Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony


Date posted: August 10, 2015

BAYRAM KAYA/ İZZETTİN ÇİÇEK / ANKARA

New testimony in a court case incriminating the faith-based Gülen movement indicates that police and prosecutors had pressured suspects to make false statements against the movement, revealing that the case was actually a plot developed by political authorities to taint the movement.

A government-driven indictment prepared by Ankara Public Prosecutor Serdar Coşkun that described Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views have inspired the Gülen movement, as a “terrorist” cited the testimony of well-known drug trafficker Kadir İnan, who has been convicted of 13 different crimes, as evidence.

At Thursday’s hearing, İnan said he was pressured during his interrogations by police officers and a prosecutor to make false statements about several people from the Gülen movement. İnan added that his statements, which were later presented to the court, were tampered with to frame the movement.

In a previous hearing in April, the prime suspect, police officer Seyit Akşit, confessed he had been promised he would be able to keep his position in the police force and receive immunity from prosecution in return for false testimony against the Gülen movement. Akşit added the issue had nothing to do with the so-called “parallel structure.”

Akşit is accused of passing information to İnan on the identities of informants in the drug world as well as details of a police investigation into a drug cartel in Ankara.

When a massive corruption investigation into the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) became public on Dec. 17, 2013, the AK Party responded to the graft allegations by removing police officers and members of the judiciary from their current positions and reappointing them to less influential posts or expelling them completely whenever possible. Then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims a “parallel structure” affiliated with the Gülen movement is behind the corruption probe and is seeking to overthrow his government, although he has produced no proof to support this claim.

Several businessmen close to the government as well as the sons of three ministers were detained in the investigation on Dec. 17. However, the probe was stalled after the government removed the prosecutors conducting the case and was later discontinued after pro-government prosecutors took over the case.

The Gülen movement is also known as the Hizmet movement, especially within Turkey.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 07, 2015


Related News

Erdogan plotted purge before coup, say Brussels spies

he European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that Fethullah Gülen, an exiled cleric, was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gülen’s extradition from the US.

CPJ report: Turkey world’s 10th most dangerous country for journalists

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) on Wednesday released a special report for 2014 designating Turkey is the world’s 10 worst country for journalists, once again underlining the country’s deteriorating situation for freedom of expression and free media.

Lawyers confirm: Turkish teachers are still in Kosovo

Lawyers representing six Turkish teachers who were arrested in Kosovo on Thursday, have released a written statement in which they confirmed that the teachers have not been deported to Turkey yet.

US law professor: Gülen extradition would be unlawful

Seval Yıldırım, a professor of law at Whittier Law School, said in a statement to Today’s Zaman on Wednesday that for the US to extradite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen without a formal case against him would be an infringement of US law.

Hatred-inciting discourses and the debate on ‘genocide and crime against humanity’

Speaking to reporters on April 29 during his return from an official visit to Kuwait, President Erdoğan made these much-debated remarks: “Those belonging to this organization [Hizmet movement], from top to bottom, should certainly pay a price. They will either respect state authority or WILL PERISH.”

Thousands in anti-corruption protests; Erdoğan defiant

Thousands took to the streets of İstanbul on Sunday to protest against the government over a corruption scandal that has led to multiple arrests, including sons of two ministers and general manager of the state-run Halkbank.
Twenty-four people, including the sons of two ministers and the head of state-owned Halkbank, have been formally charged in connection with the corruption inquiry that Erdoğan has called a “dirty operation” to undermine his rule.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu conducts cataract surgeries in Nepal

Gülen’s critics have no supporting evidence, says academic

Coup and Countercoup in Turkey

Huntsville’s Peace Valley Foundation sets annual Dialogue Dinner and awards

Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide? (2)

CHP asks gov’t about file allegedly targeting TUSKON

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News