Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement


Date posted: October 24, 2016

Helton Silva Malambane, a software developer from Mozambique who previously worked with the now-shut-down Fatih University, was detained by police at his residence in İstanbul’s Küçükçekmece district over links to the Gülen movement, whose sympathizers the government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15.

Twenty-seven-year-old Malambane was detained after police received anonymous tips about him. Police accuse Malambane of developing software for the Gülen movement, the pro-government Sabah daily reported.

According to the story in Sabah, police discovered that Malambane studied at a Gülen-linked high school in Mozambique and then attended Fatih University, which was recently shut down by government decree over links to the Gülen movement. He started to work as a software developer at the university after his graduation.

Sabah also reported that Malambane had participated in the International Turkish Language Olympiads, organized by schools established by Gülen sympathizers in more than 170 countries around the world.

The olympiads were highly popular in Turkey and overseas as they was attended by almost all members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), including President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, until December 2014, when the AKP and Erdoğan accused the movement of orchestrating a wide-ranging graft probe that implicated AKP members and Erdoğan’s family in corruption.

In October Turkish authorities deported five Yemeni students at universities that were shut down over links to US-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the Gülen movement.

On Oct. 1, more than 50 Nigerian students, mainly from Fatih University, were detained by Turkish police at İstanbul Atatürk Airport for allegedly being students of a “terrorist organization.”

Source: Turkish Minute , October 22, 2016


Related News

Turkey cooperating with Israel to help Gaza

Diplomatic sources confirmed that an official from the Turkish Red Crescent went to Israel to coordinate humanitarian aid to be sent to Gaza. “There is no other way to provide aid to Gaza,” said the sources on Thursday. Dismissing claims that the Turkish official will be negotiating a cease-fire between Israel and Gaza, sources said Turkey is only in contact with the officials from Hamas and the US regarding the Palestinian territory.

Woman miscarried twins in prison, dead bodies not returned to family

The 28-year-old Nurhayat Yildiz miscarried her twins in prison and the dead bodies of her babies were not returned to any of her family members.

Tables Have Turned for Some Media in Turkish Crackdown

Mr. Kenes says he should have been more outspoken in defense of fellow journalists when the government started targeting its critics more than a decade ago. “Frankly, we did not realize Mr. Erdogan’s real intentions,” said Mr. Kenes, who was convicted last year of insulting the president on Twitter and given a 21-month suspended prison sentence. “When I look at my history, I criticize myself for not showing more sympathy for their cases.”

1-year-old baby with cancer held in Mardin prison with mother: former HDP deputy

Avşin Usanmaz, a one-year-old baby with brain cancer, has been held in a prison in Mardin province with his imprisoned mother.

Report claims government categorized schools linked to Hizmet

The Turkish government classified, categorized and monitored a number of educational institutions in some way linked to Hizmet, a faith-based movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, until 2010, a Turkish daily reported on Sunday. “After statements confirmed the document, not only did I feel shattered, I am left speechless,” Gülen said.

Self-exiled Islamic scholar Gülen rejects Khomeini analogy for potential return to Turkey

I am not Iranian, how can I be like Khomeini? Nor have I ever had the pretensions that Khomeini had. I’m the child of my own country. If one day I return to Turkey, I will be the same as I’ve always been,” the U.S.-based Gülen said in a video-recorded message on March 5.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s accusation that Hizmet organized the coup attempt is noxious and absurd

Kimse Yok Mu meets Syrian refugees’ needs through sister families

Scholars to discuss tolerance at Hizmet Movement conference in Taiwan

Turkish Olympiad students visit Parliament Speaker Cemil Çiçek

Journalists and Writers Foundation in Rwanda for Global Peacemakers Conference

Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Islamic Renaissance in the Contemporary World

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News