Families Of Afghan-Turk School Students Hold Protest In Kabul [against Turkish Gov’t]


Date posted: April 9, 2018

Anisa Shaheed

Families of Afghan-Turk Schools students on Sunday held a protest meeting in Kabul and called on the Afghan government to rescind its decision to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools to the Turkish government.

The protest was held the same day as the Turkish prime minister was in Kabul for talks with President Ashraf Ghani and CEO Abdullah Abdullah.

During the protest, the families said Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim was in Kabul to discuss the issue of dissolving the institution that manages these schools.

The families asked government not to hand over the management of these schools to the Turkish government.


Families of students of Afghan-Turk Schools have called on government not to allow the Turkish government to take over the schools. 


“Whatever the Turkish government wants is of no concern to us. But the Afghan government should not accept political pressure,” Fazel Ahmad Manavi, a member of the Afghan-Turk parents committee said.

Families of Afghan-Turk Schools students however said if government hands over the two teachers, who are currently under house arrest, to the Turkish government, the act will become a historical shame.

“In Afghanistan government’s history, no citizens of any country have been handed to its enemy. If the Afghan government hands the two Turkish teachers to the Turkish government, it will commit a historical shame,” Sediqullah Tawhidi, a member of the Afghan-Turk parents committee said.

Yildirim however said on Sunday Turkey appreciated the Afghan government for handing over the management of the schools to his government and said new teachers have come to Afghanistan and will soon start teaching at the schools.

“We appreciate Afghanistan government for handing the responsibility of the schools to the (Moaref Waqf Institution – Maarif Foundation) which is currently is under our control,” Yildirim said.

At the end of February, the Afghan government officially handed over the management of the Afghan-Turk Schools to Turkey’s education ministry. Government then announced that around 120 new Turkish teachers have arrived in Afghanistan to replace the previous teachers.

Officials from the Afghan-Turk Schools however said the original teachers are still teaching at the schools.

“Schools are still under our control. So far we do not know anything about the new teachers, but we continue our work,” Ahmad Fawad Haidari, deputy head of the Afghan-Turk Schools said.

Afghan-Turk Schools were established 23 years ago in Afghanistan and currently around 8,000 students attend 12 schools around the country.

 

Source: Tolo News , April 8, 2018


Related News

‘We are a Kurdistan company,’ says Kurdish Gulen school official

Schools and educational centres in the Kurdistan Region associated with the Gulen movement have insisted they are a private company operating under the Kurdish Ministry of Education and have no ties to Turkey. “In short, we are a Kurdistan company,” an official at the schools told Rudaw, speaking anonymously. “Our institutions operate under the directives and regulations of the Kurdistan Ministry of Education.”

Hundreds gather in front of Silivri Prison to protest media crackdown

Hundreds of people gathered in front of Silivri Prison on Saturday to protest the detention of Samanyolu Broadcasting Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who is being held in custody in the prison as part of a government-orchestrated police operation targeting journalists, scriptwriters and police officers.

Parents seeking urgent Release of School Principle Fatih Keskin

“As parents, as we are concerned about the way the principal of this school is treated, and we expect information on the further development of the situation regarding the treatment of the principal,” parents stated, adding that they request to be informed on the reasons for the arrest as soon as possible.

Turkish gov’t issues detention warrants for 121 women on Int’l Women’s Day

The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants on International Women’s Day for 121 women over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Turkish schools substantiate our close mutual cooperation

CELİL SAĞIR, İSTANBUL I value the Turkish contribution in education and believe that this will not only benefit Pakistan but also all of humanity, and thus help in realizing our vision of “education for all.” Q: With respect to the cultural side of the relations, we know there are Turkish schools in Pakistan. Do you […]

Pro-gov’t troll says sympathizers of Gülen movement should be ‘wiped out’

A pro-government Twitter troll who frequently uses offensive language to insult prominent political and social figures who do not embrace the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) ideals and practices has this time called on supporters of the ruling party to kill members of the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Opposition CHP to take Gül-approved dershane law to Constitutional Court

Factory settings of Turkey as a nation-state

Erdogan targets Hizmet inspired schools on Africa visit

CSOs continue to condemn hate speech against Hizmet movement

Islamic scholar Gülen calls on praying for Palestinians, Syrians

Nigerien Minister of Education at Kimse Yok Mu

Turkey confiscates $billions worth more than 200 companies in operations targeting Gülen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News