No country is safe for Gülen sympathizers, Erdoğan says


Date posted: September 20, 2016

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Monday threatened followers of the faith-based Gülen movement living all over the world, saying that no country is safe for them.

“No country, no region anywhere in the world, is a safe haven for FETÖ [an acronym the government has been using to refer to the Gülen movement] and militants,” said Erdoğan during a press conference at İstanbul Atatürk Airport, before flying to New York for the UN General Assembly.

Erdoğan said he would use his speech to the UN General Assembly as an opportunity to talk about the role of the Gülen movement in the July 15 failed coup attempt in Turkey.

“We will continue to warn our friends. We will continue to enter the lairs of this organization.”

Last month, pro-government media outlets threatened critical journalists who worked for media sympathetic to Gülen movement and are now in exile.

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) has been tasked with locating, arresting and even killing military officers who fled Turkey after allegedly taking part in a failed coup attempt last month, according a story in the Vatan daily on Aug. 30.

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, which launched a war against the Gülen movement following the eruption of a corruption scandal in late 2013 in which senior government members were implicated, carried its ongoing crackdown on the movement and its sympathizers to a new level after a failed coup attempt on July 15 that killed 240 people and injured a thousand others.

Although the movement strongly denies having any role in the corruption probe or coup attempt, the government accuses it of having masterminded both despite the lack of any tangible evidence.

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspire the movement and who lives in self-imposed exile in the US, called for an international investigation into the coup attempt, but Erdoğan — calling the putsch “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

The government also accuses the movement of being a terrorist organization.

A report published by the German Focus magazine in July claimed that Turkish government members decided to pin the blame for the coup attempt on Gülen half an hour after the uprising and agreed to begin a purge of Gülen followers the next day.

The German magazine wrote its report based on interceptions of phone calls by English intelligence, emails and SMS messages of members of the Turkish government.

The Turkish government has already purged over 100,00 people, detained 43,000 and arrested 24,000 over alleged ties to the movement. Among the arrestees are journalists, judges, prosecutors, academics, doctors, teachers, nurses and even a comedian.

The official opening of the UN General Assembly will take place on Sept. 20 under the theme “The Sustainable Development Goals: A Universal Push to Transform our World.” Erdoğan will attend the meeting on the occasion of the first anniversary of the approval of the goals and the Development Agenda for 2030.

He will later attend the opening of the General Assembly and will then address world leaders from the UN podium on Sept. 20. Erdoğan is expected to urge world leaders on the need to adopt a common stand against terrorism. Ongoing turmoil in Syria and Turkey’s recent offensive into northern Syria to defeat the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) will also be on his agenda.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 19, 2016


Related News

Predictability in Erdoğan’s Turkey

The most significant damage beleaguered Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has inflicted on Turkey in a frantic effort to rescue himself, his children and close associates from legal troubles amid massive corruption, money laundering and illegal land-zoning deals was a blow to the “credibility” of Turkey and “predictability” in its political and economic environment.

Turkey’s treatment of dismissed officials reminiscent of Nazis: Luxembourg

Luxembourg’s foreign minister said on Monday that the Turkish government’s handling of civil servants dismissed after a failed coup attempt reminded him of methods used by the Nazis, and that sooner or later the EU would have to respond with sanctions.

Turkey’s ‘black box’ must be opened

The recent debate on tutoring centers and private prep schools and the shocking revelations on the dirty warfare used in the 1990s against the Kurdish population are certainly parts of this pressure-cooker-like mood. It is obvious that “Erdoğan’s Way” of running the country is based on keeping tension just under control, so that it will serve his own ambitions to cement personal power.

Report: White House denies remarks attributed to Obama about Gülen

White House has reportedly denied remarks attributed to US President Barack Obama about Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, describing them as “not accurate.” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Thursday during a live TV interview that Obama received “the message” about his complaint of Gülen residing in the US.

Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

“If among those who conducted the graft investigations were some people who might be connected to the Hizmet movement, was I supposed to tell these people, ‘Turn a blind eye to the corruption charges?’ It appears to me that some people were expecting me to do this. Did they expect me to do this? How can I say something that would ruin my afterlife? How else can I act?” Fethullah Gülen said.

So who’s finished exactly: the Gülen movement or the AKP?

Many writers and thinkers in Turkey, responding to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan crew’s full-scale, state-backed attack on the Gülen movement, noted wisely, “You cannot wipe out that entire sociology.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

JWF statement on allegations against Hizmet movement

Why won’t Obama extradite Gulen?

Kimse Yok Mu to share perspectives at Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting

Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive

Turkish investors To Inject Capital Into Ghana’s Economy

One blow after another at anti-Hizmet docu’s premier

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of condolence for Muhammad Ali

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News