Erdoğan’s aide: Unjust to suggest Hizmet eavesdropped on PM

Dr. Yalcin-Akdogan
Dr. Yalcin-Akdogan


Date posted: January 2, 2013

A political aide to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Monday that it would be “unjust” and “wrong” to associate the Hizmet movement with wiretapping devices found in Erdoğan’s office.

Speaking to TV station NTV, Yalçın Akdoğan, an adviser to the prime minister and a deputy of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), said: “Some people placed those devices there…. This is a grave situation.”

Akdoğan said that when people from his party accused the deep state of being behind the wiretapping scandal, their remarks were misinterpreted by some as if they had pointed a finger at the Hizmet movement (aka Gulen movement), inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

He clarified that what they had meant to indicate were deep-state gangs like Ergenekon, a shadowy criminal network with alleged links within the state that is suspected of plotting to topple the government, and not the Hizmet movement.

“It would be completely unjust and wrong to associate this situation with the movement,” he said.

The prime minister announced on a live TV program in late December that bugging devices had been found in his office at his Ankara home but did not specify the number of devices or when they were found. “Security units [the police] found those devices. They were placed inside the office of my house. Such things occur despite all measures taken to prevent them,” he stated. An investigation is under way into how the devices were planted there and by whom.

Akdoğan also spoke to the Star daily on Monday and said he would not choose a member of Ergenekon over any Islamic community. Akdoğan made this statement in response to criticism that the government has begun to downplay Ergenekon.

Source: Today’s Zaman 1 January 2013


Related News

Applicants affiliated with CHP, Hizmet movement face discrimination

Following the tension between the government and the Hizmet movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — the government has based its recruitment policy on “color lists” to avoid employing people affiliated with some groups such as the Hizmet movement and the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) in the public sector, a Turkish daily claimed on Monday.

THY passengers strongly criticize embargo on Today’s Zaman

Turkey’s flagship carrier Turkish Airlines began an embargo on Dec. 23, 2013 on the distribution of the newspapers Zaman, Today’s Zaman, Bugün and Ortadoğu to business class passengers on its planes, without providing an explanation. Other dailies are still being handed out on board.

GYV president Usak passes away in exile

A renowned intellectual, journalist and president of the Journalists’ and Writers’ Foundation (GYV) Cemal Usak, who was among the targets of the Turkish government’s ongoing crackdown on the faith based Gulen movement, has passed away at the age of 63 while in exile. Usak had been receiving cancer treatment for the past several years. Reportedly, he was told he would die in prison if he comes to Turkey.

How It Feels to Be a Dissident in Turkey After the Failed Military Coup

LOUISE CALLAGHAN To plan a speedy political exile from Turkey today, you need two things: a world map and the Wikipedia page on “visa entry requirements for Turkish citizens.” If you get out a highlighter and start cross-referencing the two, you’ll quickly see the bottom half of the map is more accessible than the top. […]

Kimse Yok Mu meets Syrian refugees’ needs through sister families

CİHAN ACAR, ŞANLIURFA Some of the urgent needs of Syrian refugees who have being sheltering in the southeastern region of Turkey since they fled from the intensifying violence in Syria are being met by the “sister family” project organized by the Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) charity foundation. Syrian refugees in Turkey, whose numbers […]

Interview: U.S. Judge Says Turkey’s Judiciary ‘Taken Over’ By Erdogan

Even before the coup attempt in July, the judiciary was being essentially taken over by [then] PM Tayyip Erdogan. When the attempted coup occurred in July, within 24 hours there were arrest warrants for almost 3,000 judges. And it’s very clear, and in fact it’s been admitted by the deputy chair of the High Council [of Judges and Prosecutors, the body that selects and assigns judges], that that list of judges had existed for years.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Conflict between Gülen Movement and Turkey’s ruling AKP reflected in business world

17 Nigerian-Turkish schools caught in Ankara coup crossfire

Sacked policeman’s grim death sparks debate on COVID-19 data in Turkish prisons

Gov’t profiling of individuals found unacceptable, unlawful

Kyrgyz president: Those calling Turkish teachers terrorists should see a doctor

Approval rate of Turkish schools abroad at 78 percent

WikiLeaks reveals emails from the son-in-law of President Erdogan, ‘proving his connection to ISIS operation smuggling oil into Turkey’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News