Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt


Date posted: April 10, 2017

Fethullah Gülen

I have learned with grief about the horrific terrorist attack against two Coptic churches in Egypt during a Palm Sunday mass, killing at least 43 worshipers and police officers. I vehemently condemn this atrocity against the Coptic Christian community.

ISIS reportedly claimed responsibility for this inhuman attack. Despite their name and their claims, the perpetrators of such brutality should be viewed simply as terrorists who deny human beings their lives and dignity. Every human being is created equal by God Almighty and any form of attack or persecution of individuals based on religious, ethnic or other differences is an act that contradicts the principles of the Qur’an and the tradition of our Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be upon Him).

I am confident that, like all countries around the world, the unity of the Egyptian nation is stronger than despicable terrorist attacks that take aim at the country’s security and stability, and seek to destroy its society and the people who throughout history have strived to achieve the highest degrees of tolerance, love and brotherhood. Despite the immensity of these painful events that took place in Egypt, it will not diminish the cohesion of the Egyptian people and will lead the country to steadfastly address this dark hatred in order to eliminate its roots.

I am deeply saddened that an act of brutality occurred in a place of worship and mourn the loss of innocent community members. I extend my deepest condolences to the families of the deceased, to the Coptic Christian community and to the people of Egypt. I pray to God to grant patience and perseverance to the relatives of those who lost their lives and heal the wounds of the injured.

 

Source: Alliance for Shared Values , April 10, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gulen — His Vision, Our Response

A Muslim religious leader, Fehullah Gulen, is daily in the news, as Turkish president Erdogan accuses him of plotting the recent coup, calling him a terrorist. We are so used to Muslim clerics being or being considered terrorists that we give the matter little thought.

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

In an exclusive interview with Al Arabiya News Channel, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen said he was confident that the United States will not extradite him. “The United States has a reputation in the world as a country that upholds the rule of law. So I trust they will follow the proper procedures,” Gulen told Al Arabiya’s New York Bureau Chief Talal al-Haj.

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned an attack on a French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a series of shootings in Paris suburbs last week, extending condolences to families of the victims.

Fethullah Gulen’s stance on democracy 1994-2016

Mr. Gulen has reiterated his clear stance on democracy, in the wake of the coup attempt in Turkey. Here is what he had said back in June 1994: “I believe, from now on, both in Turkey and in the rest of the world, there will we no going back from democracy.”

From Poconos retreat, Muslim cleric Gulen: ‘We will oblige’ if extradited for Turkish coup

“If there is any possibility of a forceful extradition, of course we will oblige,” he added. “But I’m not worried about that. I’m not worried that the U.S. government will give credit to claims that Erdogan is making. I will not beg anybody. I have enjoyed my freedom here, I will leave without grudges in my heart.”

Turkish coup attempt: who is Fethullah Gülen?

The Turkish government, including President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has pointed the finger at Fethullah Gülen – also known as leader of the Hizmet movement – as the mastermind behind Friday’s attempted coup by the country’s military. But who is Gülen? We take a look at the Islamic cleric and how he has affected Erdoğan’s presidency

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet’s focus is on serving humanity, not only promoting Turkish

Turkey fosters strong educational ties with Iraqi Kurds

An Interfaith Trip to Turkey: A Lesson in History

Erdoğan’s hate speech moves to US

Gülen says never considered establishing political party

Real democrats cannot politicize Islam

Approval rate of Turkish schools abroad at 78 percent

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News