Greater Jakarta: Students, parents protest Embassy’s statement


Date posted: August 3, 2016

Students and parents at the Turkish-affiliated Pribadi Bilingual boarding school in Depok, West Java, have filed objections over a recent statement from the Turkish Embassy in Jakarta that referred to the school as having links with a terrorist organization.

A spokesman for Yenbu Indonesia Foundation, which operates the school, said the school had received protests from both students and their parents after the embassy made the statement on Thursday.

“[The students and their parents] contacted us via Whatsapp and phone calls, telling us that they were offended that their school had been called a terrorist school,” the foundation’s spokesman Ari Rosandi said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday.

Some of the students and parents even directed their complaints to the embassy via social media, he said, adding that school activities had not been disturbed by the embassy’s controversial statement.

“We asked students if any of the teachers there had ever taught hatred to them and they replied that none had. That shows that this school is not a terrorist school,” said Maman Firmansyah, the headmaster for the junior and senior high schools of Pribadi Bilingual boarding school.

Previously, the Turkish Embassy issued a statement that Pribadi Bilingual boarding school was among nine schools in Indonesia affiliated with US-Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen. The cleric is suspected by Ankara as the mastermind behind a recent failed coup attempt in Turkey.

Source: The Jakarta Post , July 30, 2016


Related News

Former minister inquires about secret plot against Gülen movement

Former minister with ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İdris Naim Şahin has submitted a lengthy inquiry to the Turkish Parliament, asking if there is a secret plot against members of the Gülen movement and if the government has mobilized all its resources to gather evidence through any means.

PM’s order echoes 2004 MGK decision [to undermine the Gulen Movement]

The prime minister’s order that Turkish ambassadors “tell the truth” to their foreign interlocutors about the corruption probe has brought to mind a controversial National Security Council (MGK) document indicating that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) agreed to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen in 2004.

Deputy PM Arınç opens Zaman University in Cambodia

Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Sok An thanked Turkish entrepreneurs for their initiatives in the area of education and remarked that two years ago he had asked them for an institution of higher education.

Erdoğan gov’t supports Iranian contest while obstructing Turkish Olympiad

While Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been attempting to obstruct the Turkish Language and Culture Olympiad, his government has been supporting a similar competition to be held in Tehran in August 2014.

African Initiative on Education for Peace and Development through Inter-religious and Intercultural Dialogue

African Heads of states and religious leaders have launched the ‘African Initiative on Education for Peace and Development through Inter-religious and Intercultural Dialogue’ in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.



Turkey targets Gulen schools in Africa

Turkish government anger with the Gulen movement, over its alleged involvement in the failed July 15 coup, has spread to Africa. Governments are being pressured into closing down Gulen schools. Children are romping around the school grounds apparently without a care in the world. A few of them are standing together and reciting in unison […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

IFLC’s ‘colors of the world’ takes stage in Brazil

Pakistan’s Senate body to summon officials over missing Turkish family

New Book – “Beginnings and Endings: Fethullah Gülen’s Vision for Today’s World”

Students from 70 countries share joy of graduating in İstanbul ceremony

Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run

Major Says No One In Erdoğan Assassination Attempt Trial Has Links To Gülen

Gov’t profiling of individuals found unacceptable, unlawful

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News