Bosnians Protest at Student’s Arrest in Turkish Crackdown


Date posted: June 6, 2018

Relatives, friends and neighbours of Selmir Masetovic, arrested in Turkey because of alleged links to the Gulenist movement, took to the streets of his hometown Gradacac to call for his release.

Around 100 Bosnians gathered on Monday in the town of Gradacac to protest about Turkey’s arrest of Selmir Masetovic, including the detained student’s relatives, friends, neighbours and the local mayor.

Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen, who Ankara believes was behind the failed coup in the country in July 2016.

“My son Selmir is not a ‘Gulenist’,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying by IBNA.

“At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” he added.

Masetovic said on Monday that his son has received legal assistance in Turkey and thanked a Bosnian businessman, who wants to remain anonymous, for agreeing to finance the student’s defence, but complained of a lack of information about the case.


Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen. “At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying.


On Tuesday however, he told regional TV station N1 that he has now been in contact with his son by telephone.

“It is most important that we have come into contact, it is good that he is healthy,” he told N1.

He explained that his son told him that an investigation is ongoing, that he has denied any involvement in the alleged crime, and that he was not allowed to make a phone call earlier.

The mayor of Gradacac, Edis Dervisagic, visited the Masetovic family before attending Monday’s protest.

Dervisagic told media that the municipal board was convened last week and discussed ways of assisting the family.

“The municipality must find a way to help our fellow citizen Selmir Masetovic and his family. We will always be in contact with them,” Mayor Dervisagic was quoted as saying.

According to the prosecutor’s office in Usak, Masetovic was using Bylock, an encrypted messaging application which the Turkish authorities claim is utilised by Gulenists for secret conversations.

Having and using the Bylock app has been accepted by Turkish courts as evidence of being a member of Gulen’s movement. Ankara describes the movement as the ‘Fetullah Terrorist Organisaton’ or F..O.

Masetovic was among several foreign students in Turkey who were arrested.

Turkey’s pro-government Daily Sabah reported on May 28 that prosecutors believe that Gulen movement members “tricked students into buying cellphone accounts and gave them to their own members, apparently in a bid to avoid detection amid the escalated crackdown on the group after the July 15, 2016 coup attempt”.

“Fourteen students from various countries had two phone numbers each, and each one was used by the group’s members all across the country, according to prosecutors,” the newspaper said.

Gulen has denied any links to the failed coup and has asked an international commission to investigate the attempted overthrow of the government.

As well as the protesters in Gradacac on Monday, Bosnian opposition parties, NGOs and civil rights groups have also demanded that Masetovic be freed.


NOTE: This article was updated on June 5, 2018 to add that Masetovic has now been in telephone contact with his son.

 

Source: Balkan Insight , June 5, 2018


Related News

Halki, pope, patriarch and Gülen

The way Turkey’s chief political Islamist and new president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has approached the reopening of the Halki seminary, a school that had trained Eastern Orthodox clergy for the Patriarchate for more than a century until it was forcibly shut down in 1971, represents a fundamental flaw in the thinking of so-called Islamists, who place more emphasis on symbolism than substance and like very much to employ divisive and hateful discourse as opposed to reaching out and embracing different faiths and cultures.

Kemalo-Islamists versus civil society and Hizmet

İHSAN YILMAZ When summarizing the recent Cabinet meeting to correspondents, the speaker of the Cabinet, Bülent Arınç, referred to a religious concept, “fitnah” (sedition). He was implying that the Hizmet movement was engaged in an illegitimate psychological media campaign against his government. He even a recited a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) on fitnah […]

Turkish schools in Azerbaijan join SOCAR-financed int’l education complex

Turkish schools are among leading educational institutions that have joined an international educational complex financed by State Oil Company of the Azerbaijani Republic (SOCAR), a statement from the Azerbaijani oil giant said on Wednesday.

Erdoğan’s Baku visit will not close Hizmet schools

Heydar Aliyev, an experienced and far-sighted politician, always supported these schools and we cannot say that the decisions to open the doors of the country to these schools was of no benefit. The schools have for years maintained the trust of the government because they are integrated with Azerbaijani society and its values. To think that the schools opened with blessings of Heydar Aliyev will be shut down by his son İlham Aliyev would be naïve.

Lawyer of arrested officers detained for Gülen movement propaganda

Lawyer Kemal Uçar, known for his critical statements concerning July 15, 2016 coup attempt cases, has been detained as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, Milliyet daily reported. Uçar used to share messages on social media that the ByLock mobile phone app cannot be used as evidence to arrest people. Uçar said on a TV program that 52 of 58 casings found in Taksim on the coup night were not fired by soldiers according to an official report.

Fethullah Gülen says Turkey’s involvement in a war would bring mass destruction

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has warned against the dire consequences of Turkey’s possible involvement in a war in Syria or Iraq, saying Turkish authorities should avoid any action that may cause the Turkish people to experience sorrows similar to those of World War I.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s game plan for Hizmet

Ethio-Turkish Schools receive “Certificate of Appreciation’ from African Union

Filling in for Missing Pieces: Peacebuilding Through Education

Teacher who lost sanity under detention remains jail despite doctors’ reports

‘Living Together’ under capital punishment

Turkey targets Gulen schools in Africa

Nigeria: When Hearts Converged Through the Language Festival

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News