Tortured detainee would choose 50 years in prison over return to custody in Turkey


Date posted: September 27, 2016

“I am OK with 50 years in prison, but please don’t send me back to detention in a holding cell,” a woman witnessed her detained husband begging police officers during a recent visit to the detention center.

Independent news portal TR724 on Sunday published the third part in a series on the re-emergence of torture in Turkey’s detention centers following a failed coup on July 15, based on the personal accounts of victims and their families.

What follows is a translation of a letter written by a teacher whose husband was detained in the aftermath of a July 15 coup attempt.

“My name is S.A. I am a teacher.

“Police raided our home at about midnight on a Thursday in late August. Officers rushed into the house after shouting from outside the door that warrants for the detention of my husband, A.A., and a search [of our house] had been issued. The voices could be heard even from the second floor. We barely managed to take a look at the warrants due to the commotion outside. The warrant was for someone with the initials Ö.I. Police officers said it was only a typing error.

“They were all very loud. I tried to to tell them our little child was sleeping to make them be quiet. I went into our child’s room. When I got back to the living room, after it had grown even louder, I saw that they were shouting at my husband: ‘On your feet!’ They handcuffed my husband behind his back and never let him sit down. They searched the entire house. I opened the window to get some air. They even reacted to this by glaring at me.

“May God curse those who put us in this situation, I prayed. One of them yelled back, ‘You pray to those putschists, pro-FETÖs.’

“While my husband was putting his clothes on, they asked where I worked. I said I am a teacher at a state-run school. ‘All right, we will also be seeing you in two days,’ they said.

“I didn’t hear from my husband for the first four days of his detention. I took some clothes to the detention center on the fourth day. They had me wait in the interrogation room. They asked me questions about my husband. They threatened me by saying: ‘Pro-coup FETÖ members are not allowed to work in state institutions. You will be suspended if we rat on you.’

“When they ultimately let my husband into the room, he was wretched. There were scars on his face. His mental state was bad. He begged not go back to the holding cell. ‘Give me a 50-year prison sentence if you like, but don’t take me back there,’ he said.

The police officers were yelling at me, saying: ‘If you have something to tell us, go ahead and save him!’ My husband was surrounded by four police officers while I was talking with him during the visit, and all were threatening him.

“It was obvious that they let my husband into the room just to show me how miserable he was.

“I looked for a lawyer for days, but I failed. None of the lawyers agreed to defend my husband. The bar association will assign a lawyer. I feel so helpless. My husband is being tortured. I fear for his life and mental health. Please help me!”

Source: Turkish Minute , September 27, 2016


Related News

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has announced September 2015 as the deadline for the “transformation” of private examination prep schools (dershanes) into private schools, while denying that the move represents hostility toward the “Hizmet” (Service) movement of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Speaking after a 7.5-hour-long Cabinet meeting on Dec. 2, Arınç also announced January 2014 […]

Counterterrorism judge found to be PM’s strong supporter

Judge Yusuf Şahin, who was appointed to the Van Counterterrorism Court in April, shared a photo of the prime minister on Facebook with the tag “Liderlerin lideri Erdoğan” (Erdoğan, leader of all leaders). The judge also posted comments on Facebook praising the prime minister and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and leveling strong criticism at Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the inspiration behind the faith-based Hizmet movement, which works in the fields of education, charity and outreach.

Conference declares gov’t needs to be more active in preventing domestic violence

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL The government should take a more active role in preventing domestic violence — which is on the rise across Turkey and the world — stated the final declaration of the conference on violence and society organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation‘s (GYV) Women’s Platform between Nov. 24 and 26 in İstanbul. […]

Turkey Concedes: No Evidence Linking Gulen to Coup Sent to Washington

Turkey is conceding it has not sent any evidence to Washington linking Fethullah Gulen to the failed July 15 coup attempt, despite increasingly angry calls by Ankara for the United States to extradite the Pennsylvania-based cleric or suffer a severe downgrade in diplomatic relations.

Fatih, Yamanlar, Samanyolu schools win medals at science Olympiad

İstanbul’s private Fatih Science High School, Ankara’s private Samanyolu Science High School and İzmir’s private Yamanlar Science High School picked up several medals on Wednesday in the 20th National Science Olympiad and the 17th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools.

Ex-diplomats detained over Gülen links subjected to severe torture, says deputy

Some 20 former employees of the Turkish Foreign Ministry who were among 100 detained last week are being subjected to heavy torture, according to claims raised by a member of the Turkish Parliament.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

An in-depth Interview with TUSKON President Meral

Deporting Gülen would undercut NATO

Who is escalating tensions?

Mandela supported mosque construction in Johannesburg, says businessman

Turkey’s counter-terrorism campaign [against Hizmet] discredited

Pak-Turk International celebrates 8th annual night gala

Kimse Yok Mu opens education complex in Kenya

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News