Gülen’s lawyer asks MİT whether it wiretapped client’s phone

Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: April 13, 2015

İZZETTİN ÇİÇEK / ANKARA

Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak, who represents Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has asked in a petition to the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) whether allegations suggesting Gülen’s phones had been wiretapped by the organization are true.

Albayrak sent the inquiry to MİT based on claims in an article recently written by Yeni Şafak columnist Cem Küçük. In the article, Küçük wrote: “It is seen from the legal wiretaps of phone conversations released by MİT that [Doğan Media Group owner] Aydın Doğan showers Fethullah Gülen with praise. Nowadays, Turkey will be shaken with a new suitcase incident.”

Küçük’s use of the term “suitcase incident” refers to when journalist Mehmet Baransu in 2010 submitted to public prosecutors documents related to a 2003 coup plot in a suitcase, which marked the beginning of a coup trial known as Sledgehammer.

In the petition, the lawyer asked MİT if his client’s phone conversations had been wiretapped by the organization and, if so, whether it was based on a court decision or had any legal basis.

Albayrak asked whether MİT staff had uploaded to the Internet the recordings in question, which the lawyer says had been edited and were not authentic.

The lawyer also asked whether any legal action has been taken against those responsible for wiretapping his client if it had been carried out without a court order.

In addition, Albayrak asked whether MİT will take any legal action concerning the claims raised by Küçük if the allegations about the wiretapping of Gülen by MİT turn out to be false.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 12, 2015


Related News

PM Erdoğan: Internet bill protesters are defenders of immorality

Media outlets ran stories based on leaked voice recordings and the documents of a second probe, which has been stalled since Dec. 25, 2014, when the government started removing or reassigning thousands of police officers and police chiefs as well as the prosecutors carrying out the investigation. The press has since reported that the depths of corruption within the government is actually a lot bigger than initially assumed.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, cannot leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altıparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University, told the Los Angeles Times to describe how the lives of thousands have changed since a July 15 coup attempt. “You cannot leave the country, you cannot find other jobs, either because of legal or de facto obstacles, because even in the private sector people do not want to employ you.”

Ayan: Halkbank operated like Iran’s Central Bank

“The extent of this operation is far beyond the reach of the cemaat [the Hizmet movement],” [“The extent of this operation is far beyond the reach of the cemaat [the Hizmet movement],” Famous Turkish investor Nasrullah Ayan said. He thinks, rather, that powerful international groups could have pulled the trigger or provided technical support to the probe. He pointed to the fact that the operation was launched after the agreement between Iran and the P5+1 nations in Geneva — which gave Iran partial relief from a harsh regime of

Turks threatened over alleged links to the Gülen movement find a safe haven in Greece

When thousands of Turkish citizens lost their jobs or were jailed over suspected links to the Islamist Gülen movement, they chose self-exile to escape persecution.

Erzurum people call Minister Ala to apologize Gülen for his remarks

Gülen is highly respected both in Turkey and in many countries around the world for educational activities he has pioneered, along with his efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the globe. He is in self-imposed exile in the US, though there is no legal hurdle that prevents him from returning to Turkey.

Erdoğan threatens Kosovo PM: You will pay

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Saturday lashed out at Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj for dismissing the interior minister and the secret service chief over the abduction of six Turkish nationals to Turkey, threatening that he would pay for it.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

55-year-old leukemia patient says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son behind bars over Gülen links

International photography contest “Peace at the Frame”

U.S. schools are indirectly linked to preacher, often well-regarded

Hira magazine changes perception of Turkey in Arab world

Kazakh Turkish Schools Realize Nazarbayev’s Dreams

Review of Walter Wagner’s Beginnings and Endings: Fethullah Gulen’s Vision for Today’s World

A Personal Story from Turkey: I am a “Man of Law” Not a Terrorist!

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News