Turkish expats in Singapore concerned over state of emergency back home

Ramadan 2016 Iftar Dinner with Community at Turkish Cultural Center, Singapore. Photo Credit: TCC Singapore Facebook page
Ramadan 2016 Iftar Dinner with Community at Turkish Cultural Center, Singapore. Photo Credit: TCC Singapore Facebook page


Date posted: July 30, 2016

NG JUN SEN

Some members of the Turkish community here are worried about reprisal after the July 15 failed military coup in Turkey.

These people are followers of the Gulen movement, named after Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen of Turkey.

Following the government crackdown, president Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed the coup on followers of the cleric, who has since denied any involvement.

Mr Ahmet, a Turk expatriate here who runs a restaurant, says: “What if my business fails? What if I cannot renew my (employment) pass? I will have to go home.”

He says he is also worried for his extended family back in Turkey.

Mr Ahmet says in a phone interview that he posted some pro-Gulen articles that might be misconstrued as showing support for Mr Gulen.

He says: “I should not have done that. Actually, I don’t care about Mr Gulen or Mr Erdogan. I just want to live in peace.”

The crackdown in Turkey ended more than 30,000 careers – lawyers, educators, journalists, civil servants – and so far, more than 24,000 people have been detained or arrested.

Critics say the evidence that they are linked to the Gulen movement is scant at best in some cases.

On Thursday, one stock analyst lost his licence on the basis of a research report that the government claimed had insulted the presidency, reported the Financial Times.

But for Turks overseas, including those in Singapore, this uncertainty of being arrested if they return home is growing too.

Members of the community tell The New Paper on Sunday that there are about 1,000 Turks in Singapore today.

MOVED HERE

Mr Ahmet had moved here in 2009 to start up a Turkish food and beverage outlet here.

He declines to use his real name and spoke on the condition that there will be no pictures of him or his restaurant.

Fear is palpable in his voice as he explains why he needs to remain anonymous.

“I am sorry I cannot be named, I have family in Turkey, and I am afraid for them if I speak to the media,” he says.

He is not the only Turkish national here who fears reprisal from their government. Those linked with the cleric and his movement are especially worried.

What is the Gulen movement?

In his 2008 journal article, Towards A Middle Way Islam In Southeast Asia: Contributions Of The Gulen Movement, Dr Mohamed Nawab Mohamed Osman wrote that the Gulen movement first found a foothold here in 1997.

The S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies assistant professor wrote that the movement first took shape in the form of the Turkish Cultural Centre (TCC) in Singapore, which exists today in Hillcrest Road in Bukit Timah.

TCC was originally named the Turkey-Central Asia Cultural Centre, but Dr Nawab tells TNPS that he does not believe Singapore is the centre for the Gulen movement in the region.

While he called it a “movement” then, he now admits that it was a mistake as the group was not an organised entity that sought to influence local religious practices.

Dr Nawab says: “What is more accurate is to describe it as a community of people who, perhaps, subscribe to the ideas of Fethullah Gulen.

“They put in a lot of effort to integrate within Singapore society. Many of them are married to Singaporeans and are naturalised citizens. I am talking about Turks who would take you to durian parties.”

He observed that Gulen followers in Singapore follow an “overtly apolitical position”, believing that politics should be independent of religion.

Because anyone who subscribes to this idea can be considered a Gulen follower, it becomes “problematic” to label anyone a Gulenist, as Mr Erdogan has done, explains Dr Nawab.

“I have the highest respect for Lee Kuan Yew’s values, but does that make me a Kuan Yew-ist? This term Gulenist is coined by critics of the movement,” he says.

“This issue in Turkey today is political, not a religious one.”

But for Mr Ahmet, he has little hope that things will get better any time soon.

He says: “I don’t know how long this will last. We all need to lie low.”

About Fethullah Gulen

Gulen08

Once apolitical ally of Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen is now living in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, US.

Mr Gulen, a Turkish reformer, began his career in 1953 as a religious teacher at a government school and later at mosques in Edirne and Izmir.

His teachings espouses how Islam can exist in different forms and can be open to interpretation. Mr Gulen also advocates for acceptance and dialogue with the non-Muslim community.

Around the world, his followers have created hundreds of modern, highly regarded schools known as “hizmet” schools that are inspired by Mr Gulen’s teachings.

Hizmet literally means “service to humanity” in Turkish.

These schools first emerged in Turkey and in neighbouring Central Asian countries, but are now established in South and South-east Asia, Africa, Europe and Australia.

Mr Gulen and Mr Erdogan fell out with each other in 2013 after a criminal investigation into a corruption scandal involving key figures in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).

In May this year, Mr Erdogan designated the religious movement of Mr Gulen as a terrorist organisation called the Gulenist Terror Organisation (Feto) for creating a parallel state within the country.

On July 15, a coup attempt involving a portion of Turkey’s military was thwarted and Mr Erdogan has blamed it on Mr Gulen and Feto.

At least 246 people, excluding the plotters, were killed.

Since then, the Turkish authorities have dismissed, suspended or placed under investigation tens of thousands of people in state institutions including government ministries, the armed forces and the police over suspected links to Mr Gulen and his movement.

Source: The New Paper , July 31, 2016


Related News

GYV praised for response to accusations about Hizmet movement

FATMA DİŞLİ ZIBAK, ALİ ASLAN KILIÇ, İSTANBUL/ANKARA An 11-article statement released by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Tuesday in response to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement has received appreciation and applause from many who said the statement is a good response to those who wish […]

Water well for 10 thousand Pakistani with the money from cattle milk

A philanthropist woman from Kocaeli (a province in northwest Turkey), Siyade Yilmaz, has financed a water well, in memory of her father, at the service of 10 thousand in Daraban town of Tehsil Kulachi in Dera Ismail Khan District in Pakistan. In her statements, Yilmaz said they had been previously able to go to hajj […]

Dutch government calls on Turkish community to report threats by supporters of Turkish President Erdogan

The government is calling on Turkish-Dutch citizens to report if they are threatened by supporters of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs wrote in a letter to parliament on Thursday, NU.nl reports.

Nigerian govt demands immediate resolution from Turkey

The Federal Government of Nigeria is demanding an explanation and immediate resolution following the deportation of almost 50 Nigerian students at the Ataturk Airport in Turkey. Just after the coup, the Turkish Government had requested that 17 Turkish schools be closed down for their ties to the Gulen Movement and the Nigerian Government didn’t accept it.

Kimse Yok Mu offers a hand of compassion to Kyrgyz orphans

Kimse Yok Mu foundation will build an orphanage in the capital Bishkek. A school campus of about 1.8 hectares has been allocated for the orphanage. KYM will build a swimming pool and gym in addition to covering renovation and furnishing expenses. The complex will be launched in September.

Exiled Turkish Leader Gulen Slams Erdogan for Coup Attempt in Report

A coup attempt in Turkey last July that killed more than 300 people was an “outrageous, heinous scenario constructed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his accomplices,” Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen said this week.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong

Erdoğan draws ire from all segments of society over bid to close Turkish schools

Call for respecting diversity to promote peace and harmony

Gülen’s lawyer files criminal complaint against several Twitter accounts

Sen. Schumer & 70+ Senate Colleagues Call on State Dept. to Address ongoing Intimidation of Media and Censorship of the Press in Turkey under President Erdogan’s Administration

Call for Papers – International Gandhi Jayanti Conference 2015

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I don’t have any regrets’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News