Albanian Ministry of Interior Violated Law in Trying to Deport Turkish National Selami Simsek


Date posted: March 26, 2021

Alice Taylor

The Tirana Administrative Court of Appeal has concluded that the Ministry of the Interior acted illegally and bypassed UNHRC recommendations in its attempts to expel Turkish citizen, Selami Simsek.

The Ministry had rejected his asylum and citizenship application but decided to keep it “hidden” for some months. He had been arrested at the airport alongside Harun Celik and were both traveling with fake identity documents.

Albania deported Celik despite his calls for asylum.

Selami was sentenced to 18 months in prison by the Tirana Court but benefitted from a one-third reduction in his sentence. He was released on 9 March 2020 and was then escorted to the Border and Migration Directorate in Lapraka where he applied for asylum. His application was rejected but not formalized to him or his lawyer for several months.

In September 2020, his application was denied in a decision that was opposed by the Albanian Helsinki Committee. The decision was upheld by the Administrative Court of the First Instance in Tirana but Simsek appealed.

The Court of Appeals concluded that the facts and information provided in the asylum application were not verified and no steps were taken to do so. It also found that the UNHCR recommendation was not mentioned and the decision to reject the asylum application was not communicated to the plaintiff.

In January 2020, the UNCR sent an official request to the Albanian government to not deport Simsek while his trial was still pending.

The Directorate of Asylum and Citizenship assessed that the request didn’t meet the criteria for recognition of asylum in Albania as they said there was no evidence of persecution or serious violations against him or his family by the Turkish state. But as per the Appeals Court, there should have been further investigations and verifications to determine any risks. This did not happen.

They added that the Court of the First Instance only carried out three of the 12 it should have performed to complete its administrative procedure. Furthermore, there were “flagrant violations” of the law on Asylum in the Republic of Albania.

The Appeals Court concluded that his asylum application was not abusive.

Both Simsek and Celik are alleged “Gulenists”.

Turkey accuses the Gulen Movement of being behind the failed coup in July 2016 that left hundreds of victims, but Gulen denies all allegations from his self-imposed exile in the United States.

President Recep Tayying Erdogan has led a crackdown on people and institutions affiliated with the movement, and declared it a terrorist organization. Tens of thousands of academics, journalists, teachers, activists, and workers in the civil service considered to be linked to the movement have suffered in different ways.

In January last year, the EU criticized the government after the deportation of Harun Celik, who had asked for political asylum.

The Albanian Ombudsman said the government had violated several laws in the process.

The United Nations said that Albania is complicit in extraterritorial abductions and forced disappearances of Turkish nationals.

Source: Exit News , March 26, 2021


Related News

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links shortly after surgery

A woman in the southern Turkish province of Antalya who underwent surgery a month ago has been arrested on terrorism charges due to her alleged links to the Gülen movement.

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

Calls for reform, landmark court rulings, and rising political pressure put the European Convention on Human Rights at a crossroads across the continent. Key Points The European human rights landscape is facing a period of exceptional turbulence, with recent decisions and debates placing the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and its overseeing court at […]

Crackdown in Turkey felt in Capital Region

Volunteers at the Turkish Cultural Center of Albany offered Turkish language and cooking classes, invited the public to Ramadan friendship dinners and sought to build a bridge between East and West by leading a dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims. They were research scientists, professors, graduate students, state employees and restaurant owners.

Lawyer of arrested officers detained for Gülen movement propaganda

Lawyer Kemal Uçar, known for his critical statements concerning July 15, 2016 coup attempt cases, has been detained as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, Milliyet daily reported. Uçar used to share messages on social media that the ByLock mobile phone app cannot be used as evidence to arrest people. Uçar said on a TV program that 52 of 58 casings found in Taksim on the coup night were not fired by soldiers according to an official report.

Pakistan admits they secretly deported Turkish family wanted by Erdogan govt

The Pakistan government on Tuesday admitted before the Lahore High Court that it had secretly deported a Turkish family wanted by the Erdogan government, in violation of the court’s order.

21 NGO’s Address President to Grant Refugee Status to Mustafa Emre Çabuk in Georgia

21 Georgian NGOs have recently signed a joint statement addressing the President of Georgia, with a request to grant refugee status to Mustafa Emre Çabuk and his family, with the statement being published on Georgian Young Lawyer’s Association website.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey further from EU accession than in 2007, Swoboda says

Prof. Nanda: Extraditing Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would erode the rule of law

Is man living in Pennsylvania responsible for Turkey coup attempt?

Rumi Forum chooses solutions to problems for essay contest

Businessmen voice frustration over smear campaign against Hizmet

Talking with the “Religious Terrorist” that Turkey Wants Trump to Extradite

Erdoğan and Gülen: The Marriage of Convenience

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News