Nigerian federal gov’t on arrested students: Turkey on a vendetta mission


Date posted: October 4, 2016

Folashade Adebayo

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Sola Enikanolaye, has said that the Nigerian students who were arrested in Turkey for an alleged role in the July coup attempt in Turkey may have been paying for the refusal of the Nigerian government to shut down some Turkish schools and institutions in Nigeria.

This was just as the Charge D’Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Turkey, Ibrahim Isah, said that two Nigerian students had been in detention for more than two months at the Silivri Prisons in Istanbul, Turkey, for allegedly being members of the Fethulla Terrorist Organisation, a group said to be responsible for the coup attempt in Turkey.

Some 50 Nigerians studying in Turkey were reportedly arrested on Friday for an alleged link to a terrorist organisation in the country. Many of the Nigerians were said to be students of Fatih University, one of thousands of schools shut down by the Turkish government after the July failed coup attempt.

But in a submission made to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and obtained by our correspondent on Monday, Enikanolaye said the plight of the Nigerian students might not be unconnected with the refusal of the Federal Government to close down some schools in Nigeria, “as arrogantly demanded by the Turkish Government.”

He wrote, “Surely, accusing the students of links to a terrorist organisation is serious, even though we know the state of paranoid that has beset the leadership of Turkey following the failed coup attempt.

“Our students seem to have been caught in the web of internal politics of Turkey and the clampdown on FETO that was accused of the coup.

“This has severely fractured the country, putting it on collision course with the civilised members of the international community.

“The action against our students must have been a reaction to our refusal to close Turkish schools and institutions in Nigeria, as arrogantly demanded by the Turkish Government.’’

Also in a report sent to Onyeama, Isah said two Nigerian students — Hassan Danjuma Adamu, and Muhammad Alhaji Abdullahi — who are on the scholarship of the Yobe State government, had completed their programmes and were waiting for their certificates before their arrest.

According to Isah, the Nigerians’ offence was that they were living in a hostel facilitated by the International Students Association, an organisation believed by the Turkish government to have links with FETO.

‘’According to Mohammad, they were preparing to vacate the hostel on that fateful day, having heard that the so-called International Students’ Association was being linked to FETO and that the hostel was under investigation.

“Unfortunately for them, the hostel was raided before they could move out. They believed that the police were given prior information of the presence of foreign students in the hostel. After, the raid, nothing implicating was found on them except three religious books that the police believe was incriminating.

“Both denied the ownership of the books, which seemed to put to bed any doubts in the minds of the police that they were members of FETO. Thus, they were immediately arrested and taken to the police station for interrogation and subsequently transferred to Silivri Prisons.”

Source: Punch , October 3, 2016


Related News

Liberia: Turkish School to Remain Open

The Government of Liberian says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

Gov’t attack on Bank Asya taints Turkey’s image

Attempts by the Turkish government to sink Bank Asya have tainted Turkey’s image, according to French-based Institute for Research on the International Economy expert Deniz Ünal, speaking to the Cihan news agency.

Ethiopian president hails contribution of Turkish schools to education

Ethiopian President Mulatu Teshome said Turkish schools in Ethiopia are considered to be a major contributing factor to the education sector in the country. “There are Turkish schools [along] with the growing number of international and Ethiopian students in the country. As far as providing quality education, it is helping in the development of education, and we don’t have any problems with the schools,” he added.

Nigerians to showcase culture at Abuja festival

Abuja will on May 21 host the Hizmet Movement and commence preparations for the 14th International Festival of Language and Culture aimed at promoting the rich cultural heritage of the Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Ibo, Efik and other Nigerian tribes.

This is beyond a witch-hunt – Turkey now blames Gülen movement for 9/11 attacks

In yet another example of scapegoating the Gülen movement for anything bad in Turkey or in anywhere else in the world, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s chief advisor Yiğit Bulut hinted at connections between FETÖ and the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the US.

[Event of the Week] Gülen breaks his silence, responds to allegations

Having stayed largely silent in the face of relentless attacks amounting to hate speech by beleaguered Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who was incriminated in a massive corruption scandal, Fethullah Gülen spoke to Today’s Zaman and provided his account of how he sees the recent events in Turkey in his first interview with the Turkish media since Dec. 17.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

5,166 Turkish citizens sought asylum in Germany during January-November

Hizmet Movement discussed at Mexico’s UNAM

Row between Turkish government and Gulen Movement takes new twist

Foreign Minister Babacan visits Turkish school in Dakar

Already feeling unsafe in Turkey

Turkish Cultural Center co-hosts Iftar at Westchester Reform Temple

Northern Iraqis cheer as Turkish schools donate meat

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News