Calgary man accused of helping plot Turkish coup


Date posted: July 25, 2016

Brodie Thomas

Family and friends of a Calgary imam who has been detained in Turkey say they are worried for his safety as well as that of his wife and two children.

Davud Hanci is being detained by police in Turkey. Local media reports accuse him of helping with an unsuccessful coup attempt on July 15.

Ruveyda Durmus, Hanci’s sister-in-law, said Turkish media have reported he arrived on July 13 when in fact he arrived there July 7 to see his ailing father.

Hanci had brought his wife, Rumeysa, and their two sons, aged 9 and 8, to see his father one final time. Durmus said her sister and the two children are not being detained at the moment, but they are afraid.

“I am trying to get help from the Canadian government,” said Durmus. “They told me because he has dual citizenship, it’s complicated.”

The Canadian government has offered assistance in getting Hanci’s family back to Canada, but they are hesitant to leave without Hanci.

“We are so worried,” said Durmus. “We cannot go to Turkey — they might arrest us too.”

Turkish President Recep Erdogan has accused an exiled religious leader named Fethullah Gulen of organizing the coup. Gulen resides in Pennsylvania, where he runs a retreat centre devoted to spreading the word of the Hizmet Movement.

Turkish media reports are painting Hanci as a right-hand-man to Gulen, but Malik Muradov, executive director of the Intercultural Dialogue Institute of Calgary, said there’s no truth to those reports.

“He has nothing to do with the coup, nor would he approve of it,” said Muradov.

He said a photo that reportedly shows Hanci with Gulen is not actually Hanci.

Hanci works as an imam for Corrections Canada and Alberta Government Correctional Services, according to Muradov, who added that he also volunteers much of his time to the Turkish community.

Muradov said he personally has been to Gulen’s retreat centre for workshops, and that the Hizmet Movement is about promoting education, interfaith dialogue, and peace.

Muradov said while Hanci undoubtedly is familiar with Gulen, it is unlikely that Gulen would know Hanci.

Source: Calgary Metro News , July 24, 2016


Related News

What is this bedlam all about?

So, as expected, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan declared all-out war. The enemy — what he and his advisers regard as “the junta formation within the police,” the media, the judiciary, the American Embassy, affiliates of the mainly volunteer Hizmet movement, and, well, whoever seems to disagree with the way he intends to run the country and whoever tends to believe there is no smoke without fire — have dug their trenches in a circle.

Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution. This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools. Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

Renewing Islam by Service: A Christian View of Fethullah Gulen with Pim Valkenberg

Renewing Islam by Service offers a theological account of the contemporary Turkish faith-based service movement started by Fethullah Gülen, and placed against the backdrop of changes in modern Turkish society. The life and works of Gülen are analyzed against the background of developments in Turkish society, and of spiritual Islamic tendencies in the transition from the Ottoman empire to the secular republic.

Victims of Erdogan’s witch-hunt and purge get their voice heard

A new website has recently been launched to publish stories or Turkish president Erdogan’s with-hunt, persecution and brutal crack-down on the dissents. The new website is named “Magduriyetler,” which aims to disseminate the stories of the countless violations of law after the coup attempt in July 2016.

Turkey’s purges continue a year after failed coup

One year on, Turkey’s crackdown on suspected coup plotters shows no signs of ending – and has now reached human rights workers. Diego Cupolo reports from Ankara.

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences and Condemnation for Manhattan Terrorist Attack

Fethullah Gülen: I am deeply shocked and saddened by the atrocious terrorist attack in Manhattan which resulted in the deaths of eight innocent civilians and left 11 others injured. I strongly condemn this despicable and senseless act of violence.

Latest News

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

That is Why the Turkish Government could Pay 1 Billion Euros

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

Grondahl: Turkish community strong in wake of threats from back home

In Case You Missed It

Turkey to pay huge compensation for post-coup rights violations, main opposition says

Hizmet-affiliated educational institutions succeed in TEOG exam

Enes Kanter to sign with Trail Blazers for record $70 million

Modern authoritarianism

Islam: Peace or Terror | Fethullah Gulen’s Response

Pillar of Society or Threat to Democracy?

Education for Sustainable Development

Copyright 2021 Hizmet News