Government allegedly plots to blame Bingöl attacks on Hizmet movement

Bingöl provincial police chief Atalay Ürker was reportedly the target of the attack. (Photo: DHA)
Bingöl provincial police chief Atalay Ürker was reportedly the target of the attack. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: October 16, 2014

Twitter user @fuatavni has claimed the government has launched a plan to blame an attack in which two police officers were killed on Oct. 9 in Bingöl on the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

A Twitter user known by the pseudonym of Fuat Avni — a whistleblower who says he is among President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s inner circle — wrote on Tuesday, “[National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan] Fidan’s team at MİT is preparing to secretly place weapons in houses affiliated with Hizmet so they can say they seized weapons at the movement’s houses.”

Bingöl Police Chief Atalay Ürker, Deputy Police Chief Atıf Şahin and Hüseyin Hatipoğlu, a police officer charged with protecting them, came under fire while inspecting shops damaged in protests that swept through Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish southeastern region last week. Şahin and Hatipoğlu were killed in the attack while Ürker was seriously wounded and remains in hospital.

Another tweet posted on Monday night said: “First [the government] banished the police officers to Bingöl on charges of being linked to the parallel state. Then they killed them and claimed it was the movement who killed them.”

In a subsequent tweet, Avni claimed the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) has also gone to great lengths to place blame on the movement regarding the unsolved murders and lawlessness.

“In time, the KCK will claim that Gülen is responsible for every single clandestine organization within the state,” Fuat Avni posted.

Fuat Avni’s identity is unknown and has prompted wide speculation, but the account has previously revealed numerous details that would appear to indicate that the user is close to or inside the government and the account has attracted a large following. Moreover, an armed wing of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), the People’s Defense Forces (HPG), released a statement denying any link to the Bingöl attack. The HPG stated the group never gave any orders to attack state forces or any other groups, adding, “The violent actions, primarily the Bingöl incident, are local; and we, as the HPG, have nothing to do with them.”

Meanwhile, eight people were detained in the central province of Kayseri on Saturday over their suspected involvement in the Bingöl attack. Seven of them were later released after questioning at the police station early on Sunday. The court also issued a publication ban on the issue for the sake of the ongoing investigation. But many public press organizations criticized the ban, claiming that the real aim behind the decision is to conceal the reality from the public.

Şenyuva Family applied İHD to find Erhan Şenyuva’s body

The family of assailant Erhan Şenyuva — whose body went missing after he was killed in a police operation following a deadly attack on a police team in Bingöl last week — filed a request on Wednesday to Turkey’s Human Rights Association (İHD) to find Şenyuva’s body.

News reports said four people believed to be assailants in the attack were killed in a shootout with the police after they ignored a warning to stop their car near the district of Genç, nearly two hours after the attack in the Bingöl city center. However, the body of one of the assailants, 36-year-old Şenyuva, has been missing since the incident, according to his family.

According to a statement released by the İHD early on Wednesday, the family of Şenyuva filed a request to the association, saying; “ Şenyuva’s body was not at the institution of forensic medicine, although the Ayranlı gendarmerie station command stated that he was killed in a shootout.”

There is still confusion as to the number of those killed in the car, with Interior Minister Efkan Ala later saying the number of “terrorists” killed was five, implying that the men in the car were terrorists from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).

Source: Today's Zaman , October 15, 2014


Related News

A women – Author, Reporter And Lawyer – Faces 15 Years In Jail For Her Tweets

An author, lawyer and journalist who made a career and a name for herself from years of working as a court reporter who chased high-profile legal cases has become a victim of Turkish government’s massive crackdown on freedom of press in Turkey.

Opposition CHP to take Gül-approved dershane law to Constitutional Court

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) is preparing to take a controversial law closing Turkey’s dershanes, or private preparatory schools, to the Constitutional Court, the party said a day after President Abdullah Gül signed the bill into law on Wednesday.

Erdoğan distorts Gülen’s NYT op-ed, says it is about Bank Asya operation

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has presented a distorted interpretation of an op-ed written by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen that was published in The New York Times, claiming the op-ed is about the takeover of the board of Islamic lender Bank Asya by Turkey’s banking watchdog.

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

Gülen offers more explanations of his views on continuing slander

“In a democratic order, if you are not allowed to express your views, then even the minimal requirements of being a democracy are not fulfilled. Imposing a type of rule with reference to religious notions will have serious political and legal repercussions,” Fethullah Gülen said.

Turkey cooperating with Israel to help Gaza

Diplomatic sources confirmed that an official from the Turkish Red Crescent went to Israel to coordinate humanitarian aid to be sent to Gaza. “There is no other way to provide aid to Gaza,” said the sources on Thursday. Dismissing claims that the Turkish official will be negotiating a cease-fire between Israel and Gaza, sources said Turkey is only in contact with the officials from Hamas and the US regarding the Palestinian territory.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan now targets foreign countries for granting asylum to critics

Turkey targets Gulen schools in Africa

Muslims, Jews start new tradition in Forest Hills

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Turkish volunteers reach out to orphans in Nairobi

Gülen fine after being briefly hospitalized for arrhythmia

Beacons of hope in Germany

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News