US Cannot ‘Suspend’ Constitution for Gulen Extradition – Ex-Prosecutor


Date posted: August 26, 2016

The US government cannot violate the country’s Constitution by detaining and extraditing Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen without probable cause simply to appease Turkey, former US Assistant States Attorney Nick Akerman told Sputnik.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Earlier this week, Turkish officials admitted Ankara had yet to provide the United States with evidence linking Gulen to the July 15 military coup. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday that refusal to extradite Gulen would not help US-Turkish relations.

“You can’t suspend the constitution,” Akerman said on Friday. “The US government’s domestic legal constitutional requirements do take priority over fear of displeasing Turkey.”

The US Department of Justice, Akerman added, must provide clear documentation that shows there is good reason to believe Gulen is guilty of crime before shipping him overseas at Ankara’s behest. The former Watergate prosecutor also noted that it would be atypical to arrest Gulen while the extradition case was under review.

“It would be pretty unusual to detain somebody while it [Justice Department] examines and investigates, unless there is an indictment that has been issued and that there is probable cause that the person committed an extraditable crime,” Akerman explained.

On Tuesday, the US Department of State confirmed that Turkey had formally submitted a request to extradite Gulen that was based on grounds unrelated to the July 15 military coup attempt. Turkish authorities said that an attempted coup was taking place in the country on July 15, which was suppressed the next day. Ankara believes that Gulen and his supporters were seeking to overthrow the current government. Gulen, who has been living in the US state of Pennsylvania since 1999, has denied the allegations and condemned the attempted coup.

Source: Spitnik , August 27, 2016


Related News

Fethullah Gulen’s stance on democracy 1994-2016

Mr. Gulen has reiterated his clear stance on democracy, in the wake of the coup attempt in Turkey. Here is what he had said back in June 1994: “I believe, from now on, both in Turkey and in the rest of the world, there will we no going back from democracy.”

A bridge from the US to the Turkic world

Arzu Kaya Uranli I was at the third convention of the Turkic American Association (TAA) and the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists’ (TUSKON) mutual event: the annual Turkic American Convention (TAC) in Washington, D.C., last week. The event started with a cruise on the Potomac River on Tuesday evening then continued all day long […]

Egypt Today’s interview with Fethullah Gülen, home sickness and fabricated coup

It seems that there is no one left to say “enough” to Erdogan, most of the people who tried to stop him before are now in jail, and if the opposition can’t find a way to defend the civilian and constitutional rights then it’s completely useless. Some of them used to ignore the regime’s injustice just because they weren’t targeted by its actions, but they didn’t know that it will get to them one day as well.

Gülen’s lawyer: New arrest warrant for Gülen is unlawful

The lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, in reaction to Turkish media reports on Tuesday of another arrest warrant being issued for his client, said in a statement that according to the law on criminal procedure, it is unlawful for a court to issue an arrest warrant unless the accused has been appropriately called to appear before the court.

Al-Jazeera: Turkish probe marks AKP-Gulen power struggle

Fethullah Gulen, 72, has been living in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999, reportedly, for health reasons
His movement is famous for its success in the area of education with tens of schools spread across the globe.

Sen. Schumer & 70+ Senate Colleagues Call on State Dept. to Address ongoing Intimidation of Media and Censorship of the Press in Turkey under President Erdogan’s Administration

Recently, Two Journalists Who Were Vocal Critics of President Erdogan’s Administration and Were Arrested and Detained—Both Individuals Lead Major News Organizations; Prior To That Incident, Many Journalists Lost Their Jobs for Writing Material That Was Critical of President Erdogan and His Administration

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

NGO: plot to take over Turkish schools will fail in Africa

Woman says she miscarried baby due to stress under police custody

Kimse Yok Mu extends help to thousands in Palestine

AK Party provincial board member resigns after insults

Toward an Islamic enlightenment

Religious leaders in Philippines defend Turkish NGOs being linked to terrorism

Military coup documents contain plans to prevent works of Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News