FM Davutoglu praises Fethullah Gülen’s contribution to education

Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu joined the 10th International Turkish Olympiads activities on Monday in the province of Konya. (Photo: AA)
Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu joined the 10th International Turkish Olympiads activities on Monday in the province of Konya. (Photo: AA)


Date posted: June 5, 2012

4 June 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has praised Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen for  supporting and promoting educational activities in foreign countries, along with his efforts to inspire intercultural and interreligious dialogue globally.

Davutoğlu joined the 10th International Turkish Olympiads activities on Monday in the province of Konya and delivered a speech during the gala dinner at the Konya Rixos Hotel. In his speech Davutoğlu expressed his joy at seeing children of different nationalities traveling to Turkey to recite their poems and songs in various parts of the country, saying it would be enshrined in the memories of the Turkish people.

He described the participants as people taking to the road to disseminate love, peace and equality around the globe. “God bless the people who organize, assist and contribute to these activities, in particular Fethullah Gülen, for his inspiration,” Davutoğlu said.

The 10th International Turkish Olympiads, which brings together hundreds of foreign students each year from Turkish schools established throughout the world, is preparing to offer glorious performances from 1,500 foreign students representing 135 countries this year.

Another event held as part of the Olympiads was a three-day-long exhibition of stalls showcasing the dress and cultural symbols of different cultures. The exhibition, which ended on Monday, was held at the İstanbul Expo Center (IFM) and attracted nearly 600,000 visitors. A stall was set up for each of the 135 countries at the event to promote an understanding of different cultures. One visitor to the exhibition, Mustafa Erdoğan, founder and artistic director of the dance company Anadolu Ateşi, said that this is the first year he is following the Olympiads and he is greatly moved by what he has seen so far. “It is like I am traveling the world here in this exhibition,” he said.

On Monday, 65 foreign students from 25 countries, who have come to Turkey’s Bursa province for the Olympiads, toured the province ahead of their performances in the evening, an event also attended by Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç. Touring the province with their nations’ flags in their hands, the students were welcomed by locals, who showed their love and support by applauding the participants. Receiving students at his office, Mayor of Bursa Şahabettin Harput congratulated the students for their success in learning to speak Turkish fluently in a short time. “It is a source of great pride for us to see a Kenyan boy singing a Turkish song so well,” he said. Students then paid a visit to the office of Bursa Chamber of Trade and Industry (BTSO) President Celal Sönmez. Sönmez, in return, presented the students with tablet PCs to show his pleasure at their visit.

‘Children build bridges of  peace’

Diyarbakır Governor Mustafa Toprak has stated that the children coming together in Turkey from all over the world are building bridges for peace. “Through the Olympiads students coming from different countries integrate with each other, they get to know each other’s culture and countries by sharing, and as a result of this exchange a bridge of peace is erected between states,” Toprak said on Monday.

Coming to Turkey to attend the Diyarbakır tour of the 10th International Turkish Olympiads, students from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Gabon and Kenya visited Toprak at his residence. Following a frank dialogue between the students, Toprak noted that such events are vital to introduce the world to Turkey and for Turkish people to learn more about world cultures. The students, who are able to speak many languages, impressed with their exceptional Turkish. They told Governor Toprak that Turkish is the easiest language to learn.

Source:Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/news-282480-fm-davutoglu-praises-gulens-contribution-to-education.html


Related News

The Independent: Turkish men ‘face torture’ after being extradited from Malaysia as post-coup crackdown continues

Three Turkish men including a school principal are at risk of torture after being “abducted” and extradited from Malaysia, human rights groups have warned.

Questions on a Coup – Did Erdogan engineer it himself?

Now that Erdogan has cleared away all of his rivals from within, he has aggressively demanded that the U.S. extradite his only remaining serious rival – Fethullah Gulen. It would be unconscionable and immoral for the U.S. to comply with the wishes of a power hungry and merciless dictator. When the smoke has finally cleared we may discover that Erdogan himself has engineered the coup as an excuse for a final crackdown on the opposition and to solidify his autocratic rule.

Afghan Turk schools gained great success at university exam

Holding a press conference in Kabul, officials from Afghan Turk schools stated that 30 students studying at those schools were ranked on top 100 at the exam and granted right to enter best universities.

Hizmet movement sticks to principles, AK Party transformed by the state

Holding ia press conference in light of the recent row between the government and the Hizmet movement on Wednesday, Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) President Mustafa Yeşil asdi the Hizmet movement has not changed its principles in the last half century but the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has been transformed by the state and lost its reformist nature.

Virginia delegation teams up with Turkish NGO, delivers aid to Syrians

A delegation from the US state of Virginia was in the working class neighborhood of Umraniye in İstanbul on Monday, delivering food and blankets to Syrian families with the help of the charities Kimse Yok Mu and Embrace Relief.

Turkey sees unprecedented pressure on media since Dec. 14 operation

Monday marks the first anniversary of a government-backed operation against prominent media groups in the country that resulted in the detention of dozens of individuals, mostly high ranked media personnel, and ever since that day pressure on critical journalists and news outlets has skyrocketed in the country, leading to the take-over and even closure of many media outlets and the incarceration of many journalists.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

A Symphony of Compassion

Turkey-Japan Media Forum kicks off in İstanbul

Lord Mitchell pays a visit to Turkish School

Fethullah Gulen: Violence can not be a remedy for violence

Row between Turkish government and Gulen Movement takes new twist

The intra-Turkish debate on the Mavi Marmara

‘Parallel state’ and ‘theft of national will’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News