Former US Ambassador Ricciardone: Hizmet members not terrorists

Former US Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone attends an event in the southern province of Adana in this June 2014 file photo. (Photo: DHA)
Former US Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone attends an event in the southern province of Adana in this June 2014 file photo. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: January 17, 2015

ALİ H. ASLAN / WASHINGTON

Former US Ambassador to Turkey Frank Ricciardone has said that the US government does not regard members of faith-based Hizmet movement as terrorists.

Speaking at a forum in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday organized by a think tank called the Transatlantic Academy, Ambassador Ricciardone, who left Turkey only a few months ago, said that ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government officials so far had not come up with tangible evidence against the Hizmet movement, and stressed that the US government does not see members of the movement as terrorists. “High officials would come to me and complain about [Islamic scholar Fethullah] Gülen. I would say, show me any evidence of crimes in your law or in ours. Are you suggesting any violence anywhere, any violent crime or another crime? Money laundering, people trafficking, visa problems, anything? They [the Turkish government] certainly never suggest [any crime]. Nobody from the Turkish state, in an official conversation with me, ever suggested there was violence there [the Hizmet movement],” he added.

“The US government does not regard the Hizmet movement as violent terrorists. Period,” Ricciardone underscored.

Ricciardone has been working as the vice president and director of the Atlantic Council’s Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East since September of last year. Following revelations of a graft probe on Dec. 17, 2013 that implicated some members of the AK Party, then-Prime Minister and now President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan threatened to expel Ricciardone, accusing the US of being behind a foreign plot against Turkey.

Ricciardone said Turkish government officials are really concerned about the threat the Gülen movement poses to national security. He pointed out that the US government will take these concerns about the movement seriously, but it’s still hard for the US “intellectually to see how a movement, a religious movement that the US respects as doing good things for Turkish-American relations,” both in the US and Turkey is a threat. “How could that be a threat to the state?” Ricciardone asked.

Stressing that the Turkish government describes the movement as “a state within a state”, Ricciardone said: “Alright, but where is the crime? In your terms or in our terms. You are the government of Turkey, we respect you and take you seriously; we see how politically this could be a worrisome thing. It would be worrisome in our country if a particular group that is not a political party, is not overtly running for office and getting elected, were to penetrate the state, it would make a lot of Americans angry and upset. But, we don’t see a crime here.” Ricciardone added that Turkish government has been frustrated with the US due to this dispute over what the Turkish government sees as a national security problem.

Ambassador Ricciardone also said that when he was serving in Ankara, his doors were always open to visitors from the Hizmet movement, adding that his meetings with people who are law abiding citizens were no secret. “Are you saying that these Turkish citizens are criminals that should not be coming to my country or my home? No? Then we are going to keep seeing them,” he added.

After the eruption of a graft scandal on Dec. 17, 2013, Erdoğan implied that Turkey could expel the US ambassador to Turkey for alleged remarks regarding the police operation investigating corruption and bribery. According to a report that appeared in four pro-government dailies, then-US Ambassador to Turkey Ricciardone told EU ambassadors at a meeting in Ankara on Dec. 17, 2013 that they are about to witness the collapse of an empire [Turkey]. The US Embassy issued a statement after the claims appeared in the dailies, denouncing them as complete lies and slander.

During his speech on Wednesday, Ricciardone stressed that Turkey and the US have “shared interests,” rather than “shared values,” pointing to negative developments in Turkey with regard to freedom of expression.

Adding that there are people close to Erdoğan who say that there is no need for “checks and balances” Ricciardone said, “There really are different values in that administration from the values that we have.”

He also said that he is concerned about pro-government media trying to convince Turkish people that the West is an enemy and the US is the leader.

Ricciardone also underscored the importance of impartiality and independence of the judiciary in Turkey. “At the end of the day, judges need to be accountable not to a cult, not to a secretive group, but to the law,” he said.

US will work with anyone, including military

When asked why the US administration did not show a strong reaction against the Turkish government’s crackdown on media some media outlets on Dec. 14 of last year, Ricciardone said sometimes the US opts not to condemn certain acts, but does make recommendations. Noting that Turkey is an important country in the region, Ricciardone said that Turkey and the US are “kind of stuck with each other,” and that the US would like to have a reasonable relationship with whoever governs Turkey, including military generals.

“We need to be realistic about how we influence other countries’ public opinions and state decisions. Sometimes naming, shaming and strident condemnation are unavoidable. You’ve got to do it. Other times, you go by different ways, trying to stay engaged with people when you can. Being straightforward about our values and our purposes all the time, as we must,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 15, 2015


Related News

Gulen Accuses Erdogan of ‘Hijacking’ Kosovo Deportees

Fethullah Gulen, the Turkish preacher who has lived in voluntary exile in the US since 1999, on Tuesday criticized the deportation of six Turkish citizens from Kosovo to Turkey in an operation conducted by Turkish state intelligence, likening it to a hijacking.

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Since the launch of the major corruption operation on Dec. 17, 2013, more than 20,000 police officers, bureaucrats, judges and prosecutors have been reassigned for no official reason other than their suspected links to the Hizmet movement.

Police, gov’t inspectors raid Gülen-inspired private, prep schools in Gaziantep

In another instance of a government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, the police along with inspectors from several ministries and institutions conducted raids at eight institutions owned by the Safa Education Institution, which was established by volunteers of the movement in Gaziantep, early on Monday.

The Global Imam

Suzan Hansen wrote an article about Mr. Gulen on The New Republic Magazine. She is trying to answer the question: What does the leader of the world’s most influential Islamic movement really want? What does the leader of the world’s most influential Islamic movement really want? Suzy Hansen November 10, 2010   The New Republic (Full content […]

Dinners in Ramadan tent welcome all faiths in Bethlehem

Hosted by the Lehigh Dialogue Center, Turkish Cultural Center of Pennsylvania and Bethlehem the second annual Ramadan Tent Dinner in the city observed the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. “Bethlehem is a melting pot,” Mayor Callahan said. “This event is an opportunity for us to learn more about each other as individuals. This is how we grow.”

GYV: PM’s discriminatory rhetoric undermines social peace

Arguments and discriminatory rhetoric used by the prime minister against the Hizmet movement spoil the emotional well-being of our people; undermine social peace and prepare the groundwork for violence by sowing the seeds of hatred in society, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) said in a forceful statement published on its website on Thursday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Opposition journalists speak at U.N. panel on Turkey’s human rights record

A Visit with Turkey’s Controversial Religious Movement

Turkey’s Ongoing Crackdown: nearly 13,000 police officers suspended for alleged links to the Gulen movement

The AK Party versus the Gülen Community

A Forum On Africa in Turkey (I)

Mr. Minister, please look at yourself in the mirror

Woman accused of being Gülenist by ex-husband in prison for 10 months

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News