Exit strategy for the AKP

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: January 17, 2014

İHSAN YILMAZ

It has become clearer that the Recep Tayyip Erdoğan government will do whatever it takes to stop a judicial investigation into graft, corruption and sleaze. About 3,000 police officers, also acting as legal enforcement officers by law since the government has not yet formed a separate enforcement unit, have been removed from their posts without any reason.

Some officers have been relocated five times in the last month. Twenty prosecutors have also been removed as a result of the justice minister’s pressure. Now, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) is working on a new bill that will virtually attach the judiciary to the justice minister, who will be able to remove prosecutors and punish them. Instead of letting the judiciary do its job and focus on the judicial evidence and prove them wrong, Erdoğan and his media want us to focus only on an alleged international conspiracy comprised of the US, the EU, the Jewish lobby, Israel and even Lufthansa, which is allegedly very jealous of Turkish Airlines (THY)!

Last weekend several AKP deputies visited some European countries and tried to convince the Turkish diaspora that the corruption investigations are Gezi-type plots by these dark forces. One of them, Mr. Mehmet Metiner, cited the only imprisoned National Intelligence Organization (MİT) agent in the Ergenekon case. According to Metiner, the US, the EU, the Jewish lobby and Israel will launch an attack against the AKP and Metiner told those Turks that the MİT agent’s prophecy has now come true with these corruption cases.

It is impossible to reason with AKP politicians or Erdoğan’s advisors who have a similar mindset to Mr. Metiner. As I wrote here a few days ago, in the words of former Interior Minister İdris Naim Şahin, a small oligarchic staff comprising politicians and bureaucrats, whose intentions are uncertain, are now very influential within the party and the government. But we also know that many AKP deputies are upset with the performance of the narrow oligarchic clique. Thus, I am not addressing this oligarchy clique or their staunch supporters within the government, the AKP and the media. I hope that the concerned and reasonable majority of the party will pay attention to what is being said here.

First, it is the party’s right to defend its members’ innocence in the graft cases. But in democracies, this is done by trusting the judiciary and asking prosecutors to prove their cases based on sound concrete evidence. This, of course, takes time. But if the AKP and the suspects remain calm and reasonable, they will have a better chance of convincing the public about such accusations, especially if these accusations are groundless.

Second, we must also talk about the AKP’s accusations against the judiciary and the police. This can also be done by remaining calm and reasonable. The AKP must present its concrete evidence and sound arguments, showing that some police officers, prosecutors and judges had acted illegally, fabricated evidence, staged a plot against the government and received orders from the Hizmet movement while doing their jobs. Then, all sorts of judicial investigations must be launched against these suspects. Erdoğan should even share the evidence with the media.

Third, as Hizmet’s Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) reiterated last month, the AKP must, as soon as possible, start working towards EU reforms, the establishment of a fully democratic Turkey, the establishment of the rule of law, the most advanced fundamental rights and freedoms, equality of all before the law, a civilian constitution and a transparent state that can be held accountable. Since, as the GYV stated, the greatest obstacle before the emergence of a parallel state or uncontrollable cliques which seize the state is a full democratic and transparent state according to EU standards which is governed by the supremacy and rule of law and is held accountable to Parliament, the judiciary, the Court of Accounts, the media and the general public.

If, instead of doing all these, the AKP government keeps reassigning the police and prosecutors without any concrete accusation based on evidence, it will give the impression that some of these AKP politicians are indeed guilty.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 17, 2014


Related News

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

Unimpressed by Turkish ‘parallel structure’ defense, MEPs approve critical report

A EP committee has approved a report on Turkey that criticizes the government’s handling of a corruption investigation, despite a last-minute letter from the Turkish government claiming that a set of controversial measures taken in the wake of the probe were designed to fight a “parallel structure” within the state.

Which is the bigger threat, Turkey’s coup or Erdogan’s response?

Erdogan’s counter-coup may do more to change Turkish politics than the coup plotters ever sought, completing the country’s transformation from secular democracy to what’s fast becoming the new favorite government for aspiring dictators — one where the media is strictly controlled, conformity is entrenched through the schools, elections bring little change, and presidents can rule for life.

Burc Schools achieve 13 medals in AMC 8

350 thousand students, in total, from 6000 schools around the world participated in this year’s AMC 8, recognized as the world’s most prestigious math contest involving middle schoolers. Among the participating Turkish schools, Adana Burc Schools’ students achieved a notable success by winning 13 medals. Turkey, South Korea, China, US, Canada, Russia and Taiwan constitute the award winning countries in the event.

Exiled Turks Fleeing Erdogan Find New Lives in Greece

Turks who fled the wrath of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after a failed coup against him in July, 2016 have landed in Greece seeking asylum and integrating themselves into society as many are educated professionals, unlike many refugees and migrants finding themselves locked in detention centers and camps.

Businessmen voice frustration over smear campaign against Hizmet

The Akşehir Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (AKSİAD) has condemned an ongoing defamation campaign being conducted against the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling on government officials to refrain from the hate speech and polarizing rhetoric that are damaging the society.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu’s Eid al-Adha aid efforts worldwide

Policeman, teacher wife and premature baby under arrest over Gülen links

Evolution of the Gulen [Hizmet] Movement

Erdoğan’s hate speech moves to US

Fethullah Gülen says Turkey’s involvement in a war would bring mass destruction

Earthquakes strengthen Taiwan, Turkey friendship

Mavi Marmara and Gülen’s critics: politics and principles

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News