Another Victim of Erdogan’s Wrath

Customers brandish banknotes as they prepare to deposit in their Bank Asya accounts in the western Turkish city of Canakkale. (Photo: Cihan)
Customers brandish banknotes as they prepare to deposit in their Bank Asya accounts in the western Turkish city of Canakkale. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: February 6, 2015

MAHIR ZEYNALOV

In an unprecedented display of solidarity to bail out a bank that has been a target of a relentless campaign waged by the Turkish authorities for over a year, Turkish depositors flooded the branches of the bank across Turkey to save it from the president’s wrath.

Twitter and Facebook filled with photos of people waiting in long lines to deposit what they have in cash or jewelry, signaling that the government’s attempt to sink the bank will end in vain.

The picture could seem as a joke, but it is not. This is the second campaign by loyal depositors, albeit a bigger one, to dash the hopes of Turkey’s bellicose President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who reportedly ordered to sink the bank.

Erdoğan’s unceasing bid to bury the bank is largely driven by his declared witch-hunt against institutions affiliated with the Gülen movement. In the latest twist to a saga, a banking watchdog ordered the state insurance fund to take over the management of the bank. The news of the takeover came minutes after Turkey’s famous whistleblower Fuat Avni warned against a campaign by the Turkish government and the pro-government media to portray the bank as “failing” to prompt “sudden mass withdrawals” and hence speed up its demise.

The authorities have so far been unsuccessful to end the bank’s life as loyal customers kept it afoot by depositing their assets. The government views the fall of the bank as an important milestone in dealing a blow to the Gülen movement, which has been adamant to bow before the president’s increasingly growing clout.

On the social media, Turks shared photos of their jewelry before they were deposited in gold accounts. Given that refined jewelry loses significant value when deposited in a bank account, the sacrifice of the depositors is jaw-dropping.

Here are some photos of long lines in Bank Asya branches across Turkey:

Source: The Huffington Post , February 5, 2015


Related News

‘My 5-month old son is slowly going blind in prison,’ says jailed mother

Betül Selçuk, a physics teacher who has been held in pretrial detention for almost 11 months over alleged links to the Gülen movement, has told her lawyer that her 5-month-old son, Mehmet Selim, is slowly going blind in prison due to overheating and unhygienic conditions.

Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

The wife of murdered academic Necip Hablemitoğlu has said a recent attempt to establish a connection between the assassination of her husband and the Hizmet movement is an effort to turn her against the movement.

Is this corruption scandal backed by the US?

The government has developed a two-stage strategy in order to manage this scandal. The first stage was to blame foreign powers. The second stage was to declare the Gülen community as the representative of these foreign powers in the country and thereby put the blame on the Gülen community.

Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison

Yavuz Bölek, a former police chief who was dismissed from his job following corruption probes implicating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has colorectal cancer and will soon be paralyzed if he is not given medical attention. His requests for treatment have been ignored.

After The Coup Attempt, A Crackdown In Turkey

Once considered a beacon of hope for the Middle East, Turkey has been rapidly backsliding on issues of democracy, freedom of the press, and human rights. One would have thought this downfall hit bottom on July 15, when a bloody coup was attempted, leaving behind more than 250 dead.

Kimse Yok Mu continues to help needy despite gov’t restrictions

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) is still extending a helping hand to those in need, especially during the holy month of Ramadan, despite restrictions imposed by the government on the organization’s ability to campaign for donations.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Silencing Taraf daily

Gülen, the most important figure of tolerance and dialogue

Is it a parallel triangle or square?

Applicants affiliated with CHP, Hizmet movement face discrimination

Turkey’s Koç: I met with Gülen; there is nothing wrong with that

Turkish anti-terrorism police carried out raids in six cities, detaining at least five people with alleged links to al-Qaida

Fethullah Gulen: No Return from Democracy!

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News