Gülen movement reiterates principles, underlines transparency in statement


Date posted: November 30, 2018

The faith-based network inspired by self-exiled Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, known as Hizmet (service) or more commonly the Gülen movement, issued a statement on Tuesday reiterating its principles while emphasizing transparency.

The statement was issued by the Alliance for Shared Values (AfSV), the official representative of the movement’s relations with the media in the United States.

The statement listed legality, morality, transparency, accountability, balance between local and general (global), representativeness and pluralist participation as the main aims of the movement, which was born in Turkey half a decade ago but is now active in almost all parts of the world, mainly through education and interfaith dialogue activities.

AfSV stated that the Hizmet movement is continuing its work to build peace and dialogue abroad despite one of the most brutal purges its followers face in today’s Turkey.

Turkey’s regime considers the movement to be a terrorist organization and holds it responsible for a failed coup on July 15, 2016. There has been massive persecution of its real and perceived sympathizers in Turkey.

Against such a backdrop and among calls for more transparency regarding the operation of the movement, especially from the intelligentsia in the Western world, AfSv stated on Tuesday that any Hizmet activities must be within legal and moral limits without compromise.

The statement also said decision makers and executives within Hizmet must be transparent and held accountable. However, AfSV did not specify who these decision makers are or provide their titles.

The statement called for specific and limited terms for all decision-making roles within the movement.

AfSV also reiterated that Hizmet followers are bound by the laws and rules of the countries in which they reside.

The Hizmet movement has often been criticized for not being transparent enough, especially within Turkey’s state bureaucracy. However, Turkey has been prosecuting people who are even not officially linked to the movement in addition to those who served within Hizmet-affiliated institutions inside and outside Turkey.

Source: Turkish Minute , November 28, 2018


Related News

Arrest of Kanter’s father underscores deepening tensions between U.S., Turkey

Turkey’s ability to stop Kanter from living in the U.S. or playing in the NBA is basically non-existent. The U.S. won’t allow Turkey to extradite him. But Erdoğan’s government has an ulterior motive in attempting to intimidate Kanter. “The point of this exercise is to let Turks around the world know that none of them are safe, that they should not speak out against the government,” Joshua Landis said.

You are free to touch Hizmet movement

There are other journalists, very secular journalists who have denounced Fethullah Gülen and his movement, defined him as a CIA agent or a secret Christian, all sorts of things, but they have never been imprisoned.

Kimse Yok Mu flies back 210 Somali students

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, active in 110 countries worldwide, has brought back its 210 Somali students who were on vacation in their country. The students studying at various high schools and universities across Turkey were happy to be back.

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

Fethullah Gülen’s statement regarding the family that drowned in the Meric (Evros) River

With tremendous sadness, I have learned that a mother and her two children lost their lives in the Meriç (Evros) River while fleeing Turkey in order to escape persecution by tyrants in their home country.

Outgoing chairman proudly admits Istanbul Bar Association refused to serve Gülen followers

The Istanbul Bar Association has turned down sympathizers of the Gülen movement who requested lawyers for their hearings in the post-coup trials, the outgoing president Ümit Kocasakal said on Saturday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools in Thailand celebrate 17th commencement

Muslim Leader Condemns Synagogue Killings

Applicants affiliated with CHP, Hizmet movement face discrimination

Emotional farewell for Turkish teachers

Paris attacks, New Turkey and oppressing Hizmet

Rumi Forum Pakistan for fostering intercultural dialogue

Switzerland: Number of Turkish asylum-seekers more than doubles

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News