Liberian Government: Turkish school to remain open

4th Graduates of Light International School System.
4th Graduates of Light International School System.


Date posted: August 4, 2017

The Liberian Government says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country have until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

In a release issued Wednesday July 19, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said has received expressions of concern by parents about the public comments made by the Foreign Minister of the Republic of Turkey, Mr. Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu during a one-day visit here regarding the Turkish Light International School System which operates a pre-primary, primary, junior and senior high school in Liberia.

The ministry quotes Mr. Çavuşoğlu as asserting that the school does not represent the interests and aspirations of the Government and people of Turkey and had therefore, appealed to the Government of Liberia to remove the current management of the school.

However, Foreign Ministry in its release said, it would like to inform the public that the Government of Liberia is aware of the failed coup in Turkey a year ago, July 15, 2016, which is being linked to the founder of these schools in Liberia and many other countries across the globe by the Turkish Government.

“As was stated by Foreign Minister Madam Marjon Kamara during the media stakeout with her Turkish counterpart, the matter was brought to the attention of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and the Government has made the commitment to investigate the matter,” the release stated.

Meanwhile, the Government said it has no evidence or facts on the matter and as such, it has committed to launch an investigation to determine the veracity of the allegations levied against the school and its proprietors. The Government of Liberia will not support any entity whose objective could bring harm to Liberia and/or friendly countries.

Source: The New Dwan , July 20, 2017


Related News

Policeman, teacher wife and premature baby under arrest over Gülen links

Fatma Cetin, an Erzurum teacher who was earlier dismissed from public school as part of the post-coup crackdown against the Gülen movement, has been under arrest along with her premature baby, Sozcu columnist Emin Colasan revealed.

72-year-old Turkish man detained over coup charges

Gülen movement has been accused of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15 despite its successive statements that denied any involvement. Failing to back up its accusations with credible evidence, the government has detained more than 40,000 people and arrested 24,000 over their alleged links to the coup attempt since July 15.

Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison

Yavuz Bölek, a former police chief who was dismissed from his job following corruption probes implicating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has colorectal cancer and will soon be paralyzed if he is not given medical attention. His requests for treatment have been ignored.

Pakistan plans to expel Turkish teachers linked to opposition at home

Mohammed Aqeel, 24, who attended the Peshawar school and now teaches there, called the visa cancellations “a shameful event” that had compromised Pakistan’s independence and damaged its educational standards. “There is no foreign ideology here,” he said. “I love this school. It grooms us to be good human beings as well as students.”

President of Zambia Mr. Rupiah Banda thanks Turkish investors in education

President Banda said he had been to Turkey twice and was impressed with the country’s standards of education and that is why he had requested Turkish partners to come to Zambia and work with the Government in the pursuit of quality education. Mr. Rupiah Banda has advised the Ministry of Education to pay serious attention […]

BBC interviews families of abducted Gülen followers

The families of abducted Gülen followers, whose abductions have been confirmed by eyewitnesses, have spoken to BBC Turkish service. Eleven people have been reported missing in Ankara since January.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Businessmen, politicians, religious leaders come together at GYV iftar

Kazakh-Turkish School students win medals in mathematics competition in Brazil

Kimse Yok Mu affiliate Time to Help volunteers back in Belgium from Africa

US law professor has no doubt Gulen trial in Turkey was political

Turkish-Americans in Tennessee worry about their homeland

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Kimse Yok Mu and Time to Help partnership for Kobani

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News