TUSKON denies mass resignations after corruption probe


Date posted: April 30, 2014

ISTANBUL

Turkey’s leading business conglomerate has denied reports of mass resignations following a recent corruption scandal, vowing to sue pro-government Yeni Şafak for fabricating false information.The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has described the news report as “completely false” and said in a statement on Wednesday that it is part of a “slander campaign” to defame the confederation by the pro-government media.

The group said it is a “normal situation” that members sign up or leave the membership on their own will, denying any recent mass resignations related to the Dec. 17 graft investigation.

Dismissing facts indicated in the Yeni Şafak’s story, the TUSKON said in the statement that 133 members left the Bursa Chamber of Entrepreneurial Industrialists (BUGİAD) in 2014 while 83 new members signed up the confederation at the same time, putting the total number of members at 1,013. BUGİAD officials reported that the changes in the membership are a normal situation.

The statement said facts presented regarding the Rize’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RİSİAD) are based on “false and biased interpretations.” It added that only five of total 9 resigned members did so related to the corruption probe and that four other members didn’t resign in protest. In the same period, TUSKON said, 13 new members signed up to the chamber and the number of members climed to 210.

It also said Bahar Ticaret owner Mehmet Üzümcü is still the member of the association and that they haven’t seen any resignation letter from him. Yeni Şafak claimed that Üzümcü will present his resignation.

The report also included criticisms of businessman İbrahim Aslıyürek from Rize, but TUSKON said he is not the member of the TUSKON.

Regarding the Erzurum Young Businessmen Association (ERGİAD), the statement said only seven members left the association and 30 members signed up in the same period. The total number of the members in the association today is 813.

In addition, TUSKON said 23 members left the Kocaeli Association of Active Businessmen and Industrialists (KASİAD) in 2014 while 11 new members signed up the association in the same period. The number of members today is 412. It added that resignation of only two of total 23 businessmen is related to the Dec. 17 corruption investigation.

TUSKON said all business groups mentioned in Yeni Şafak story will start necessary legal action against the allegations.

“Regardless of the current political atmosphere, our confederation will continue to stand by what is right and will decisively continue developing projects that support our entrepreneurs to open up to new markets,” the statement concluded.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 30, 2014


Related News

Peshawar High Court halts government order to deport Pak-Turk school staff

Petitioner counsel Qazi Muhammad Anwar argued that all the Turkish teachers are very peaceful people who have committed no crime in Turkey as well as here in Pakistan.” He prayed the bench to suspend the federal government’s notice and stop deportation of the Turkish teachers and their families. The bench accepted the request and restrained the deportation of Pak-Turk schools’ staff.

UN 59th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women

Peace Islands Institute, the Journalists and Writers Foundation, Global Businesswomen Association and the Institute for Economics and Peace held a panel discussion titled “Economic Empowerment of Women to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals” during the UN CSW 59th Commission on the Status of Women.

Tables Have Turned for Some Media in Turkish Crackdown

Mr. Kenes says he should have been more outspoken in defense of fellow journalists when the government started targeting its critics more than a decade ago. “Frankly, we did not realize Mr. Erdogan’s real intentions,” said Mr. Kenes, who was convicted last year of insulting the president on Twitter and given a 21-month suspended prison sentence. “When I look at my history, I criticize myself for not showing more sympathy for their cases.”

Mind-polluting leaks about Hizmet movement

The Taraf daily has performed extraordinarily in the fight against the bureaucratic oligarchy. Its contributions to the process of cleaning up the back alleys of the country cannot be ignored. However, it appears that it has started to make several errors due to its skyrocketing self-confidence. BÜLENT KORUCU March 8, 2012 Add to this overblown […]

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)

At that time, I knew only a few journalists who claimed Şık’s arrest was not because of his book but because of inconsistencies in the story he had told the judge. He claimed not to know any such people, but there was evidence he may have known and had relationships with Ergenekon suspects. Emre Uslu, […]

Report: Gülen-linked media outlets sold to pro-gov’t media groups without tender

A number of TV and radio stations that were closed down by the government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15 due to their links to the faith-based Gülen movement have been sold to the pro-government Turkuvaz Media Group without a tender.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pro-government paper claims with photoshopped image that Gülen has Vatican passport

Two days in Kenya with Kimse Yok Mu

Turkey and the “forgotten” Zaman journalists in jail

Mogadishu Governor visits KYM Headquarters

Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

The Public Trial of Fethullah Gulen

UN-affiliated aid organization becomes new witch hunt target

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News