Biden says US courts to decide on Gülen’s extradition


Date posted: August 25, 2016

US Vice President Joe Biden, who arrived in Ankara on Wednesday, said the US administration wants to cooperate with Turkey over the Turkish government’s request for the extradition of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen but that it is a US court that will make the decision.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım, Biden said US officials and judicial experts are cooperating with their Turkish counterparts and examining evidence submitted to the US by Turkey about Gülen.

He said the documents provided by Turkey need to be submitted to a US court and that the documents should be prepared in accordance with US law concerning the extradition of criminals.

Biden said the US can extradite Gülen only after an American court makes such a decision.

The US vice president noted that his country has no intention of protecting someone who inflicts damage on an ally but that they have an obligation to abide by the law.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan reiterated frequent, earlier demands for the extradition of Gülen during a speech in Ankara on Wednesday.

Turkish authorities claim Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania, was the mastermind behind the violent coup attempt that killed over 240 people on July 15, while Gülen denies any involvement.

However, in a development that surprised many, the US State Department said on Tuesday that Turkey has formally requested the extradition of Gülen but not on issues related to the recent coup attempt, which Turkish leaders have accused him of inspiring.

“So we can confirm now that Turkey has requested the extradition of Gülen,” State Department deputy spokesman Mark Toner told a press briefing on Tuesday. US officials earlier said they were reviewing documents submitted by Turkey but were not able to say if they constituted an extradition request.

Toner told reporters the formal extradition request from Turkey was not related to the attempted coup last month but was for other issues for which Gülen was being sought by authorities in Ankara.

The Turkish government and President Erdoğan have designated the faith-based Gülen movement, inspired by Gülen and operating charities, schools and businesses around the world, as a terrorist organization and have launched a widespread crackdown on suspected members since the failed coup.

Source: Turkish Minute , August 24, 2016


Related News

Erdoğan calls on people to show no mercy to Gülen movement

Amid an ongoing witch-hunt targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Saturday called on people to not show mercy to the movement, saying the pitiful will be pitied, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Fethullah Gulen awarded in the Philippines for contribution to peace

The Philippine army chief has honored Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen with a special award for the charity activities and contributions to peace of the faith-based Hizmet movement. Philippine Chief of General Staff Gen. Leonardo B. Guerrero said during a beef-sharing ceremony that the army is grateful for the important activities of the Hizmet movement […]

Pro-gov’t daily: Turkey, Russia could conduct joint operation to abduct Gülen

Turkey and Russia could carry out a joint operation to abduct US-based Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to Turkey due to Gülen’s alleged role in the assassination of a Russian ambassador in December 2016 as well as a failed coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016, the pro-government Akşam daily reported.

Bank Asya answers smear campaign

Publicly traded Bank Asya roundly denied the ‘baseless rumors’ about its financial status via the Public Disclosure Platform (KAP). “There have been baseless smear and defamation campaign widely circulating in some press organizations and social media sites” read the statement. “Our bank will apply to the authorities to protect our legal rights in the face […]

Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links

Özlem Konakçı, the wife of former bomb disposal expert Bilal Konakçı, was detained over her alleged links to the Gülen movement. Bilal was retired from his position at İzmir Police Department after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009.

Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers

The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Saylorsburg protesters focus on Turkish cleric

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

AK Party’s ’parallel’ election campaign

Child victims to be affected by smear campaign against KYM

Turkish schools in US select Olympiad finalists

Turkey’s Ongoing Crackdown: nearly 13,000 police officers suspended for alleged links to the Gulen movement

Copyright 2023 Hizmet News