After 50 days, Turkish university director out of Malaysian jail with UN refugee card

Ismet Ozcelik (centre) and his son Suheyl Ozcelik are seen with lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Mohd Hasani (left) outside the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) building in Kuala Lumpur January 31, 2017. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
Ismet Ozcelik (centre) and his son Suheyl Ozcelik are seen with lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Mohd Hasani (left) outside the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) building in Kuala Lumpur January 31, 2017. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa


Date posted: January 31, 2017

A. Ruban

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 31 ― A visiting Turkish university director who had yet to be convicted of any crime was finally released from the Sungai Buloh Prison after being conferred refugee status today.

Ismet Ozcelik, 57, was incarcerated since his arrest on December 13, allegedly for preventing Immigration officers from performing their duties last month, a crime punisable with up to two years imprisonment or a fine, or both.

He had entered Malaysia on a regular social visit pass to catch up with his son who was working here as a teacher. But a sudden turn of events last month now means he now requires the protected status of a refugee, conferred by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), to move around until his trial is dispensed with.

“He could not be released earlier because the Magistrate’s Court had denied him bail after the Immigration Department cancelled his social visit pass.

“But now with the UNHCR card, he can be released and will only need to return to court on February 20 for mention as the UNHCR identification supersedes the cancellation of his visa,” Ismet’s lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Hasani told Malay Mail Online when contacted.

According to the lawyer, Ismet had been charged with a bailable offence, and had paid the bail on January 4.

Ismet was arrested last December 13 after he allegedly stopped some Immigration officers who were said to be dressed in plainclothes, from checking his passport at his son Suheyl’s house here.

Faizal said the officers had apparently tried to take away Ismet’s passport but was prevented from doing so with the help of Suheyl and three of his colleagues from the international school they work at.

When the police arrived, the Immigration officers told the police that they had been obstructed by the five from carrying out their public duties.

This resulted in the arrest of the five, who were later charged on December 23 under Section 353 of the Penal Code for using criminal force to deter a public servant from discharging his duty.

All of them were later released on bail except for Ismet despite this being a bailable offence, as the prosecution was of the view that he cannot be bailed, his lawyers said.

Faizal today claimed that the officers had acted as such after receiving a letter from the Turkish embassy that linked Ismet with the Gulen movement.

The Turkey-based movement claims to preach moderate Islam although some reports indicate that it is “terror organisation”.

“The Immigration officers had obviously acted hastily by arresting Ismet because in Malaysia, regardless of who you are, you will need to have a court order to arrest someone in such circumstances.

“In this case, the immigration officers did not obtain one,” Faizal said.

He added that Ismet was rushed to the Sungai Buloh hospital some 15 days ago after his condition deteriorated without the access to medications.

 

Source: The Malay Online , January 31, 2017


Related News

Turkish high-schooler commits suicide after father was dismissed under emergency rules

B.N.M., a freshman high school student killed herself allegedly after being bullied by classmates and lecturers over her teacher father’s dismissal from the profession due to his ties to the Gülen movement, on Oct. 24.

Scholars: Hizmet efforts to build schools will not stop

Taipei, Dec. 12 (CNA) Supporters of a civic movement inspired by Fethullah Gulen, one of the most important Muslim figures in Turkey, will not cease their efforts to build schools as long as there is a demand for such service around the world, according to a Turkish scholar dedicated to the movement. The Hizmet movement […]

Who was behind the Turkish Coup: Sufi Islamic Scholar Fathullah Gülen or the Regime itself?

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has bluntly blamed it on the Hizmet movement, Gülen’s initiative for intercultural and interfaith dialogue and education in the country expanding across the world today. But for many immensely impressed by Gülen’s global humanitarian, social and Islam-based peace activism, it remains an obscure question as to how the former ally of his country is now blamed for the coup.

Erdogan’s Lust For Power Is Destroying Turkey’s Democracy

During the past few months I interviewed scores of Turkish citizens who escaped from Turkey following the unsuccessful military coup, fearing for their lives. Many of them left their families behind. Although it has the potential of becoming a major player on the global stage, Turkey’s brilliant prospects are being squandered because of President Erdogan’s insatiable lust for power.

Pak-Turk schools: Parents urge government against transferring administration to Erdogan-linked organization

“All the Turkish teachers and administrators have left Pakistan and the schools are being run by Pakistanis,” said one of the parents Syed Amir Abdullah. He added that the government still seemed hell bent on ruining these institutions by handing them over to an ‘infamous organisation’ which has no experience of running them.

Pro-gov’t journalist proposes torturing jailed Gülen followers to force them to talk

Staunchly pro-government Turkish journalist Cem Küçük has complained about Turkish authorities’ not forcing jailed Gülen movement followers to speak about the group’s activities, suggesting that various kinds of torture could be used to make them talk, the Aktif Haber news website reported. Küçük’s controversial remarks came during a recent segment of “Media Critic” on TGRT […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s statement regarding the family that drowned in the Meric (Evros) River

Lawyer put behind bars along with 3-month-old baby

Wife of Calgary imam held in Turkey on coup allegations, says he still has no lawyer

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

Erdogan’s Purge Stretches All The Way To Pakistan

Brazilian Intellectuals and Artists Defend Turk against Demands for Extradition to Turkey

Afghan-Turk School Students Shine Abroad

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News