENEŞ I immediately accepted an invitation from my dear teacher Ziya Kesiriklioğlu, who had taught my religious course at high school and who I hadn’t seen for more than 25 years, to an event in Lemnos to commemorate a major Islamic scholar from my hometown of Malatya who had lived 300 years ago and […]

The Process Behind Turkey’s Proposed Extradition of Fethullah Gülen

By publicly campaigning for Gülen’s immediate extradition—before a formal request had been submitted—Turkish officials reinforced the idea that the United States is somehow protecting Gülen or resisting the extradition process. That is not true. There will be critics of any eventual decision, just as there are critics of the delay in reaching a decision. Whatever the result, both governments should communicate the decision with consideration for the long-term relationship and should operate on the assumption that the other is acting in good faith.

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned an attack on a French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a series of shootings in Paris suburbs last week, extending condolences to families of the victims.

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

In Pennsylvania, Gülen and his aides scrambled to denounce the coup attempt as it unfolded. “As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt,” Gülen said in a statement, referring to Turkey’s spotty democratic history. The U.S. also was quick to condemn the coup attempt, but not quick enough for many in the Turkish government and media.

Questions on a Coup – Did Erdogan engineer it himself?

Now that Erdogan has cleared away all of his rivals from within, he has aggressively demanded that the U.S. extradite his only remaining serious rival – Fethullah Gulen. It would be unconscionable and immoral for the U.S. to comply with the wishes of a power hungry and merciless dictator. When the smoke has finally cleared we may discover that Erdogan himself has engineered the coup as an excuse for a final crackdown on the opposition and to solidify his autocratic rule.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Dismissed top editor of Zaman: We made a mistake by not objecting to the imprisonment of journalists

Policeman, teacher wife and premature baby under arrest over Gülen links

HRW report: No evidence to accuse Gülen movement of terrorism

1,500 pounds of frozen meat for needy Staten Island families

Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement

SCF Reveals Mass Torture And Abuse In An Unofficial Detention Facility In Turkey’s Capital

Is the Hizmet movement resisting normalization?

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News