Gülen says paying price for not supporting Erdoğan’s desire for presidential system


Date posted: September 9, 2016

In an interview with Politico magazine, Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is accused of masterminding Turkey’s foiled coup among other things, said President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan targeted him and the Hizmet movement when he declined to support Erdoğan’s ambition for an executive presidency.

“Mr Erdoğan put pressure on me and Hizmet sympathizers to publicly support his idea of a presidential system. He increased the pressure by supporting government-funded alternatives to Hizmet institutions and then began threatening to close them down,” Gülen stated in a written interview with Nahal Toosi, which was published on Friday. According to Gülen, Hizmet sympathizers are paying a heavy price for their independence. Yet, he says he does not have any regrets.

The Turkish cleric, who has been in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999 as a result of political pressure in Turkey, denied accusations of “having a dark agenda” and said that if anyone following his teachings has been involved in any illegal activity, it means a “betrayal” of his peaceful teachings.

According to Gülen, by means of a relentless witch-hunt in the absence of rule of law, the Erdoğan government is trying to force Hizmet movement supporters into violence. However, Gülen said he is confident that they will continue to remain peaceful. According to Gülen, there is nobody in Turkey to stop Erdoğan’s “uninhibited ambitions.”

In response to a question on Turkey’s request for his extradition from the US, Gülen stated his belief that the US would not abandon its tradition of rule of law just to please Erdoğan.

The full text of the original interview can be found in this link.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 9, 2016


Related News

The Scale of Turkey’s Purge Is Nearly Unprecedented

Only rarely in modern history has a leader detained and fired as many perceived adversaries as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has since a failed coup attempt last month. Here is how Mr. Erdogan’s vast purge would look if Americans were targeted at a similar scale.

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee: Charges against Gülen not credible

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman Dana Rohrabacher said during a hearing titled “Turkey after the July Coup Attempt” in the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday that the Turkish government’s claims against a US-based Turkish scholar for masterminding the July 15 coup attempt lack substantial evidence and were not credible.

First-Ever Comprehensive Biography on Fethullah Gülen

In the first-ever comprehensive biography, Fethullah Gülen: A Life of Hizmet – Why A Muslim Scholar in Pennsylvania Matters to the World, author Jon Pahl gains unprecedented access to Fethullah Gulen’s inner circle as well as to Gülen himself.

Civil death: Amnesty report on social upheaval caused by Turkey’s purge of public servants

“Tainted as ‘terrorists’ and stripped of their livelihoods, a large swathe of people in Turkey are no longer able to continue in their careers and have had alternative employment opportunities blocked,” Andrew Gardner, Amnesty International’s researcher on Turkey.

Review of Dogan Koc’s Strategic Defamation of Fethullah Gulen: English vs. Turkish

Dogan Koc explores the identity of people who lead defamation campaigns around the globe. One of the striking observations is that over half of these libelous articles were produced by the same group of people.

African firms signal increased trade at TUSKON meeting

A total of 127 companies from 11 different countries in East Africa are participating in the Gaziantep summit, which started on Feb. 9 and will run until Feb. 12. The Turkish and African businesspeople held roughly 5,000 bilateral business meetings. TUSKON has intensified efforts to help more Turkish firms branch out into promising African markets over the past five years.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Pro-Gov’t Columnist Suggests Setting Turkey’s Silivri Prison Ablaze To Kill Inmates From Gülen Movement

Former TÜBİTAK VP: Over 250 dismissed in 2 months

Turkey Now Back in Africa with Turkish Schools

In Houston, a celebration: Silk road festival

US-based Turkish cleric denies involvement in coup plot

Unity in diversity

PM Erdoğan continues with insults, threats against Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News