WikiLeaks reveals emails from the son-in-law of President Erdogan, ‘proving his connection to ISIS operation smuggling oil into Turkey’

More than 57,000 personal emails from the account of Turkey's Minister of Oil Berat Albayrak have been made public by WikiLeaks.
More than 57,000 personal emails from the account of Turkey's Minister of Oil Berat Albayrak have been made public by WikiLeaks.


Date posted: December 7, 2016

Hannah Al-Othman

  • WikiLeaks has released a tranche of personal emails from the account of Turkey’s Minister of Oil Berat Albayrak
  • The emails span a six-year period from 2000 to 2016 and allegedly reveal his level of influence in the country’s political scene
  • The emails appear to have been obtained by Turkish hacktivist group Redhack 

WikiLeaks has released a tranche of more than 57,000 personal emails from the account of Turkey’s Minister of Oil Berat Albayrak.

Albayrak is the son-in-law of the country’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The emails span a six-year period from 2000 to 2016 and allegedly reveal his level of influence in the country’s political scene.

The emails appear to have been obtained by Turkish hacktivist group Redhack, and which threatened to make his communications public back in September.

The emails, which allegedly contain details of exchanges between Albayrak and the Turkish ‘ruling elite’ were briefly published earlier this year, before being taken down following a crackdown by the Turkish government.

WikiLeaks alleges that the emails reveal ‘Albayrak’s involvement in organisations such as Powertrans, the company implicated in Isis oil imports’.

The company has been implicated in oil imports from ISIS-controlled oil fields.

Turkey banned oil transportation by road or railway in or out of the country in more than five years ago, but with provision for limited exceptions such as meeting the needs of the military.

WikiLeaks claims that the Turkish government later gave Powertrans the monopoly on the transit of oil.

Julian Assange, WikiLeaks founder, said the emails had been published in response to the Turkish government’s silencing of detractors.

He said: ‘The people of Turkey need a free media and a free internet.

‘The government’s counter-coup efforts have gone well beyond their stated purpose of protecting the state from a second Gulenist coup attempt and are now primarily used to steal assets and eliminate critics.

‘The Turkish government continues to use force to jail journalists, shut down media and restrict internet access to its citizens, depriving them of their ability to access information about their situation including by banning WikiLeaks.

‘This consolidation around the power vertical of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan ultimately weakens Turkish institutionalism, leaving Turkey more susceptible to future coups by those in Erdoğan’s chain of command.’

Source: Daily Mail , December 6, 2016


Related News

Fate of Pak-Turk Schools: Erdogan, Jamaat-e-Islami-backed Maa’rif Foundation?

At the heart of the matter is the question of Maa’rif’s credentials to take over the schools instead of its Pakistani management. Turkey is least known for its standard of education. Moreover, the Erdogan-backed organisation is neither experienced in the education field nor apolitical. The organisation is already scared with allegation of child sexually abuse in Turkey.

İstanbul hosts dialogue leaders to discuss tolerance in education

MAHIR ZEYNALOV “What we are doing here is for the better future of our people, to tackle global threats and institute global peace,” said Rostislav Rybakov, head of the Institute of Oriental Studies, during a conference held in İstanbul on Monday to discuss tolerance and dialogue in education. The Dialogue Eurasia Platform (DEP) together with […]

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

There is a curious reluctance on the part of the Turkish government to carry out an in-depth investigation of the coup, but the blame has been put unequivocally on an erstwhile ally, Fethullah Gülen, a reclusive Turkish imam resident in Pennsylvania, and the cadres of his movement, which enabled Erdogan and the AKP to come to and hold power.

HRW report: No evidence to accuse Gülen movement of terrorism

The Human Rights Watch’s latest world report states that there is no evidence to prove the charges of “terrorism” held against the Gülent movement, which is inspired by the teachings of prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned an attack on a French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a series of shootings in Paris suburbs last week, extending condolences to families of the victims.

AK Party promises more despotism if it wins big in local polls

Since the Dec. 17 corruption and bribery probe, Prime Minister Erdoğan has threatened to order an “operation” against certain civil society organizations and business groups that have voiced demands for the prime minister and his government to be held accountable in the face of alleged irregularities.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Who is escalating tensions?

Powerful but reclusive Turkish cleric – BBC’s interview with Fethullah Gulen

I came to Nigeria with just a piece of luggage –Turkish International Colleges foundation coordinator

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences for Florida High School Shooting

Funeral prayer held for Turkish volunteer Zengindemir in Oklahoma City

US, Turkish charities hold blanket drive

Nine-year-old beats 25,000 others in Maths competition

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News