Parents of Nigerian-Turkish International College students decry call to close schools


Date posted: July 31, 2016

The Parents Teachers Association of the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges (NTIC), has called on the Nigerian Government to disregard any request for the closure of the schools in the country.

The parents, who made the call on Saturday in Abuja at meeting, said the accusation that the schools were a training ground for terrorist was baseless and unsustainable.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Turkish Government recently asked the Nigerian Government to close down all the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) in the country.

According to the Turkish Government, the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges belonged to Fetullah Gulen, accused of sponsoring the July 15 failed military coup in that country.

The country’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Hakan Cakil, said this while hosting the Vice Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Shehu Sani of the APC, who represents Kaduna Central in the house.

Mr. Cakil alleged that the schools belonged to Gulen`s movement, a cult of personality that runs a secretive transitional network aiming to overthrow the Turkish government.

“The accusation is baseless and a slight on us parents and the Nigerian Government,” Hauwa Abubakar, a parent, who has three children in the school, said.

She maintained that the parents know the operators of the schools to their homes and families, adding that they could not have been involved in such practices.

Sani Balogun, Vice Chairperson NTIC primary, added that there was something unique in the school and called on the Federal Government to react to the Ambassador`s call.

Shehu Abudulahi, also a parent, however, said that if the school was doing anything wrong, the Federal Government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should investigate.

He urged parents not to be too emotional about the call made by the Ambassador to the extent of dropping names.

He stressed that there was, however, a need to carry along all the 17 NTIC in the country in the fight to ensure that the schools were not closed.

Mr. Abudulahi, a professor, added that the schools were playing very significant role in the development of education in Nigeria and should not be closed unless it was found wanting and culpable.

He said that the school was one of the most secured in the country, adding that even in the hit of Boko Haram activities in the North east, it remained open in Yobe.

He further added that so long as the NTIC had operated within the laws of Nigeria, it should be allowed to remain in operation.

He, therefore, urged the parents to remain resolute in their struggle to ensure that the institutions were not closed.

He also urged the operators of the school to continue preparing for the new school year, saying “there is no shaking.’’

Awulu Awulu, first Education Secretary of the FCT also a parent at the meeting, appreciated the NTIC management, and urged parents to stand by the school in its trying period.

According to him, the call by the Turkish Ambassador for the closure of the NTIC was targeted at parents and not the institution.

He, however, advised that regardless the anger in the parents, they should follow due process in their struggle.

The parents at the meeting were unanimous in saying that they would stand by the NTIC to the end to ensure that it was not closed down as requested by the Ambassador.

The NTIC had been operating in the country in the past 18 years. Some of its old students at the meeting said they would join their parents in backing the institution.

Source: Premium Times , July 30, 2016


Related News

Education for Sustainable Development

By Tasmin Mahfuz Dominic Deo Androga was one of the first students who studied here at the Light Academy in Kenya. Dominic Deo Androga, PhD Biotechnology: “And I can say it was one of the best experiences. It was the right choice for me to attend the school there cuz from there I was able […]

Editorial Opinion: Mistreating [Turkish] Teachers

It is a shameful way to thank those [Turkish teachers] who have worked hard to teach our children and spread quality education. All these people have been living in Pakistan legally and have been contributing to our society through their educational services. We should treat them with the respect and honour that they deserve. 

A Voice from Africa: Is This Erdogan’s Play For Autocratic Power In Turkey?

Erdogan has unlimited power for the next three months during the state of emergency and he is already thinking of instituting the death penalty (remember the Austro-Hungarian German dictator called Hitler). Here’s to hoping he self-implodes in the next three months, because it is doubtful he will relinquish his hold on power at the end.

Turkey’s Curious Coup – positions of the Turkish Government, Gulen Movement and Turkey’s Western allies

Within days of the coup attempt, James Clapper, the then-Director of US National Intelligence, said that they had not seen any intelligence indicating Gülen’s involvement. Bruno Kahl, head of Germany’s BND foreign intelligence agency, said during an interview in March 2017 that he did not believe Gülen was behind the coup.

Fethullah Gulen Calls Crackdown ‘Dark Pages’ in History – Responses to World Affairs Council of Philadelphia

In videotaped remarks to the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia, Fethullah Gulen said the Turkish government is using the attempted coup to justify persecuting his followers, who he said are being “subjected to oppression and tyranny, molestation and unlawful acquisition of their private properties.

Two volunteers of Gülen Movement reportedly abducted after released by Azerbaijani Court

According to a report, Turkish citizens Ayhan Seferoğlu and Erdoğan Taylan were detained by Azeri police. However, an Azerbaijani court decided to release them. As their relatives were waiting Seferoğlu and Taylan to be free, they have reportedly been abducted by unidentified persons from the backdoor of the courthouse where they were tried.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey could find itself facing hefty legal bill for mass purges

Rising Value of Turkey: ‘The Gülen Movement’

The Future of Islamic Civilization in A Globalizing World

Turkish Schools in Niger

Nine-year-old beats 25,000 others in Maths competition

Systematic Efforts by the Erdoğan Regime to Portray Hizmet as a Violent Organisation

Turkish PM calls on Islamic scholar Gülen to return to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News