Well-known sociologist says Gülen’s name on terrorist list ’alarming’

Mark Webb. (Photo: Cihan)
Mark Webb. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: November 4, 2015

KAMİL ERGİN / SAO PAULO

The chairman of the philosophy department at Texas Tech University, prominent sociologist Mark Webb, has said that the branding of Fethullah Gülen as a terrorist, is a “very alarming development.”

Webb, who recently spoke at the opening ceremony of the annual meeting of the National Association of Graduate Studies and Research in Social Sciences (ANPOCS) in Brazil, told the Cihan news agency, “I’ve known about the [Hizmet] movement for, since, well 2004, so that’s what, 12 years now and I’ve never seen any reason to think that they have any kind of desire to take power, or desire to change anything.”

“They [those inspired by the Hizmet movement] just want to be free to do the service activities that they do,” said Webb, a specialist in the philosophy of religion. “So this turn of events is really surprising to us.”

The Hizmet movement, also known as the Gülen movement, is an international grassroots civil society organization inspired by the teachings of Islamic scholar Gülen. There are schools across the globe run by those who are sympathetic to Gülen’s teachings that are known for providing an education to students in underdeveloped countries, often the most underprivileged.

Webb’s statement comes days after the Ministry of the Interior launched a website with the names of the country’s most-wanted terrorists and included Gülen on the list.

The ministry categorized the names on the list according to different colors, with those in the red category being the most dangerous. Gülen is in the red category alongside senior terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) operatives such as Murat Karayılan, Cemil Bayık, Fehman Hüseyin and Duran Kalkan.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government launched a self-declared war against the Hizmet movement after a corruption probe went public on Dec. 17, 2013.

The investigation incriminated senior members of the government, the sons of three now-former ministers and government-affiliated figures and family members of then-Prime Minister Erdoğan. Erdoğan accused the Hizmet movement of being behind the probe and attempting to overthrow his government; the movement has denied the allegations.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 04, 2015


Related News

Latest practices of AK Party gov’t raise fears of ‘one-party state’

İstanbul branch chairman, Aziz Babuşcu, who said the removal of Hizmet movement sympathizers from state institutions started long before the corruption scandal broke on Dec. 17 of last year. Babuşcu’s remarks drew condemnations, with many accusing the AK Party of removing public servants that the party dislikes from duty and filling state institutions with party supporters.

Int’l symposium in Washington D.C. to discuss Hizmet’s contribution to world peace

An international symposium under the name of ‘The Hizmet Movement and PeaceBuilding” will be held on Oct. 25-26 in Washington D.C. In attendance at the symposium organized by Georgetown University, American University, Mount St. Mary’s University and the Rumi Forum will be numerous academics and scientists from more than 20 countries in six continents.

Foreign Policy’s emotional and biased journalism on Turkey

Ihsan Yilmaz On Jan. 11, 2012, Foreign Policy magazine published a piece titled “Behind the Bars in the Deep State” by Justin Vela. The piece is neither objective nor accurate. It is one-sided and biased. It is also prejudicial against the Hizmet (Gülen) movement. It fails to give a balanced picture of Turkish politics and […]

Turkish Repression Targets Americans

It’s an old story with dictators. If unopposed, they become ever more brazen in their aggression. Case in point: Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. On May 16, during a state visit to Washington, Erdoğan’s bodyguards beat up peaceful protesters, many of them American citizens, in front of the Turkish embassy. At least 11 protesters were injured.

Complainant says he was ‘fooled,’ apologizes to suspects in trial targeting Gülen followers

Thirteen suspects who were detained as part of an operation targeting followers of the Gülen movement in the central province of Sivas were released after the complainant in the case apologized to them at court and withdrew his complaint, saying he was “forced” by some to launch the case.

Baseless allegations damage publicly traded firms

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government has tried to scapegoat the Hizmet movement via conspiracy theories to evade attention stemming from the corruption allegations. A number of news stories broke soon after Ala’s claims, reporting that Bank Asya’s accounts were being scrutinized for misconduct.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Slanders against Hizmet Movement at highest level, which offends Anatolians

Path of Prophet offers solutions to social ills

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

Arabs, Turks attempt to redefine Arab uprisings, political trajectories

Mind-polluting leaks about Hizmet movement

Who is Fethullah Gulen?

Three political risks that Turkey might be exposed to

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News