Third suspicious disappearance in a week: Teacher dismissed in post-coup crackdown not seen for 14 days


Date posted: April 19, 2017

Cengiz Usta, a 44-year-old teacher who was dismissed from his post as part of the Turkish government’s post-coup purge of state-institutions, has been missing since Apr 4, joining two other education professionals who are claimed to have been abducted in the same week.

The mystery all three have in common in their profiles is that they all have lost their jobs amid a government crackdown against dissidents in the aftermath of the July 15 coup attempt.

Usta was a teacher at Cumhuriyet Primary School in Izmir’s Torbali district until he was sacked by a State of Emergency decree on Sept 1, 2016.

“My brother left his daughter at home and went out to pay elevator maintenance fee. He has not come back home yet. A witness claims that my brother was forced into a car by two men on Abdulkadir Street. This was recorded in police records as well,” the teacher’s elder brother Selim Usta told local media. “His two children and wife are devastated,” Selim added.

On Apr 8, an Ankara woman named Ülkü Çapan claimed in a series of tweets that her husband Turgut Çapan, a former employee of Turgut Özal University, which was shut down by the government, was abducted on Mar 31. While Ülkü’s tweets sparked huge attention on social media, she also released a video clip in which she explained the story in detail. She said a friend of her husband dropped by her home on Apr 1 to say that Turgut had been abducted.

Only a day after Turgut’s alleged abduction, Önder Asan, a philosophy teacher who was left jobless after the government shut down his school as part of its post-coup operations, went missing on Apr 1, according to his wife Fatma Asan. Fatma also claimed that Turgut had been seen at the same apartment a day before her husband Önder visited it.

While the actual reasons for the alleged abduction of those three are yet to be known, earlier tips submitted to Turkey Purge as well as a number of other media articles reported on several mysterious incidents of abduction involving followers of the Gulen movement or others from groups critical of the Turkish government.

Left-wing Turkish newspaper Evrensel reported on Jan. 10 that Zeynep Tunçel, a reader and distributor, was abducted and beaten by a group of unidentified people who accused her of resisting the government.

The government pinned the blame for the July 15 coup attempt on the Gulen movement and has arrested 47,000 people over links to the group. Hundreds of schools and dormitories were shuttered over same charges –among them Turgut Ozal University–, more than 134,000 people have lost their jobs including tens of thousands of teachers and academics.

Source: Turkey Purge , April 19, 2017


Related News

Old reflexes of media against faith will rise again

The author says his book offers documents and detailed data on smear campaigns against religious people, including publications such as “Haliç’te Yaşayan Simonlar” (Simons in the Golden Horn) by Hanefi Avcı, “İmamın Ordusu” (The Imam’s Army) by Ahmet Şık, news portal Odatv and other websites used as tools in such smear campaigns. 11 December 2011, […]

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

The signatory states and their courts need to decide where their loyalty lies: With the authoritarian Erdogan government or with the human rights and judicial guarantees solemnly enshrined in their respective constitutions?

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

EU calls on Turkey to Investigate abduction cases targeting Gülen Movement

The European Union (EU) on Thursday said it was closely following developments in Turkey including the abductions of people from the Gülen movement, reminding Ankara of its responsibility to investigate these reported cases.

Decision to build road on school grounds nonsensical, say parents

Following the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and Güngören Municipality’s decision to build a road within the courtyard of a private school affiliated with the Hizmet movement this week, the school management made a statement on Friday, saying that the parents of students at the school find the decision nonsensical.

Romania denies extradition request for Turkish teacher over Gülen links

A Romanian judge on Wednesday rejected a Turkish request for the extradition of a 24-year-old teacher arrested by police and sought by the authorities in Ankara over links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Belgium firm to sue Turkey over Gülen-linked assets

M. Fethullah Gülen: educator, mystic, peacebuilder

We make peace with ourselves as we integrate with the world

Zaman daily launches news portal in Kurdish language

Int’l symposium in Washington D.C. to discuss Hizmet’s contribution to world peace

An Indian professor’s reflections on Erdogan’s visit to India, crackdown on Gulen movement

Zaman Stanizai on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News