In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

State Secretary Pramono Anung
State Secretary Pramono Anung


Date posted: July 30, 2016

Tama Salim

Indonesia has coyly asked Turkey to step back following a request to shut down a number of schools in Indonesia, which are affiliated with Fethullah Gülen, the alleged mastermind behind the failed coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

In response to recent pressure by Turkey to support its witchhunt against coup conspirators, Jakarta asked Ankara to respect the prevailing laws in Indonesia, reiterating the importance of upholding sovereignty.

State Secretary Pramono Anung acknowledged Ankara’s statement on the affiliation of schools in Indonesia with the coup masterminds, but also said there was never any formal request from Turkey to shut down the school.

Pramono indicated the government’s concern about Turkey interfering in domestic affairs.

“Just as we don’t want other countries meddling in our domestic affairs, then [we expect others to understand that] any such issues would solely be the responsibility of Indonesia,” Pramono said on Friday.

“This includes anyone who has, in accordance with Indonesian laws, received consent from the government [to operate], and in which case, would only be subject to Indonesian laws.”

The Foreign Ministry strengthened this assertion, saying it was aware of the recent allegations leveled by the Turkish Embassy in Jakarta, but insisted Indonesia would not meddle in other countries’ affairs.

“Indonesia has never intervened in other countries’ domestic issues,” ministry spokesperson Arrmanatha Nasir said. “The schools in Indonesia are governed by the laws and regulations in Indonesia.”

Even so, Pejambon will continue to coordinate with the Culture and Education Ministry to verify the schools named in the list published by the Embassy, he assured.

He added Jakarta would also review what steps might be taken to address the issue.

There are nine schools which Turkey alleged as affiliated to Gülen. The schools are Pribadi Bilingual boarding school in Depok, Pribadi bilingual boarding school in Bandung, Kharisma Bangsa bilingual boarding school in South Tangerang, Semesta bilingual boarding school in Semarang, Kesatuan Bangsa bilingual boarding school in Jogjakarta, Sragen bilingual boarding school in Sragen, Fatih Boy’s School in Aceh, Fatih Girl’s School in Aceh and Banua bilingual boarding school in South Kalimantan.

In light of the recent coup attempt in Ankara, which was allegedly set in motion by a faction within the Turkish Armed Forces, the Turkish Embassy said it hopes the Indonesian government would support Ankara’s fight against a “terrorist organization” led by Gülen.

“As the embassy, we have for long been expressing our concerns on the activities of the FETÖ terrorist organization here in Indonesia to top Indonesian officials,” the embassy said in a statement released on Thursday, referring to the Gülen movement.

Source: The Jakarta Post , July 30, 2016


Related News

Gülen’s Dialogue on Education: A Caravanserai of Ideas

Professor Tom Gage portrays eight modern educators and the development of their theories viewed from personal, cultural, and historical perspectives. He links their ideas to those of Fethullah Gülen, a highly influential educator of today who draws on an entirely different tradition.

Fethullah Gulen — His Vision, Our Response

A Muslim religious leader, Fehullah Gulen, is daily in the news, as Turkish president Erdogan accuses him of plotting the recent coup, calling him a terrorist. We are so used to Muslim clerics being or being considered terrorists that we give the matter little thought.

The irrationality of demanding Turkish schools abroad be shut down

Since last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been constantly “advising” his foreign counterparts to shut down the Hizmet schools in their countries.

Awards from Romanian Prime Minister to Turkish School Students

36 students from the International Computer High School of Bucharest (ICHB) won 46 medals in total. When the name of ICHB announced, the students of Turkish school did not fit on the stage.

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

By blaming Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen movement for the coup attempt, Mr. Erdogan’s authoritarian tendencies have only increased as witnessed by the tens of thousands arrested and detained, and the radical curtailing of free speech. It now appears that in Mr. Erdogan’s hands Turkey’s future and that of the Middle East will be less democratic, less stable and more tumultuous than ever.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Deputy slams AK Party with creating crisis as he resigns from party

Is the Hizmet movement statist or populist?

Hizmet movement in the spotlight at MESA 2012

Teacher arrested after repairman found Gülen’s audio CD in computer

Nigeria: Last Man Standing

German view of Hizmet Movement (1)

The Role of The Gulen Movement in the Task of Eco-Justice

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News