German minister says state not investigating Gulenists

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: November 3, 2016

 The German authorities are not investigating Gulenists, the country’s justice minister said Tuesday, much to the frustration of Turkey which has asked that action be taken against the shadowy group.

Heiko Maas claimed the “Gulen movement” — the group which is believed to have organized Turkey’s foiled coup attempt on July 15 — does not have an organized structure in Germany.

“As far as I know, we do not have any investigations at the moment on how the Gulen movement is organized. And there is no sufficient information indicating that they have an organizational presence here,” Mass said at an event organized by the Foreign Correspondents’ Association in Berlin.

The Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, is believed to have organized July’s attempted military takeover in Turkey, which left over 241 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

The followers of Gulen, who call themselves the “Hizmet movement”, are not organized under a centralized structure in Germany but carry out significant activities through a large shadowy network consisting of dozens of private schools, business associations and media organizations.

A report by the German domestic intelligence agency in 2014 said followers of the movement had founded more than 500 organizations across the country, including at least 24 schools and many cultural foundations.

Soon after the foiled coup attempt in July, Ankara urged Berlin to curb the group’s activities in Germany, a country which has a three-million-strong Turkish community.

Several important Gulenist figures from Turkey, including prosecutors and journalists, are believed to have fled there.

Last month, Ankara officially asked the German authorities to locate, arrest and hand over two high-profile prosecutors — Zekeriya Oz and Celal Kara — who are accused of plotting to overthrow the Turkish government.

They played a key role in a controversial anti-corruption probe in late 2013 which targeted the upper reaches of the Turkish government.

Death penalty

However, Justice Minister Maas said on Tuesday Berlin would not extradite any suspects if they faced “politically motivated” charges in Turkey.

He also argued that reintroducing the death penalty in Turkey would make it more difficult to positively respond to Ankara’s extradition demands in future.

Several suspects arrested after the July 15 coup attempt reportedly testified that hundreds of high-ranking FETO members have recently fled to Germany.

Despite widespread suspicions, the German authorities have been reluctant so far to curb the activities of Gulenists.

German officials said they would only act upon concrete evidence which showed that these institutions were carrying out activities which violated the constitution and laws of Germany.

Gulenists have been careful so far not to attract criticism in Germany and the group’s followers have particularly focused on interfaith dialogue programs, issuing moderate messages to win the trust of the media, influential churches and political institutions.

The Turkish government suspects Gulenists recently came closer to fully controlling the Turkish state by infiltrating key institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary, in a long-running campaign dating back to the 1980s.

Several politicians said the deadly July 15 coup attempt was hastily organized by followers of Gulen in the military after they received hints that an ongoing legal inquiry into Gulenists in the army would lead to massive detentions on July 16-17.

Source: World Bulletin , November 2, 2016


Related News

GYV President Yeşil decodes the Gülen movement

MUSTAFA EDİB YILMAZ Mustafa Yeşil, the chairman of the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s (GYV) executive board, a Turkish NGO undertaking projects that emphasize mutual understanding and tolerance to establish global peace, described the movement named after the GYV’s honorary president, Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, as being faith based, pacifist, pluralist, colorful and pro-democratic. Gülen […]

‘Removal of Gülen’s books from NT shelves offends the public’

Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay has condemned a recent decision made by the new trustees of Kaynak Holding to have all copies of books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen removed from the shelves of NT bookstores across the country, saying that the “indecent” act of censorship offends the public.

Woman detained along with 40-day-old baby while visiting jailed husband

Zehra Elbir, a former court clerk who was earlier dismissed from her job in the government’s post-coup purge of state institutions, was detained only 40 days after she gave birth to her second child during a visit to her husband in prison.

Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

The row between followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement of and the Turkish government took another dimension after a daily revealed Nov. 28 that a decision from the National Security Council (MGK) recommending an action plan against the Gülen movement be signed by the government in 2004.

History teacher gives birth to her third child in prison

Under arrest as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement since Nov 3, 2016, history teacher Özlem Meci gave birth to her third child in prison. Özlem delivered her third child, named Murat, on Feb 15, 2017 but her requests for trial without arrest have remained inconclusive so far.

Volunteer teachers saddened by efforts to close Turkish schools

Volunteers teachers, most of whom left behind a better life in Turkey with the hope of promoting universal values of peace, dialogue and peaceful coexistence with others through education at Turkish schools abroad, have voiced great disappointment over efforts by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to defame and eventually see these schools close.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

What do people say about corruption, gov’t and Hizmet?

Fethullah Gulen: ISIL Actions, Disgrace to Faith

ESİDEF: Targets doubled despite intimidation

Turkey investigating 4,167 Gülen followers in 110 countries

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

German Greens MEP backs Gülen school official’s plea against extradition

Gülen: The Ambiguous Politics of Market Islam in Turkey and the World

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News