Erdoğan’s scapegoats: the West and Gülen

İHSAN YILMAZ
İHSAN YILMAZ


Date posted: April 30, 2014

İHSAN YILMAZ

 

Last week I wrote that Erdoğan has a “Hobbesian-Machiavellian” state mentality and does not seem to be bound by any natural law, universal standards, human rights, international obligations, ethics or morality.

It seems that for him the only criterion is winning elections and thereby keeping power. He is ready to do whatever it takes to keep power and become more powerful. That is why he insists on saying things that are known to be untrue and comes out with unproven accusations against other people, groups and countries in an attempt at psychological warfare. To this end, he will continue to demonize both the West and Fethullah Gülen, who is portrayed by Erdoğan as a puppet of the West.

He will continue to use anti-Western and anti-Israeli sentiments in his public rallies and also deepen and intensify these sentiments. Responding to the criticisms of the German president, Erdoğan simply said, “He may think that he is still a Christian priest,” knowing very well that his nationalist, conservative 43 percent of the public has all sorts of stereotypical, demonizing images of “crusading Christians” in their minds. He is both using and fortifying these negative sentiments.

As I wrote here last week: “To win the presidential elections, he will continue to polarize society; he will continue to invent some nebulous and abstract enemies to present himself as the victim, and he will continue to imagine a postmodern Western Crusader attacking the bright potential leader of the Muslim world, himself. He will continue to frame the Hizmet movement as a puppet of these dark Western, even Judeo-Christian, forces, since he does not have enough time to fabricate a new enemy with the presidential elections very close. To ‘prove’ his case, he may need a serious clash with the West, and trying to open the Hagia Sophia as a mosque will give him this opportunity. Western reactions to this attempt will be used skillfully and craftily to make his point.”

He already started this game in his talk with PBS’s Charlie Rose. He stated that he will ask for the extradition of Gülen from the US. By mentioning this, he wants his voters to believe that Gülen is a criminal who is protected and supported by the US. Whatever reaction the US authorities give on this extradition issue, it will be used by Erdoğan. He knows very well that there is not a shred of judicial evidence against Gülen and that, despite his pressure, prosecutors have not agreed to write an indictment for Gülen, being aware that a few years later, when democracy and the rule of law return to Turkey, they can be held to account. Nevertheless, he will continue to talk about this issue to “prove” that the West is against him so that voters must unite behind him or any candidate he deems suitable for the presidential race. He can even push for a ridiculous extradition application to be made to the US, and when this is refused, he will use this in his public rallies as evidence to show that the US is working with Gülen to topple his government. As I said, he is not bound by ethics and knows very well that corruption is a fact in Turkey but prefers to present himself as the victim. He has skillfully pushed Western observers into a dilemma: When they speak out against the increasing authoritarianism in the country, he will use this reaction to fabricate a crusade against him and Turkey, but if they do not react, democratic people, groups, forces and institutions in Turkey will be very resentful. The man is a political magician. May God save us and our democracy from him!

 

Source: Todays Zaman , April 30, 2014


Related News

Gülen calls for support to a [presidential] candidate with true integrity

Commenting on the upcoming presidential elections on Sunday, Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged Turks not to cast their vote for a candidate who oppresses citizens, does injustice to them and disregards the rule of law.

Crackdown on journalists leaves void in post-coup Turkey

That is down in large part to the gutting of Turkey’s independent press. More than 115 journalists have been imprisoned and hundreds more fired since the July 15th coup attempt, while 130 media outlets have been shuttered. That, in addition to the sacking of more than 1,000 media workers in the previous 12 months, has left crucial questions unanswered. Put simply, there is no one left – or willing – to overturn the stones on which the failed military takeover was built.

Renowned Kurdish singer Sivan Perwer lauds Gülen’s support for peace process

Famous Kurdish singer Şivan Perwer has said he found the remarks of well-respected Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on the peace process to end the Kurdish issue “important.” Perwer described the announcement of support from Gülen as a “significant event” as he said people in Turkey listen to what the Islamic scholar has to say. […]

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Veteran Turkish journalist Nazlı Ilıcak was fired on Wednesday from her long-time post at the Sabah daily over a “disagreement on issues,” according to the pro-government newspaper. Ilıcak argued that Erdoğan had been misled by his advisors, leading to prejudices and suspicions about the Hizmet movement.

Opposition CHP to take Gül-approved dershane law to Constitutional Court

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) is preparing to take a controversial law closing Turkey’s dershanes, or private preparatory schools, to the Constitutional Court, the party said a day after President Abdullah Gül signed the bill into law on Wednesday.

Kurdish initiative should not be suspended by provocative acts

TUĞBA MEZARARKALI/MEHMET TAYANÇ, BINGÖL The final declaration of a recent symposium on Turkey’s Kurdish issue, attended by Turkish and international academics, authors, politicians and leading thinkers, says that Kurdish initiatives aiming to resolve Turkey’s long-standing Kurdish problem by meeting some of the Kurdish people’s demands should not be suspended due to provocative acts. Organized by […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Response to aspersion on Hizmet

Kurds, Turkey and growing with Öcalan’s help?

Gülen’s defense against Erdoğan’s onslaught

Kimse Yok Mu establishes 16 water wells in Cameroon

Uganda president praises Turkish schools’ success, calls for deeper cooperation

Turkey pledges to help rebuild Bosnia after floods

They busted the house of a deceased teacher to take her under custody

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News