Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison


Date posted: February 24, 2017

Yavuz Bölek, a former police chief who was dismissed from his job following corruption probes implicating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has colorectal cancer and will soon be paralyzed if he is not given medical attention.

His requests for treatment have been ignored.

“My husband is slowly dying in prison for a crime he did not commit. For chemotherapy, the prison administration allows him to go to a hospital, which is almost four hours from the prison. He is in need of nursing, but sometimes they do not even give him a simple aspirin,” wife Nurgül Bölek told Turkey Purge.

She also added that her husband cannot even stand on his feet during visitation hours at the prison.

The dismissed officer is now among hundreds of thousands of people who find themselves facing tremendous difficulties after the government started a desperate crackdown on public servants in the aftermath of a July 15 coup attempt.

Bölek was initially detained on Sept. 29, 2014 in a predawn operation in Antalya, which prosecutors said was launched following allegations of spying and illegal wiretapping between 2009-2013. After staying in custody for three days, he and six of his colleagues were sent to jail. However; on Oct. 7, 2016, a judge ruled for his release pending trial.

As part of the same investigation, Bölek was dismissed from his job on Jan. 9, 2015.

On March 31, 2015, the 3rd Antalya High Criminal Court launched a separate investigation and issued a detention warrant for Bölek over alleged spying and illegal wiretapping activities. However, Bölek refused to surrender because he believed that the operation was an act of revenge by the government after a corruption investigation that became public on Dec. 17, 2013 implicated dozens of people, including businessmen, senior bureaucrats and the sons of three now-former ministers of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government.

After living on the run for almost a year, Bölek was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in May 2016 and received chemotherapy at an Antalya hospital. Despite providing the court with doctor’s reports showing his deteriorating condition, he was arrested by a court on Aug. 25, 2016 and sent to an İzmir prison. According to his family, because of unprecedented pressure in the prison, the cancer quickly advanced in his body and Bölek had a stroke and underwent brain surgery.

Days after the operation, despite his doctor’s red alert, he was re-sent to prison where he had another stroke. Despite his aggravated health conditions and several doctor’s reports, Bölek is still being kept in an İzmir prison.


Related News

Post-coup purge victim says he may never be a father due to torture in prison

“I was kept naked in the cold. I was beaten. Pressure was applied to my genital area. The pain didn’t stop for months. I am a bachelor, and I may never be a father,” he said.


Related Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOgS4q-cn8

 

Source: Turkish Minute , February 24, 2017


Related News

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

In rare interview: Fethullah Gulen rebukes Turkish regime

“The master” suggested that democracy is the best option for societies characterized by diversity and heterogeneity clarifying that those features apply to both Egypt and Turkey as they house many segments of Muslims and Christians as well as atheists. Hence, Gulen proposes that the administration system must be tolerant to not create hostilities, which have become common in Turkey.

64-year-old bedridden woman in 17th month of her imprisonment on “terror” charges

Fatma Yurt, a 64-year-old Turkish woman who is confined to bed, is in the 17th month of her imprisonment over alleged links to the Gulen group, which the government of accused of masterminding a coup attempt in July 2016.

Boat carrying Turkish asylum seekers capsizes off Greece, killing 3 children and 3 others

At least 6 people, including 3 children, were killed after a boat carrying Turkish asylum seekers capsized in the Aegean Sea on Sunday.

Gülen’s lawyer likens hate campaign against his client to Nazi era

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s attorney Nurullah Albayrak said the smear campaign targeting his client to marginalize him has peaked, stressing that the hate speech Gülen has been subjected to for months is comparable to Nazi era discriminatory practices.

The gov’t in Turkey is committing genocide

Fundamental human rights and freedoms have been suspended in Turkey, people’s right to work, freedom of the press, the right to property ownership, the right to a defense in a court of law, the right to travel and the right to a fair trial have all been annulled while the principle of presumption of innocence has been totally disregarded. People have been subjected to collective punishment through the practice of “enemy law.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

FM Davutoğlu says Turkish schools abroad play important representative role

Hizmet and self-criticism

Does Erdogan want to be Putin or sultan?

US court gives Gülen 21 days to present his defense

Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt

The last of the ‘LASTmen’ and the new constitution

Afghan official lauds Turkey’s education drive

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News