America’s Friends Get Arrested in Turkey’s Post-Coup Purges

FAILED COUP, BIG BACKLASH.
PHOTOGRAPHER: DANIEL MIHAILESCU/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
FAILED COUP, BIG BACKLASH. PHOTOGRAPHER: DANIEL MIHAILESCU/AFP/GETTY IMAGES


Date posted: July 29, 2016

ELI LAKE

Many of the Turkish officers that are the key counterparts for U.S. counterterrorism efforts have been arrested or purged after a failed coup earlier this month.

This is the frank assessment of both the U.S. general in charge of the Middle East and South Asia, Joseph Votel, and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

Neither man sugarcoated their words Thursday at the Aspen Security Forum.

“It’s affected all segments of the national security apparatus in Turkey,” Clapper said. “Many of our interlocutors have been purged or arrested. There is no question this is going to set back our cooperation with the Turks.”

Votel said he was “concerned about the longer term impact” of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s post-coup purges and arrests, though he said the U.S. had ways to manage it. He also acknowledged that some of the Turkish officers who have been arrested worked closely with the U.S. on the fight against the Islamic State. “I think some of them are in jail,” he said.

The U.S.-Turkish relationship today is particularly important in the fight against Jihadists. Last year, Erdogan’s government allowed American training at Turkish bases and the U.S. and its allies to fly bombing runs into Syria out of the Incirlik air base. Incirlik is particularly important for U.S. interests because many of the military’s drones, sensors and other intelligence and surveillance platforms used in the Middle East are based there.

Over the last 18 months, Erdogan has also done much more to cooperate with the U.S. on the flow of foreign fighters into Syria through Turkish territory. Jeh Johnson, the U.S. secretary for homeland security singled out the Turks for special praise on this front Wednesday evening at the Aspen forum.

But since the coup, there has been tension. “Obviously, we are very dependent on Turkey for basing of our resources,” Votel said. “I am concerned it will impact the level of cooperation and collaboration that we have with Turkey.”

Erdogan has arrested the Turkish general in charge of Incirlik for his role in the aborted coup this month. Following the failed coup, the power for the base was cut. Full U.S. operations there only restarted this week.

Meanwhile, the U.S. is still trying to restore its operations at the Diyarbakir base on the Syrian border, where the U.S. runs personnel recovery missions.

Some of the tensions following the coup surround Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric who has lived in the U.S. since 1999. Erdogan says Gulen’s followers in the middle ranks of the military are responsible for the coup. The government has fired thousands of teachers, military officers and other civil servants accused of being members of Gulen’s shadow network. Erdogan has also demanded the U.S. extradite Gulen, who holds a U.S. green card.

The Obama administration has not acceded to Erdogan’s demands, saying they would need to see the Turkish government’s evidence before sending Gulen back to Turkey. Meanwhile, some in the Turkish press have also accused the U.S. of playing a role in the coup, specifically saying that a retired general, John Campbell helped toorchestrate it.

Robert Amsterdam, an international lawyer who has been hired by the Turkish government, told me Thursday that he disagreed with the assessments of Votel and Clapper. “Our information is that a lot of key folks remain,” he said, referring to senior Turkish military officers who have worked closely with the U.S. government.

James Jeffrey, a former U.S. ambassador to Turkey and a fellow today at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, agreed with Amsterdam. “I have not heard of significant purges of the Turkish intelligence agency or of the foreign ministry,” Jeffrey told me. He added that the purges following the coup so far had not affected those at the highest levels of the Turkish military, most of whom were exonerated and are now back on the job.

“At such a delicate time in Turkish-American relations we need to be very careful about what we say publicly about the relationship,” Jeffrey warned. “After all, the senior military and civilian leadership in Turkey in many cases feel they were about to be killed in this coup.


This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

Source: Bloomberg , July 28, 2016


Related News

Deputy claims Erdoğan prevented medical treatment of Kyrgyz president in Turkey

When Atambayev got sick while in Turkey in September, Erdoğan ordered hospitals across the country to refuse him medical services. Consequently, Atambayev went to Moscow for treatment. The deputy who made this claim also stated that once Erdoğan turns his back on someone, he would never again consider that person a friend.

Lessons from Dec. 17: Who is parallel?

To prove whether the Gülen movement has a parallel structure , one has to establish that the investigations and wiretappings were not conducted within the scope of a legal investigation. If that is proven, one has to demonstrate that the police and prosecutors in charge of the investigations were receiving instructions not from the state but from sources within the movement. Both of these claims have to be proven with evidence.

“ISIS — A terrorist group making false representation of Islam,” says Turkish Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen

Fethullah Gülen, a Turkish Muslim scholar, thinker, author, poet, opinion leader and educational activist. who is actively promoting interfaith and intercultural dialogue for over a decade now, has strongly condemned the brutal atrocities being committed by the ISIS terrorist group hiding behind a false religious rhetoric.

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

Representatives of civil society organizations across Turkey issued press releases on Wednesday to condemn a defamation campaign targeting the Hizmet movement, a volunteer-based grassroots movement particularly working in the field of education around the world while aiming to spread interfaith dialogue inspired by Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010

The Islamist Akit daily published a story on illegal profiling conducted by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) that targeted religious groups back in 2010, long before the Taraf daily, which is currently under fire from the government for publishing similar documents, the authenticity of which have been confirmed by the government.

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I Call For An International Investigation Into The Failed Putsch In Turkey’

I openly call on the Turkish government to allow for an international commission to investigate the coup attempt, and promise my full cooperation in this matter. If the commission finds one-tenth of the accusations against me to be justified, I am ready to return to Turkey and receive the harshest punishment.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Hong Kong Anatolia Cultural & Dialogue Centre, Photography Competition 2015

Does the Gülen (Hizmet) Movement Deny the Armenian Genocide?

An interview at a party-state

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Turkish cultural center celebrates opening in Mount Prospect

School officials to sue the Turkish ambassador for defamation

Erdoğan hampers girls’ education [by shutting down prep schools run by the Hizmet movement]

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News