British Foreign Secretary praises Turkish schools in Afghanistan

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett
British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett


Date posted: March 30, 2007

EMİNE KART, AP , ANKARA, LONDON

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett and Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül have discussed educational projects that Turkey has been carrying out in Afghanistan, winning the praise of the visiting official, according to information obtained from diplomatic sources.

“As you know, during the Taliban regime, girls were not allowed to attend school. Turkey has opened schools to educate these lost girls. I visited the opening of this school in Kabul, and 1,500 students will receive an education at that school,” Gül said to Beckett, referring to a February visit to the Afghan Girls High School.

Beckett in turn said: “I didn’t know Turkey was playing such an important role in Afghanistan. Your disclosures are very important and show Turkey’s role and importance.” The first Afghan-Turkish school was opened in 1996 in Afghanistan; they now number six.

Gül said Afghanistan’s leader, Hamid Karzai, had demanded more schools from him as he noted that that the Turkish Armed Forces would assume command of International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for a third time.

Source: Excerpted from Today’s Zaman, 28 March 2007

 


Related News

Thousands bid farewell to Turkish teacher killed in Somalia

Thousands of people joined funeral prayers held for Hıdır Çalka, a Turkish teacher who was among five people who were killed when unidentified gunmen attacked a school bus carrying students, teachers and school staff in Mogadishu on Wednesday, in İstanbul on Saturday. Çalka was among two volunteer expat teachers who were killed in the attack. […]

Former director of Turkish schools in Pakistan and his family kidnapped

Former director of Pak-Turk Schools in Pakistan Mesut Kaçmaz and his family were reportedly kidnapped in Lahore on Wednesday, the Daily Pakistan reported. Another person, Fatih Avcı, who was also abducted and later released, said their heads were covered with bags.

Turkey Coup: Erdogan Uses Stalinist Measures To Crack Down On Education

In rhetoric reminiscent of the Stalinist purges, Erdoğan promised to “cleanse all state institutions”, rid Turkey’s judiciary of “cancer cells” and purge state bodies of the “virus”that has spread throughout Turkish state structures.

Gülen movement’s silent majority

After all, it is not difficult to understand that the reasons pushing so many people so far from home have been a love of service and a love of their own country. During the course of my travels, I also had the chance to meet a few of the teachers dedicated to their service and to teaching in these schools. Most of them had sacrificed some of their own opportunities so that they could simply contribute to the schools at which they are working.

CCTV shows school principal being ‘abducted’ as post-coup crackdown in Turkey spreads to Malaysia

A school principal and a businessman have disappeared in the latest in a string of international arrests allegedly ordered by Turkey in a post-coup crackdown that has seen more than 100,000 people detained. Human rights group warns pair could be tortured if they are extradited back to Turkey.

Thais demand more Turkish Schools during their visit in Turkey

Highly satisfied with the Turkish Schools operating in their country and demanding more, an official delegation from Thailand visited Bursa, Turkey. Bursa Governor Sahabettin Harput expressed his pleasure to host Chiang Mai Governor Tanin Subhasaen, his wife and accompanying officials from such a far but friendly country. Emphasizing the significance of Thailand as a country […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Remarks by Congressman Mike Honda (Representing California) at IFLC Washington DC

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

An in-depth Interview with TUSKON President Meral

Women gather for UN development agenda in İstanbul

Hate speech creates new opportunities for Hizmet movement

A medical center is being built next to Dadaap Camp

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News