Enes Kanter calls Turkey’s Erdoğan ‘Hitler of our century’ after airport detainment

Thunder center Enes Kanter speaks about his detention at a Romanian airport at press conference on Monday in New York. Photograph: Bebeto Matthews/AP
Thunder center Enes Kanter speaks about his detention at a Romanian airport at press conference on Monday in New York. Photograph: Bebeto Matthews/AP


Date posted: May 23, 2017

Bryan Armen Graham

Oklahoma City Thunder center Enes Kanter expressed his desire to become a US citizen and underscored a previous claim that Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is the “Hitler of our century” on Monday in New York in his first comments since his detainment at a Romanian airport over the weekend.

“I’m open for adoption,” Kanter said on Monday in a news conference at the midtown Manhattan headquarters of the National Basketball Players Association. “My next move is to just become an American citizen.”

The six-year NBA veteran, who has become a high-profile critic of Erdoğan, said his political views prompted the Turkish government to invalidate his passport. He said the first sign of trouble came early on Saturday morning in Jakarta, where he was hosting a basketball clinic.

“My manager knocked on my door around 2.30am and said we need to talk,” Kanter said. “He said the secret service of Indonesia and army is looking for you. Turkish government called them and said he’s a dangerous man, we need to talk to him.”

Kanter, who turned 25 on Saturday, then “kind of escaped the country” on a flight to Singapore, followed by a brief layover in Frankfurt before arriving at Bucharest’s Henri Coanda airport on Saturday at about 1pm, where Romanian border police informed him that his passport had been canceled by Turkish authorities.

A senior government official at the Turkish embassy did not respond to a request from the Guardian for comment.

“It was of course scary because there was a chance they might send me back to Turkey,” Kanter said. “And if they sent me back to Turkey, there’s a chance you guys wouldn’t have heard a word from me the second day.”

Kanter credited the Department of Homeland Security and lawyers for the Thunder and the NBPA for helping broker his return to the US on a flight from London to New York later on Saturday.

The 6ft 10in center said he’s chosen to speak out against Erdoğan, whom he called a “terrible man” and the “Hitler of our century”, after contemplating his visibility as one of Turkey’s most famous professional athletes.

“I’m not a journalist, I’m a basketball player,” Kanter said. “But right now, my family can’t even go out to eat. My brother told me my dad went to the supermarket and they spit on his face. I try to be the voice of those innocent people. I believe whatever it takes is important for those kids and our future. Because those are going to be the kids that make the changes.”

He told reporters that he has refrained from speaking to his parents in Turkey for more than a year over fears their phones have been tapped by the government. “As soon as they are in contact with me, they’d put them in jail,” he said.

He also admitted to receiving death threats on a daily basis, mostly over social media. “Actually, I’ve received two of them today,” Kanter said.

Kanter’s detainment was first made known after he posted a video to Twitter on Saturday morning saying that police officers have “been holding us here for hours” upon his arrival in Bucharest.

He expressed his belief during Monday’s 25-minute remarks that the worldwide dissemination of the message aided his escape. Kanter, who received his green card last year, described himself as “countryless” and hopes the US government will consider accelerating his path to citizenship.

Last year, Kanter revealed he received death threats in response to his support of exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, Erdoğan’s political rival. The posts, written in Turkish, included phrases such as “You will die soon” beside ominous images of weapons and nooses.

Kanter spoke out against Erdoğan’s government in March 2016 after a terrorist bombing in Ankara that killed 37 people and injured more than 100, criticizing the country’s obstruction of broadcast media and access to social media.

“There are thousands of people getting kidnapped, put into jail, getting tortured or raped. I stand for what I believe,” he said on Monday. “I hope the whole world is watching this, human rights groups and the European Union. I want people to do something about it.”

Last week, Erdoğan’s visit to the White House was marked by a clash between his security detail and protesters outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence. Nine people were hurt and two arrests were made.

Previously, Kanter, who was tabbed with the No3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, said he was left off Turkey’s national team for EuroBasket 2015 due to his political beliefs, a claim denied by national team coach, Ergin Ataman.

Kanter averaged 14.3 points and 6.7 rebounds in 72 games this season with the Thunder, who lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Houston Rockets.

Source: The Guardian , May 22, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gülen on Islam, democracy and freedom of speech

Publishing a book in 2009 about Francis of Assisi’s peaceful encounter with Egypt’s Sultan Malik al-Kamil during the Fifth Crusade led me to meet a lot of people with an interest in improving interreligious relations. Among them were a number of Turkish immigrants who are followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. I observed that through a network of private schools, foundations and media organizations, they have worked very hard to improve Muslim-Christian relations.

Cyber attacks on news websites threaten freedom of press, expression

Starting mid-February, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has been severely penalizing a number of news TV channels known for their anti-government broadcasts. Those channels, which include Samanyolu Haber TV and Bugün TV, were mostly penalized on the grounds that their programs were biased. The channels have been broadcasting reports about claims of corruption and bribery that have implicated some government members.

Gulen: Issuance of arrest warrant changes nothing about my views

The issuance of an arrest warrant from a Turkish court changes nothing about my status or my views. I have repeatedly condemned the coup attempt in Turkey and denied any knowledge or involvement. It is well-documented the Turkish court system is without judicial independence, so this warrant is yet another example of President Erdogan’s drive authoritarianism and away from democracy.

Soul searching inside the Gülen movement

The U.S. is also treading very carefully on the Gülen issue. The movement has been Turkey’s top lobbyist on Capitol Hill for a decade.

Turkey requests extradition of Fethullah Gülen but not for coup attempt, says US

The US has confirmed it has received a formal extradition request from Ankara for the Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, but not over the July coup attempt the Turkish authorities has accused Gülen of orchestrating.

Victims of forced disappearance in Turkey

On this ‘International day of the victims of enforced disappearances’ (August 30), let’s raise our voices for the missing people of Turkey. In the aftermath of the coup attempt last year, at least thirteen people have been abducted allegedly by elements linked to the Turkish government as part of an intimidation campaign targeting critics and opponents of Turkey’s president.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey, caliphate and Erdoğan

Giuliani pressed Trump to eject Muslim cleric from U.S., a top priority of Turkish president, former officials say

A Case Study In How Lobbyists For Turkish Government Manipulate The American Media on Gulen Issue

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)

Hate speech and respect for the sacred

In new incursion, Turkey orchestrates rushed extraditions from Kosovo

Thunder center Enes Kanter sure looks tiny compared to the world’s tallest man

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News