Feds don’t see extradition for Turkish cleric [Mr. Gulen]


Date posted: August 7, 2016

Kevin Johnson and Gregg Zoroya

The extradition of an elderly cleric living in Pennsylvania who Turkish officials allege orchestrated last month’s failed coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has not drawn serious consideration by U.S. officials, a federal law enforcement official said Friday.

Although Turkish authorities have requested the extradition of Fethullah Gulen, 75, the official said there is no evidence to indicate that Gulen directed the attempted overthrow.

The official, who is not authorized to comment publicly, also said there were additional concerns about returning Gulen to an unsettled political environment in the aftermath of the failed coup.

The attempted coup on July 15 left hundreds dead and rocked a key NATO ally.

The cleric denied involvement in the violence when he met with reporters on July 18 at his compound in the Pocono Mountains of eastern Pennsylvania. Gulen attorney Reid Weingarten told reporters Friday he was “not surprised” by reports that the U.S. was not likely to approve extradition. “We take great comfort from the (report),” he said.

Turkish leaders have not only demanded the cleric’s extradition, filing papers with the U.S. State Department, but have suggested the failure to do so would be a serious breach in the U.S.-Turkish relationship.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that any country “standing by this person will not be a friend of Turkey.” The Turkish state-run news agency reported that courts issued an arrest warrant for Gulen Wednesday.

Lawyers for Gulen, speaking at a press conference in Washington, D.C., said they fear potential attacks on his life. They said they expected Gulen to stay in his Pennsylvania compound.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry plans to arrive in Turkey later this month, Turkey’s foreign minister said Friday. Mevlut Cavusoglu said Kerry was scheduled to reach Turkey on Aug. 24, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency. Cavusoglu also said it is possible that Vice President Joe Biden will make a separate visit.

A severe crackdown followed the attempted coup with people in the Turkish military, academia and judiciary rounded up. Nearly 70,000 people have been suspended from their jobs. Some 18,000 have been arrested or detained and there have even been calls for use of the death penalty as punishment.

The Turkish government prompted President Obama to urge Erdogan to be certain that individual rights be protected in efforts to uncover those responsible for the attempted coup.

A refusal to extradite could presage one of the lowest points in a generation in U.S.-Turkey relations, said Steven Cook, an expert on Turkish politics with the Council on Foreign Relations, a think tank in Washington D.C.

He said anti-American rhetoric emanating from Turkish leaders and media can “take on a life of its own. So what my concern is that although Erdogan is kind of the master of the political universe there, there will be a tremendous amount of political pressure to punish the United States in some way.”

The obvious target would be limiting U.S. military operations out of Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. The country currently allows U.S. airstrikes on Islamic State targets to be flown out of Incirlik. That permission, negotiated just last year, could be revoked, hindering operations against the terrorist group, Cook said.

“What the guys in the military explain to me is you don’t have to refuel (for missions out of Incirlik), pilots can loiter in the area, they can conduct what they call dynamic airstrikes, that’s when something comes to their attention,” Cook said. “And it’s much, much harder when you’re flying all that way from other places.”

No final decision has been made on the extradition.

Source: USA Today , August 5, 2016


Related News

Syracuse Turkish community celebrates their heritage with a Children’s Festival

The Syracuse Turkish community and representatives of the Turkish Cultural Center celebrated their National Sovereignty and Children’s Day at Syracuse City Hall

Flynn stopped military plan against ISIS that Turkey opposed – after being paid as its agent

One of the Trump administration’s first decisions about the fight against the Islamic State, ISIS, was made by Michael Flynn weeks before he was fired – and it conformed to the wishes of Turkey, whose interests, unbeknownst to anyone in Washington, he’d been paid more than $500,000 to represent.

Fresh resignation in Turkey’s ruling AKP over graft scandal

Çetin also denied that he had spoken about resigning with Gülen, adding that the U.S.-based scholar did not give orders to anyone. “He does not interfere with anyone’s preferences. You only take advise and he gives his personal opinion. He has actually persuaded me to stay until today,” the resigned deputy said.

Dr. Lilian Sison: Fethullah Gülen is a pioneer of peace

Speaking at a conference held the Philippines’ 400-year-old university, University of Santo Tomas, Dr. Lilian Sison, the Dean of International Relations Department of the University of Santo Tomas, indicated that Fethullah Gülen, a well-respected Turkish-Islamic scholar, is a pioneer of peace.

ALDE’s Watson says illiberal state leads to unjust action against Gülen followers

Sir Graham Watson, the outgoing president of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) Party, has said, while citing the consequences of a country’s deviation from liberal values, that the politically motivated moves targeting the followers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen are the result of an illiberal state.

Gülen’s ideas address the entire world

The ideas of Fethullah Gülen, the most discussed figure of Turkey for decades now, have become important topics in the intellectual circles of the world in recent years.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)

Irregularities mark so-called Cabinet decision on Kimse Yok Mu

Pioneer Academy of Science to Move to a New Campus

Turkey Bars Entry Of Critics By Adding Their Names Next To ISIL Suspects

Targeted by dictator, Turkish family seeks refuge in Albany

GYV discusses respect for sacred values at UN panel

Erdogan’s dirty deal: Afghanistan to hand over control of Gülenist schools to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News