Former deputy Uras: Erdoğan struck deal with Ergenekon against Gülen movement

Ufuk Uras. (Photo: Cihan)
Ufuk Uras. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: December 23, 2015

A former member of Parliament, academic Ufuk Uras claimed during an interview with a daily on Monday that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had made a deal with the leaders of the Ergenekon clandestine organization during his fight against the faith-based Gülen movement after the Dec. 17 and 25 graft investigations became public at the end of 2013.

Speaking to the Yeni Asya daily, Uras, who was elected to Parliament as an independent in July 2007 and led the Freedom and Solidarity Party (ÖDP), underlined that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) had received the support of civil society, including the Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, during its fight against military tutelage in Turkish politics after 2002.

According to Uras, Erdoğan made a deal with Ergenekon and the militarist block in Turkey to finish off the Gülen movement despite the fact that it was his government that backed the Ergenekon trials.

Erdoğan accuses the movement of being behind the corruption scandal that implicated him and senior members of his government in December 2013, but has failed to show any concrete evidence to support his claims. The movement strongly rejects the accusations.

Ergenekon is a clandestine network made up of former and active military officers, journalists, academics, politicians and mafia leaders whose members were convicted by a court in August 2013 for attempting to overthrow the AK Party government.

While nearly 300 defendants in the Ergenekon case, a former chief of General Staff and military force commanders were sentenced to life without parole and handed down harsh sentences, the Constitutional Court ruled in June 2014 that a lower court had violated the right of 236 suspects in the Balyoz case to defend themselves and ordered a retrial. After the retrials, all of the defendants were released from jail and acquitted by the courts.

Veteran politician Uras claimed that several former military officers who took part in coup plots targeting Erdoğan’s governments were also acquitted as part of the compromise against the Gülen movement. “The Ergenekon’s coup plots, including Balyoz, were real. We used to hear from our sources about these plots at the beginning of the 2000s,” Uras said.

According to Uras, Erdoğan and his close associates paved the way for the retrial of the Ergenekon convicts after they claimed the Ergenekon and Sledgehammer trials were a “conspiracy” against the military prepared by sympathizers of the Gülen movement within the judiciary.

Then-Prime Minister Erdoğan’s chief adviser Yalçın Akdoğan wrote an op-ed piece in the Yeni Şafak daily in December 2014 claiming that the convicted officers had been framed by a group within the judiciary. He alleged that the same group has also orchestrated the sweeping corruption investigation targeting the government.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 22, 2015


Related News

Over 30 Turkish diplomats, families seek asylum in Germany

Nearly three dozen Turkish diplomats and family members have claimed asylum in Germany over alleged affiliation to the network of US-based opposition leader Fethullah Gulen, whom the government in Ankara claims to have masterminded the failed July 15 coup attempt.

Bank Asya mandates Goldman for strategic partnership

Bank Asya said on Wednesday it has mandated Goldman Sachs as its financial advisor for a strategic partnership, without providing further details.The Islamic lender made the announcement in a filing with the İstanbul stock exchange.

Wiretapped recordings erased on orders of new police chief

Earlier this year, claims emerged in the media that police officials in the Diyarbakır Police Department who are members of the Hizmet movement carried out a number of illegal wiretaps since 2008. The prosecutor, unconvinced by the police department’s response, began to examine the circumstances surrounding the whereabouts of the recordings. He questioned several police officers from the department and found that the recordings had been erased on the order of Police Chief Halis Böğürcü, who was appointed head of the Diyarbakır Police Department in early January.

Religious leaders in Philippines defend Turkish NGOs being linked to terrorism

De La Salle Philippines president Bro. Armin Luistro and leaders of religious groups on Tuesday expressed support to two non-government organizations being linked to terrorist organizations, noting the NGOs’ track records in peace-building.

Turkish “religious advisors” are keeping an eye on Erdogan opponents in Belgium

Turkey is pressuring “religious advisors” to keep an eye on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s opponents in 38 countries, including Belgium. In Belgium, how the religious councillor at the Turkish embassy behaved could be seen as interference.

Religious leader: I was told to blame Gülen movement for police banning my group meeting

Alparslan Kuytul, president of the Furkan Foundation and leader of a religious group critical of the Turkish government, said he was advised to put the blame on the faith-based Gülen movement for a police intervention in a meeting of his followers in April and that the government would ultimately clear the way for his group to operate freely.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ceremony canceled after Gülen’s relative wins short film contest

Most Turkish asylum seekers in Netherlands Gülen followers

The Middle East and Turkish civil Islam’s transformative influence on Islamism

Turkish Human Rights Violations Put Under Microscope

Turkish Cultural Center Hosts Food Drive

Erdogan’s war on education: The exodus of Turkey’s teachers

Deviation, crisis and opportunities…

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News